Misfire after removing heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikecaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for reading my post. I have a 2012 ram 1500 5.7 big horn with 130k miles. It had a tick, which I assumed was the hydraulic lifters. I took the heads off and after checking the lifters realized it was probably the two broken exhaust manifold bolts causing the tick. My problem is after I put it all together it ran rough and I’m getting a multiple misfire code. Here’s a brief run down of what I’ve done:
1. Replaced the head gaskets. But I did put them on backward which obviously caused some leaking and misfires. I took the heads off again l, vacuumed out all the liquid and reinstalled the head gaskets in the correct side.
2. Since the lifters weren’t bad, I didn’t replace them.
3. I’ve taken all the coil packs off and cleaned all the contacts.

I’m leaning toward the plugs might have been damaged when I ran the truck with the head gaskets on the wrong side. The plugs were all replaced at appr 110k miles. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What condition is the cam and timing chain and gears in? are all the push rods seated? check the valves where your misfires are on, sounds like your timing didn't change does it have high idle hours, how's the oil pressure you should do the complete job, meaning cam, lifters, timing set, VVT solenoid and gaskets, Melling oil pump, your spark plugs should be ok, you should use a bench belt sander and true up your exhaust manifolds and replace the gaskets with Remflex gaskets.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would bet money a push rod is not clicked in happens every single time someone does a camshaft or pulls heads probably a intake pull valver covers re check them all also check your spark plug gaps I have had one case where i bent them while cleaning the heads.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Make sure you’ve got both heads grounds reattached , to each other and firewall/frame.

OP
OP
M

mikecaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the great advice all. I’ll check on the things you all pointed out. I’ve heard conflicting ideas on the pushrods and don’t look forward to taking the intake off again hahah

OP
OP
M

mikecaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve also heard that piston #1 needs to be top dead center. Is this true and how do I find that without access to the timing chain

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I’ve also heard that piston #1 needs to be top dead center. Is this true and how do I find that without access to the timing chain
Not true unless you need to redo timing. Make sure you are however slowly and incrementally tightening those rocker arm shafts. Turn engine over a few times and make sure every single rocker/pushrod is mated properly before putting valve covers and intake back on.