Mod Ideas Welcome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
New Ram owner and have some extra cash that I'm looking at putting into my 01 5.9. $350 is about the tops for now or I save it and put it towards something more expensive. As of now I have brand new 16" black/chrome wheels, brand new Euro headlights, Flowmaster super 44 and spray in bedlinner. Have already done all regular maintenance

I'm considering....
Swapping FM Supper 44 for Cherry Bomb extreme muffler
Black out tail lights
SCT Tuner
Black bull bar
Quality seat covers
CAI or 14x3 circle mopar filter
New 285's(would need to save for this one)
Bedlinner professionally sprayed on rocker panels(need to save for this one)

Suggestions and ideas are welcome!

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
If you've already fixed the plenum a tuner would open you up the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
If you've already fixed the plenum a tuner would open you up the most.

Have not yet done the plenum because it seems like it would be a far amount of work and would be rather difficult for someone with only decent mechanical skills... When I did my tune up, this is what it looked like down past the throttle butterfly... No pooled oil but looked dirty from oil...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 35

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Have not yet done the plenum because it seems like it would be a far amount of work and would be rather difficult for someone with only decent mechanical skills... When I did my tune up, this is what it looked like down past the throttle butterfly... No pooled oil but looked dirty from oil...

Get the engine hot, then run a bunch of Seafoam through the brake booster. That'll clean up the pan a bit so you can see if it's leaking or not.

If you aren't burning oil, there is a good chance it's not blown yet, but it's inevitable.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
After watching several detailed videos and discussions on the plenum fix, it seems a little over my head so I'll wait till I start burning oil and get it done by Dodge.... Other ideas what to do next to the Ram?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get the Cherry Bomb and a 14 x 3. lol Save your money for other stuff once the plenum is fixed.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sorry for beating a dead horse :beatdeadhorse5: but I read that you run the risk of sucking up water with the 14x3 round style filters. Is the gain from
swapping the stock air filter system worth the risk of sucking up water that gets into the engine bay? Or is the stock filter system just as susceptible to water?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're fording water deep enough to suck up water, you've got bigger problems then the engine at hand.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
You can get a prefilter for the 14x3 that will stop mud, dust, and other crap from clogging the filter. It'll also wick away splashing water, but if you submerge it not even the stock setup will protect it.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks for the info guys ^^^ I like the idea of the 14x3 with the prefiter over it to keep out mud puddle splashes or heavy driving rain. Does the pre filter restrict air flow and is it meant to be always over the filter or just when you are off-roading?

Worried about water from mud puddles/driving rain/snow getting inside and seizing motor.

Is it safer just to go with a cai with heatshield?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There are pros and cons to everything. I've known guys that do serious mudding and they've never had issues with the 14 x 3 becoming so *****'d that it allows water in. Depending on where the CAI is, you could have the same problem, if not worse.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Id just leave it stock myself, money for gains isnt really worth it....

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Id just leave it stock myself, money for gains isnt really worth it....

After hearing the potential negative a of aftermarket air filter system, I'm leaning towards keeping the stock air intake setup.
After all, only gain I may see is +1-2mpg and possibly 4-8hp gain and potential low end loss with 14x3... Not really worth it when you really think about it

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So switching gears from the air intake, what about offroad Y pipe? I register my truck in an area where we don't have omissions but do I still legally need to have a cat for street driving? Did a quick hit the cat with a wrench test and it doesn't seem clogged but I'm sure a high flow car or Y pipe would help out.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Technically if you remove the cat in any state you are now illegal because it is 50 state mandated. That being said....if you don't have emissions in your area, you can delete the cat. The off road y-pipe is a good option for smoothing out exhaust flow, but personally I would put a universal in/out cat on it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Just do as DD94 has suggested get a univesal cat and be done with it. I have never had cats on my truck from new until last month. There is zero loss in performance by using one or two cats like I did.

Edit: Heck I think my mpg went up with them, but have not ran the numbers as of yet to verify this.