Moe's Performance [email protected] - New 4th Gen N/A Record!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What more would you expect from a naturally aspirated truck? This setup will easily be good for an 11.9 in better air. And as I said in the original post, this is the first time out with a new heads/cam setup that we have not had the chance to tune yet. I have not seen many stock bottom end trucks of any make put down 11's without boost or nitrous.

I ran a supercharged 6.2 Denali in the first run of the video I posted, and he only ran a 13.3 @ 105mph. Trucks aren't meant to be fast, but it is fun to outrun cars that we are not supposed to beat.

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
That ever so elusive 12.41 standing in your way lol

Great job Matt!! Way to step up the game for the Ram platform!

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
With or without MDS?

Kidding--nice!

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Every village has one...

Congrats Matt. Can't wait to see this thing run this winter

Dude my last truck.was a tuned & ******* regular cab 15 powerstroke,so this truck feels like a HUGE **** to me power wise,sorry you feel otherwise about yours,maybe you'll get to drive your daddys truck some day huh.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Congrats op,wasn't trying to bust your bubble but just seems like alot of hassle for so little return to me,but i'm new to the hemi & had just thought they had more potential,hopefully you'll gain alot more out of it once its dialed in.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is considered good?

If my truck will never do any better then this,it's staying stock,as this is definitely not worth voiding the warranty over.
I guess I'll just build another stang & use the truck to haul trash & dead deer.

Dude, you need a reality check.

This is a 4,500 lb truck running the stock short block. Everything that Matt has done is a bolt on affair that anyone with even a minor amount of technical knowledge could do themselves with the exception of the custom rear axle mounts and brakes.

Everything else is really easy to do.

This truck will probably run 11s at close to 114 or 115 as soon as the weather gets cold. Even at his current time's he's probably making at least 400-450 at the wheels. Stock these trucks are probably 100hp less than that.

Even better, the 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0s run about a 13.0 flat in the quarter mile, and they can't do half of what a truck can. Sure, you can mod them, but they probably cost twice what Matt paid for this truck.

You can make whatever argument you want about a diesel truck being faster, but that's an entirely different monster. You can't compare a diesel truck to a gasoline one, especially one that's just bolt ons.

This is a huge accomplishment, for all of us. Any time a guy like Matt sets a new record for these trucks, it means we as consumers will be getting better products for our trucks. Personally I enjoy having a comfortable truck that's faster than a lot of sports cars and can still tow my race car Z06 to the track and get great MPGs driving to work on a daily basis.

How much weight can be saved with the 15's setup, can't see the wheels being much lighter. Is the gains in the rotors? Like being smaller and lighter.

Seems like a lot of work for little return. I see the GM guys do it but didn't understand why.

I remember a weight reduction list when I was on DT years ago. Is there a thread on here for the 4th gens. Being a 4.7 I need a lot the help I can get. I would just be happy to get a 13.9

It isn't just about the raw weight reduction. It's unsprung weight, meaning the suspension handles better without it. It's also rotational weight, meaning you actually make more power with less of it. The last, and probably most important part, is that the 15" wheels have a MUCH larger selection of tires for them, and you can run a MUCH larger sidewall on the same overall diameter tire, so you can get MUCH more grip.

Matt is going to be spraying some nitrous at some point unless his plans have changed, and you need some serious traction to do that off the line.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude my last truck.was a tuned & ******* regular cab 15 powerstroke,so this truck feels like a HUGE **** to me power wise,sorry you feel otherwise about yours,maybe you'll get to drive your daddys truck some day huh.

Why do you even own a RAM? All you do is ***** and moan about it. Do yourself a favor and go buy a Ford.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I only dropped about 10lbs by switching to the smaller rear brakes. The purpose of that was simply so that I could run a 30" tall slick for the nitrous...Nobody makes a true 30" slick for 17's.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If my truck will never do any better then this,it's staying stock,as this is definitely not worth voiding the warranty over.
I guess I'll just build another stang & use the truck to haul trash & dead deer.

So you had a 'built' Mustang but decided to buy a truck instead and make it go fast. But you could easily afford to build another car and keep both. But you didn't...because the truck should run 11's with bolt-on's as well. Yep, that makes sense. There is more bs going on here then a 17 year old with a new Honda.

Stop trolling when you have nothing useful to add.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Even better, the 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0s run about a 13.0 flat in the quarter mile, and they can't do half of what a truck can. Sure, you can mod them, but they probably cost twice what Matt paid for this truck.

I wouldn't go picking on too many new 5.0 Mustangs:) While I love the Ram/Hemi trucks, the math just isn't adding up there. And you can pick them up in the low 20's all day long now.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wouldn't go picking on too many new 5.0 Mustangs:) While I love the Ram/Hemi trucks, the math just isn't adding up there. And you can pick them up in the low 20's all day long now.

My brother has a 2012 5.0 that's bone stock and my truck is probably a little faster than his car. It's certainly a close race.

And yea, I'm aware that those 5.0s are in the low 20's. That's what I based my statement off of.

KBB is showing a 2011 Ram 1500 base model with the 5.7L hemi, which is what Matt's truck is, would have a private party value around $11,500 in good or great condition. If you get one with the AC broken in it like Matt did, you can expect to pay a good deal less than what KBB advertises. So about half the price of the same year 5.0 mustang, as I said.

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I only dropped about 10lbs by switching to the smaller rear brakes. The purpose of that was simply so that I could run a 30" tall slick for the nitrous...Nobody makes a true 30" slick for 17's.
29.5 in they do ;) M&H [emoji1]

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
29.5 in they do ;) M&H [emoji1]

The 390's are just too wide for NA passes though. They will no doubt slow me down N/A, and I don't think they would hook well enough to get me out of the hole on the new setup. I want a true slick for the nitrous and new motor setup.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My brother has a 2012 5.0 that's bone stock and my truck is probably a little faster than his car. It's certainly a close race.

And yea, I'm aware that those 5.0s are in the low 20's. That's what I based my statement off of.

KBB is showing a 2011 Ram 1500 base model with the 5.7L hemi, which is what Matt's truck is, would have a private party value around $11,500 in good or great condition. If you get one with the AC broken in it like Matt did, you can expect to pay a good deal less than what KBB advertises. So about half the price of the same year 5.0 mustang, as I said.

What's Matt's truck ran ET/MPH is what a stock 5.0 runs with sticky tires. Mine 2012 dyno'd at 394hp with nothing but a Ford Racing tune. With headers, intake and a good tune they usually make close to 440 at the wheel on a 3700 lb car. And Houston is pretty well known for its street scene (ie, lot's of modded Mustangs).

So certainly not taking away from Matt's accomplishments or your truck. Just said I wouldn't go picking on too many new 5.0's.