Mopars new turbo 6 cylinder Hurricane's appear to be very impressive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That is interesting a 6 cylinder. They say to use premium fuel in this engine. what is wrong with regular gas. So what the manufacturer is telling you you have to use this fuel instead. with the price of gas going up and I don't foresee it coming down in price anytime soon just means you are forced to buy the higher priced fuel as we are all struggling with the high cost of everything right now. What happens if you use the regular fuel is it going to blow up on you. Everyone is concerned about the fuel price and now they put an extra burden on you by saying you need to use the next grade of fuel. Didn't someone do their homework at the R&D to see if this was compatible or just here you go you must use this fuel with out doing their do diligence making sure that this works with regular fuel also without any hiccups. Just a thought what is everyone's take on this.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That is interesting a 6 cylinder. They say to use premium fuel in this engine. what is wrong with regular gas. So what the manufacturer is telling you you have to use this fuel instead. with the price of gas going up and I don't foresee it coming down in price anytime soon just means you are forced to buy the higher priced fuel as we are all struggling with the high cost of everything right now. What happens if you use the regular fuel is it going to blow up on you. Everyone is concerned about the fuel price and now they put an extra burden on you by saying you need to use the next grade of fuel. Didn't someone do their homework at the R&D to see if this was compatible or just here you go you must use this fuel with out doing their do diligence making sure that this works with regular fuel also without any hiccups. Just a thought what is everyone's take on this.
Re-read the article closer,there's 2 versions of the engine,i'd lay odds the higher horse version goes into the cars and hi-po Jeeps,and the 1500's will get the lower power version,that uses regular fuel. All you guys seem to pick up on is the high output version,i highly doubt the 1500's will get that engine.
They're comparing the high output version to the SRT 392,both require premium fuel

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My personal truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi with 145,000 miles. I have a Dioblo tuner with an 87 and 93 octane tune by Hemifever and I run the 87 tune 70% of the time with no "noticeable" issue performance or MPG wise. I'm very satisfied with it's performance and MPG. I have a 2012 Ram 2500 company truck with the 5.7 Hemi and no tune what so ever. The company is not going to buy anything but 87 octane so I have no choice. It has 222,000 miles on it and I don't know what the MPG difference would be between the 2 grades because it's never had anything but 87. I personally put 100,000 of the miles on it and I can't brag on the performance of it, I hear it spark knock (ping) at times and from idle to 3000 RPM it's a slouch but pulls good up to red line otherwise. Don't know if the tuner makes the difference in being able to run 87 or not but that's how it works for me!
Odds are the majority of 5.7 equipped 1500's get 87 or the cheapest fuel the average consumer can buy. There's only a select few owners who will buy the high priced fuel for their trucks,the average owner is gonna buy the cheapest fuel available,and probably change oil when the oil change indicator comes on.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Odds are the majority of 5.7 equipped 1500's get 87 or the cheapest fuel the average consumer can buy. There's only a select few owners who will buy the high priced fuel for their trucks,the average owner is gonna buy the cheapest fuel available,and probably change oil when the oil change indicator comes on.
Funny thing is I put only 93 in my Challenger and everything thing I've ever owned before. This is the first time I put a tuner on one and since he put an 87 tune on it I gave it a try. I just can't find any fault with it so I can't make myself buy more expensive gas for any reason when I can't tell the difference. I will spend the extra money for more performance. Just not going to spend more money and get nothing "noticeable" in return. Lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

It won't blow up, it just won't make as much power. The computers are smart enough to detune the vehicle for lower octane gas and you won't damage it, but you won't get the hp/tq you'd get with the higher octane. Plenty of vehicles on the road with the same setup, from naturally aspirated LS family motors to Ford's Ecoboost.

My car takes 91 octane. I knew that going in, as I did what plates and insurance would run. Got to figure in carrying costs as well when you buy a major asset.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do you suppose they'll keep Hemi in production just for the heavy duty series? I think I read somewhere 70% of heavy duties had Cummins. I can see that with all the contractors and ranchers out there. Don't know how long I can milk my 2017, it seems to be holding up well. I really like the 6.4L Hemi.

I'm not so sure anymore as I just saw the other day on Reddit that Ram had sent out a questionaire to new 6.4 truck owners asking them if they'd consider the turbo in a newer truck :boxed:

I'm about as far from a Ford fan as you can find, but I'd buy a Ford 7.3 super duty before a hurricane 2500, not even a contest.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm not so sure anymore as I just saw the other day on Reddit that Ram had sent out a questionaire to new 6.4 truck owners asking them if they'd consider the turbo in a newer truck :boxed:

I'm about as far from a Ford fan as you can find, but I'd buy a Ford 7.3 super duty before a hurricane 2500, not even a contest.

wtf?! What are they asking new owners for? They are the LEAST likely to buy in the near future!!! Crikey - ask me!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would love a turbo charged 6 cylinder for my uses, why not? I only tow a 5 x 10 trailer, at worst it is 3-5k loaded. I would take a turbo over a hemi, but I would want a pi turbo and not a di turbo. I would gladly give back 50hp for the privilege as well. What a port injection turbo gives you over a direct injection, no super knock. You have an engine that is 15% less efficient then a di, but it is gonna last. I just don't like the direction they take with no options.

Toyota uses a pi/di which is supposed to lessen the chances of knock, pot injection at low pm's, then di kicks in. But sounds complicated when the perfect option is to hand back the hose power and say no thanks, and pick up the longevity. The next generation of people are gonna be much more interested in longevity above all else, but it isnt gonna be thee for them.

What would you rather have, a PI that is 350 HP gonna be the same mileage give or take, o a DI that is 400HP but is susceptible to super knock? Maybe most guys will still want the HP, but I'm sure of few of us ol teds would go the other route. I don't want to buy a new truck every 5 or 10 years, I'd rather have my truck out last me if possible.
MAKES sense to this ole BOIRD. I have read, and one person told me, TOYOTA having issues with the new re-designed Tundra which is a 6 cylinder with twin turbo's. For unknown reason, the PAX side turbo's on a lot of the engines going bad, some with 300 miles on engine. I hope they get the bugs fixed cause Turbo's for me have always been a hmmmm, considering I had a 2016 ED. But that was the Gen 2 ED engine with some known issues also.

BUT YEAH, I would give up 50 HP in a Heartbeat to have longevity.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I am just the odd BOIRD here. Change oil/rotate tires every 5,000 miles and run 89 Top Tier Fuel. The only thing I do with the Oil Life Indicator is reset it to 100% when change oil. I have never relied on stuff like that, I watch odometer and change at specific interval. Also, I always (Army PMCS habit), check all fluids on truck every 2 weeks. If I think the oil needs changing, may do intermediate change (depending upon how hard I am working truck, usually just Grocery getting tho). I probably should do a UOA on oil, but with less than 20K on odometer, not that worried.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess I am just the odd BOIRD here. Change oil/rotate tires every 5,000 miles and run 89 Top Tier Fuel. The only thing I do with the Oil Life Indicator is reset it to 100% when change oil. I have never relied on stuff like that, I watch odometer and change at specific interval. Also, I always (Army PMCS habit), check all fluids on truck every 2 weeks. If I think the oil needs changing, may do intermediate change (depending upon how hard I am working truck, usually just Grocery getting tho). I probably should do a UOA on oil, but with less than 20K on odometer, not that worried.
You're not the odd bird on here,but in the realm of the real world and the average consumer,the guys on here usually treat their trucks a little better then most,and in that case we are the odd bird per say.The average owners usually aren't on forums,lol

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're not the odd bird on here,but in the realm of the real world and the average consumer,the guys on here usually treat their trucks a little better then most,and in that case we are the odd bird per say.The average owners usually aren't on forums,lol
YEA, I am in the Old Crusty tailfeathers ODD Boird Club... IMHO, very humble, as expensive that these rolling computers are, spending a lil more "change" above the minimum for better parts and MX is the Big Ticket. But I guess I just putter around, hee hee. Was running 85 MPH bout 2 weeks ago on IH 35, so not always Baby the ride, but boy do I keep up on MX, friggin Military, some things are just Burned into yer Brain Pan.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Turbos have been around a long time. They're nothing new. It's how they are APPLIED that makes or breaks a new engine's performance and reputation.

The variable vane science fair turbos in diesels provide everything promised - for a hefty price tag and questionable vane actuation life (carbons up). But that's for diesels - where you can blast as much pressure into the cylinder as possible before you throw a rod or blow a head.

Spark ignited engines are an ENTIRELY different application for consumer usage. If you want such engines to last, you can't just overpressure the $hit outta them.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turbos have been around a long time. They're nothing new. It's how they are APPLIED that makes or breaks a new engine's performance and reputation.

The variable vane science fair turbos in diesels provide everything promised - for a hefty price tag and questionable vane actuation life (carbons up). But that's for diesels - where you can blast as much pressure into the cylinder as possible before you throw a rod or blow a head.

Spark ignited engines are an ENTIRELY different application for consumer usage. If you want such engines to last, you can't just overpressure the $hit outta them.
Yeah, the mechanics on the stuff is just really beyond my 67 Chevy etc driveway experience. The closest I got to pushing power was dropping a triple deuce on a 440 Magnum, and also on a 383 in a Chrysler 300 back in the (day). Decades ago.

When I was like 18, my next door neighbor had a 63 Mercury Comet in the driveway with 289 that "he" rebuilt. When he was done, he had a 1 quart coffee can with a few extra parts. I looked, and in the can was a "push rod" that did not get installed. Needless to say, off came the top of the motor. Lessons learned, pay attention to details. Kinda like the Measure Twice, Cut Once scenario. My wife always called me the "wood" butcher. My skills at cutting a straight line are marginal at best. :anitoof::banghead:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Variable turbos are decades old, used them back in the late 80's prototypes, but the first production Mopar with them was in 1989.
Again, very cutting edge for the time.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
wtf?! What are they asking new owners for? They are the LEAST likely to buy in the near future!!! Crikey - ask me!
I got that questionnaire too.
I have no interest in getting another truck in the near future, or ever...
Frankly, by the time I'm ready for something else everything will most likely be electric...

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right now, the guys ahead of the curve are buying every low/medium mileage 6.4 BGE engine they can.
I just bought a used 2018 Ram 1500 with a Hemi and only 55,000 miles. I plan on keeping this until it is dead and there are no parts around to repair it. I have zero interest in an EV and the more it’s forced upon us, the more I resent it. I also have no interest in a turbo. I’m fine with a straight 6, just no turbo. I love the old Ford 300 in-line 6, and the GM 292. But a turbo? No thanks.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a used 2018 Ram 1500 with a Hemi and only 55,000 miles. I plan on keeping this until it is dead and there are no parts around to repair it. I have zero interest in an EV and the more it’s forced upon us, the more I resent it. I also have no interest in a turbo. I’m fine with a straight 6, just no turbo. I love the old Ford 300 in-line 6, and the GM 292. But a turbo? No thanks.
BOIRD's feeling exactly.