Morimoto headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
So there are some good and some not so good things to report.

First off the headlights appear to fit okay. Output is good. I'd say they fall right where we think. On par maybe slightly better than a drop in HID. They don't touch a FXR retrofit or something to that effect I think. For me the headlights were plug and play. Also I have my day time running lights enabled and they function perfectly.

The not so good. The high beams do not function without the headlight on. Pull the stalk and the shutter clicks but no light. With the headlights on they work as intended. Also I am getting bulb out error messages for both turn signals. So it looks like there are some bugs to be worked out. Can't say I'm to happy about that but it wasn't entirely unexpected.

So I did take a lot of pictures and here we go. Please ask away and I will do my best to answer. If you want a fast response quote this reply and I'll get a notification.

Box:
full

Out of Box:
full

full

full

OEM Headlight for fitment and output comparison:
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

MGD81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Those things are badass, think i'll wait until the bugs get worked out but eventually i'll buy.

OP
OP
Dejaclue

Dejaclue

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Day time running lights comparison:

full

Both installed:

full

full
full

full

full

full

full

Output:

full
Are your daytime running lights turned on from the dealer and if so, do the drl’s on the Morimoto’s function as they should? Meaning, do they work with the lights off.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are your daytime running lights turned on from the dealer and if so, do the drl’s on the Morimoto’s function as they should? Meaning, do they work with the lights off.

I turned on my day time running lights using AlfaOBD and yes it all functions perfectly. I am uploading a video to youtube to show this.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Arth, great write up and thank you very much. This was very useful info for all of us!

They look great on your truck!

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned on my day time running lights using AlfaOBD and yes it all functions perfectly. I am uploading a video to youtube to show this.

Did you need to run a separate wire for the DRL's? Also, you've got a whole bunch of wires / connectors there so I guess these don't just plug into the one big connector the stock headlights use?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you need to run a separate wire for the DRL's? Also, you've got a whole bunch of wires / connectors there so I guess these don't just plug into the one big connector the stock headlights use?

I didn't need to use the fuse tap and seperate wire for the DRL because I activated my DRL.

As far as connections yes it was only one plug into my factory harness and that was it. All that excess I feel like could have been placed internal to the headlight.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a short video showing the headlights in action.

DRL, parking, low beams, high beams, reverse order, and then turn signal functions with headlights off and DRL on.

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't need to use the fuse tap and seperate wire for the DRL because I activated my DRL.

As far as connections yes it was only one plug into my factory harness and that was it. All that excess I feel like could have been placed internal to the headlight.

Really? So all those wires and connectors you show are there just for the hell of it? You don't actually connect to any of them? If that's the case that is VERY poor design! If FCA can get everything inside Morimoto should be able to as well.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really? So all those wires and connectors you show are there just for the hell of it? You don't actually connect to any of them? If that's the case that is VERY poor design! If FCA can get everything inside Morimoto should be able to as well.

The other wires are probably for people running stock quads, they use 2 separate connectors instead of the big 1.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Thanks for the great write up!! Lil disappointed there are a few bugs but hopefully they take care of us. Sadly I gotta wait til March for mine since i have the quad headlights. Wondering if my truck even has a drl function to turn on or if I should just use the fuse tap. Either way I'm excited to see how they will look on the truck
20190214_071120.jpg

!natron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great to see the lights showing up. They look awesome! If anyone that got them early is not happy with them I would be interested in purchasing them from you!

!natron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Where did you get the harness from to change the programming?

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They look great glad to see they are finally hitting the streets. I wonder what changed from the original video though, it shows that the turn signal were flashing sequentially starting from inside going out.

Turncoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m curious if you having your DRL’s activated is causing your bulb out error.

DeepDigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m curious if you having your DRL’s activated is causing your bulb out error.

I kinda thought the same, but after going to the Morimoto website and reviewing the install instructions, I see that it makes no difference. The way they show for Canadian trucks would be the same for those in the US having the DRL enabled.

TotemUs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own yet
Engine
Not yet purchased
I’m currently with Ford but lurk into RAM as I’m looking at 1500 as one of potential replacements for my current F150.

I’ve been running Morimoto XB LEDs on my Ford for 3 months for now and can share the experience.

The lights look awesome. Much better than stock halogen on both RAM and Ford.

They outperform the halogens hands down, as well as Anzo (aftermarket projectors). They don’t get close to the professional HID retrofit. I know because I ran retrofitted D2S projectors with Osram bulbs before switching to XB LEDs. Phillips or Osram HIDs in the quality projector will outperform XB LEDs.

Morimoto issues several “updates” to the XB LEDs since the first release.
1. FM interference. They provided additional harness that stuffs inside the assembly to defeat the interference.
2. LED bars dimming issue. The LED bars did not dim with the low beams on. Another dimming harness.
3. Some trucks experienced hyperflash. Yet another harness.

I also do not understand a poor design of the back side with all the harnesses exposed and hanging on the outside.

I had to tear the truck front end apart 3 times to work on the lights. One of the lenses fogs. Literally - one lens on the inside.

The above issues might not be relevant to RAMs, but wanted to share - the first generation of the headlights has a room for improvement. If you are on the line to purchase my advice would be wait until Morimoto irons the bugs out.

It is a quality looking product with a lot of potential, but Morimoto needs to do more rigorous testing and work on the connections and harness design. Morimoto/TRS as usually stand behind their products and release fixes and always respond to the claims, but for $1500 I’d expect a product perfectly functional from day 1.

The look:
2f602f0345085e9b66a451e4cf000cf3.jpg

The fog:
6b27483b85bc3cfcae301abea8905622.jpg

Again - just sharing my opinion in the spirit to help the truck guys from the friendly RAM forum :)

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a short video showing the headlights in action.

DRL, parking, low beams, high beams, reverse order, and then turn signal functions with headlights off and DRL on.

So what’s the next step with the bulb out error. This is my fear. I have quad headlights not the stock projectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The light output looks pretty good, similar to HID's it seems. The errors though are concerning as mentioned. My worry is that if I ordered now there would be a lot of installing and removing and shipping back and forth to finally get all the kinks out which I really don't want to do. Looks like I'll be waiting until they figure things out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerred17