Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilligaf-23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 1500 with projector headlights. I need to get new headlights and everything says if I have projector, certain lights wont work. Is this true if i'm replacing the whole housing? Do I have to stay with projector or can I install any headlight? I also want to switch to led.
Are there any headlights recommended

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck came with the OEM projectors, the connectors are different vs the OEM quads. When searching, you need to make sure they don't say w/ factory halogen non-projector headlights. Take a look here and you'll see what I mean- Headlights.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right now, the best bang on the market in terms of a quality all led housing is the form lighting housings. They are direct replacements for either style of headlights since they come with all the necessary harnesses. You can see my thread on them a few posts down.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 1500 with projector headlights. I need to get new headlights and everything says if I have projector, certain lights wont work. Is this true if i'm replacing the whole housing? Do I have to stay with projector or can I install any headlight? I also want to switch to led.
Are there any headlights recommended

I used these Fahren LED bulbs in my Warlock and they were plug-and-play, with no flicker or bulb-out notification problems. In the high beam, they are spectacularly bright. The low beams are a massive improvement over the halogen but not as impressive as the high beams.

One caveat, my high beam bulbs are 10,000 lumens (bought in the US), and the low beams are 9000 lumens (bought in Canada). The 1000-lumen difference may not be the reason for the performance difference, the low beam projector lens I have are quite different from the high beams.

I asked Fahren why their Canadian 9005 bulb from Amazon was older and less powerful. They responded by sending me a new set of the latest version of 9005s with 10,000-lumen bulbs, I haven't installed them yet.

The projectors in my truck use 9005s for both low and high beams. Other projectors use H11s & 9005s, you used to be able to buy a kit of 4 bulbs from Fahren, 2xH11s & 2x9005s.

If you decide to use Fahren, be aware that they make several different profiles that may or may not allow the back cover on the housing to be installed.

The dimensional size details are shown in one of the pictures listed on Amazon.

The bulbs linked above are the lower profile and fit the projectors in my truck, allowing the back cover to be installed, I suspect the larger profile Fahren bulb will not.

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd take one headlight out and get the bulb number from the bulbs currently in your truck. There's a lot of variance between trucks/housings, and I got caught with the wrong bulb just this weekend. In my particular case, I needed 9012/9005's. I used Lasfits off amazon for the low beams and Sealights for the highs. I also got yellow from Sealight for the fog as well since apparently yellow beams scatter less which is why they're superior for fog. The new bulbs are wildly better than stock.. I adjusted them to make sure I don't blind everyone and the highs are just out of this world bright haha, it's like daytime with them on. Also, some people do the change without popping the grille off but its 4 quick bolts and makes the job easier, especially if you want to adjust them.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are different plugs. Some need an adapter. We can get you set up. The 2 top brands that we recommend are Morimoto and Alpharex. Message me and we can discuss options and pricing

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd take one headlight out and get the bulb number from the bulbs currently in your truck. There's a lot of variance between trucks/housings, and I got caught with the wrong bulb just this weekend. In my particular case, I needed 9012/9005's. I used Lasfits off amazon for the low beams and Sealights for the highs. I also got yellow from Sealight for the fog as well since apparently yellow beams scatter less which is why they're superior for fog. The new bulbs are wildly better than stock.. I adjusted them to make sure I don't blind everyone and the highs are just out of this world bright haha, it's like daytime with them on. Also, some people do the change without popping the grille off but its 4 quick bolts and makes the job easier, especially if you want to adjust them.
Bulb sizes are stamped right into the headlight lens on the bottom. No need to remove the bulbs. If they don't say 9005 or whatever, they'll say hb3 or something similar. Every housing I've used that had replaceable bulbs had been this way.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The projectors in my truck use 9005s for both low and high beams. Other projectors use H11s & 9005s, you used to be able to buy a kit of 4 bulbs from Fahren, 2xH11s & 2x9005s.
Projectors prior to the '16 model year use a 9012 for the low beam. H11 is for the Quad reflector housing low beam. 9005 is the high beam for both projector and Quad housings.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Projectors prior to the '16 model year use a 9012 for the low beam. H11 is for the Quad reflector housing low beam. 9005 is the high beam for both projector and Quad housings.

Do you know what the difference is between a 9005 SI+ and a 9005 LL?

These were the halogen bulbs used in my '21 Projector housings.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you know what the difference is between a 9005 SI+ and a 9005 LL?
My understanding is the 9005SL+ is an overdriven to 65w bulb and the 9005LL is just a standard Long Life bulb.
If you really want to up the brightness while sticking with halogens, swap the 9005 for HIR1/9011 bulbs. Need to pay attention to the manufacturer specs for the bulbs as they can vary.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding is the 9005SL+ is an overdriven to 65w bulb and the 9005LL is just a standard Long Life bulb.
If you really want to up the brightness while sticking with halogens, swap the 9005 for HIR1/9011 bulbs. Need to pay attention to the manufacturer specs for the bulbs as they can vary.

Thanks, I was just curious.

I am finished with using Halogen bulbs. LED bulbs, cost less and provide a huge improvement, AFAIC. :cool:

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought some Auxito Y13 9005 LEDS for my 16 w/ projectors. They are replacing some 4yr old Hikari. They are plenty bright enough for me. They were an improvement over the Hikari which is saying something because the Hikari were like someone turned the lights on in the room compared to the stock halogens.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought some Auxito Y13 9005 LEDS for my 16 w/ projectors. They are replacing some 4yr old Hikari. They are plenty bright enough for me. They were an improvement over the Hikari which is saying something because the Hikari were like someone turned the lights on in the room compared to the stock halogens.

These lights look great.

Do they have a rotational base to allow clocking to 9 & 3?

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bulb sizes are stamped right into the headlight lens on the bottom. No need to remove the bulbs. If they don't say 9005 or whatever, they'll say hb3 or something similar. Every housing I've used that had replaceable bulbs had been this way.
Oh, well thats great advice haha! I did not notice that - I'll have to check it out tonight.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks, that's a fantastic tidbit that would have saved me from initially buying the wrong set of bulbs, and maybe others, too. :cool:

20240131_204909.jpg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Wondering if you have had personal experience with this brand?
I have a set of ModifyStreet Pro series in my truck for several years now, Alpharex is the manufacturer of the ModifyStreet brand.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is also a little dot on the lens. That is the center point reference for measuring the height when leveling on the wall.

That center dot is mentioned at 4:13 in the video I used to learn how to verify headlight alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat