Morimoto xb vertical fogs installed. Small review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No you need to take the assembly apart to get the laminX on properly. The laminX is wider than the bezel so it covers the lens properly. Also I highly advise against a wet application. You are far more likely to run into problems and the film is small and less forgiving.

You just need put it on dry. Clean the lenses with a ammonia free glass cleaner or alcohol. Then make sure you throughly wash all the oils and dirt off your hands then go and immediately peel the laminX off of the backing trying to touch as little of the adhesive as possible. Line up the laminX and let the center of the laminX adhere to the center of the lens (if it’s not perfect you can pop it back off and reposition it). Once you have it lined up how you want it with the center of the laminX adhered to the center of the lens take your thumb and start from the middle and press the laminX down slowly working your way out to the sides of the lens little by little. Don’t push one side down all the way to the edge more than any other side. you have to progress a little bit on all sides working your way out until the film is fully adhered. Then take a blow dryer or heat gun and heat the film. This will help it stick better (which you won’t get with the wet method) And will shrink air pockets if there are any at all. If you notice that any air pockets are forming you will be able to peel the film back and fix it.

If you do decide to do the wet method let it sit for 2 to 3 days to make sure the water completely evaporates. Probably would be a good idea to hit it with a blow dryer right before you install the lights on the truck to further help adhesion. I can’t stress enough that you have to give it several days to dry. If it’s not fully dry and you put it on the truck and drive it. The wind could lift the film in spots and get dirt under it. Then it’s ruined. The dry method is not hard and it gives a much better result and you can install them on the truck immediately.

Here’s a picture of the laminX installed dry. 7acfe21c2b994e7a9bddbff4eab500af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well farts, they went on the truck yesterday.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also with the washer I can’t get them low enough they are crazy high and the adjuster spring is fully compressed

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also with the washer I can’t get them low enough they are crazy high and the adjuster spring is fully compressed

You’ll probably need a much thinner washer.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don’t think you have yours assembled correctly. Mine were the same way at first so I removed them and realized I didn’t have it between the two sections, it was up above.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks identical to the pictures on page 1, I just cant get them low enough. Im not sure what could be wrong, Ive messed with them last night and with the adjuster they will drop down, hit a point then start going up so that made no sense as well.

One annoying point was the fact I had to dremel out the mount to get them to fit, which makes it impossible to reuse the stock fogs.

As well how hard is it to separate the housing to apply the Laminx? Ill eventually figure out how to aim them properly regardless it be shim or adjuster, but how to get it apart to get the Laminx proper is a good question.

Last edited:

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Looking to possibly purchase a set, are you guys happy with them for the most part?

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks identical to the pictures on page 1, I just cant get them low enough. Im not sure what could be wrong, Ive messed with them last night and with the adjuster they will drop down, hit a point then start going up so that made no sense as well.

One annoying point was the fact I had to dremel out the mount to get them to fit, which makes it impossible to reuse the stock fogs.

As well how hard is it to separate the housing to apply the Laminx? Ill eventually figure out how to aim them properly regardless it be shim or adjuster, but how to get it apart to get the Laminx proper is a good question.

3 Phillips head screws. Takes 2 seconds.

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to possibly purchase a set, are you guys happy with them for the most part?

Yes but if you don’t care about beam pattern and just want obnoxious brightness I’d say you should just get some led bulbs. GTR GEN 3 is what I had in my stock housings and they were crazy bright, but they were sloppy.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

i haven't gotten to play with the vertical set, but if they're anything like the horizontal set, there is adjustment via the OEM set screw, AND with an allen screw that is a part of the foglight projector itself. maybe they were just not adjusted properly from the factory and the OEM set screw can't compensate enough to bring them down?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i haven't gotten to play with the vertical set, but if they're anything like the horizontal set, there is adjustment via the OEM set screw, AND with an allen screw that is a part of the foglight projector itself. maybe they were just not adjusted properly from the factory and the OEM set screw can't compensate enough to bring them down?

Im thinking this might be the case. As the do not fit the bumper as some guys are saying the same as me they sit oddly, and others say they are dead on. My truck is a Bighorn no accidents to that takes that out of the equation, although I do have a leveling kit set at 2.8 so Im a tad nose high, which morimoto may not have taken into account.

Im going to pull them off when I get the yellow film, and see how much I can aim them down in the housing and see if the factory set screw will get me down enough. If not Ill shim the housing, one way or another I will stop blinding people.

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a pretty photogenic snow so I figured I’d go out back and get some shots of the truck with the new lights. dd090fce9b1ab23b95d7c0fc5b90d8a9.jpg75c1ababf265f69c501e7997b1fa2e3f.jpgb992b3ab39ab28733fb31f445b8ee8d9.jpg71cdcd89dc60faff1fc058a92eb17135.jpg2ac43b53c6522ad8d42d83b0001d6ab3.jpg

Looks awesome

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine

I installed mine yesterday and drove around last night. In short, they are not incredibly bright. Although they burn at 5500k (bright white) they only produce 1200 lumens on each side (2400 total). So they don’t throw light much further than your standard halogen, but you can pick up a subtle reflection on road signs a little further out than your standard halogen.

If you are looking to push out crazy light and illuminate the night sky with your fogs than just buy standard led’s for your factory housing. If you are looking for a true fog light that looks super good matched up to your factory projectors then buy these.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Im thinking this might be the case. As the do not fit the bumper as some guys are saying the same as me they sit oddly, and others say they are dead on. My truck is a Bighorn no accidents to that takes that out of the equation, although I do have a leveling kit set at 2.8 so Im a tad nose high, which morimoto may not have taken into account.

Im going to pull them off when I get the yellow film, and see how much I can aim them down in the housing and see if the factory set screw will get me down enough. If not Ill shim the housing, one way or another I will stop blinding people.

After I installed mine yesterday I found my passenger side was lower when fully raised. I pulled it back out and found the philips head screws on each side of the projector. I loosened them, rotated the projector up a couple of millimeters (maxed out) and fixed the problem. Then I lowered them to my desired height using the standard adjustment screw.

There are three other screws securing the projector to the housing with factory spacers. If all else fails you can probably add thin washers to one of the spacers to increase or decrease hieght.

Last edited:

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed mine yesterday and drove around last night. In short, they are not incredibly bright. Although they burn at 5500k (bright white) they only produce 1200 lumens on each side (2400 total). So they don’t throw light much further than your standard halogen, but you can pick up a subtle reflection on road signs a little further out than your standard halogen.

If you are looking to push out crazy light and illuminate the night sky with your fogs than just buy standard led’s for your factory housing. If you are looking for a true fog light that looks super good matched up to your factory projectors then buy these.

That’s somewhat disappointing, considering the price point of around $200, I would expect a bit more out of them.

So brightness and throw are not much more than OEM?

OP
OP
mpress2570

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s somewhat disappointing, considering the price point of around $200, I would expect a bit more out of them.

That’s basically due to the fact that they’re DOT certified. So to keep it legal they can’t be crazy bright. They should’ve thrown out the DOT certification.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine

Brightness is there without question 5500K bright white. Throw is definitely lacking at 1200 lumens each compared to standard LED in factory housing.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After I installed mine yesterday I found my passenger side was lower when fully raised. I pulled it back out and found the philips head screws on each side of the projector. I loosened them, rotated the projector up a couple of millimeters (maxed out) and fixed the problem. Then I lowered them to my desired height using the standard adjustment screw.

There are three other screws securing the projector to the housing with factory spacers. If all else fails you can probably add thin washers to one of the spacers to increase or decrease hieght.

These will be attempted tonight or tomorrow.