Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi have a few questions I know someone on here can answer for me. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi with a single exhaust out the passenger side behind the rear wheel. I'm looking to change the Muffler to a Magna flow, either an eighteen inch or 14 inch. I know Mufflex makes these but I think I can save a few $$ by just getting the Muffler. Question is Is the exhaust pipe 3 inches in and 3 inches out? Second question is the pipes going into the Muffler Center in and Offset out or Center in and Center out? It's hard to tell by the pics I've been able to find. Also hard to find good sound clips of the 14 and 18 inch I was recommended to install the 14 inch but not sure if it's going to be to loud. Thanks for the help.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
AS YOU GO DOWN, IN SIZE, THE LOUDER YORU EXHAUST GETS.

doN;T WORRY ABOUT TEH PIPE SIZE, ANY GOOD MUFFLER SHOP CAN DEAL WITH IT.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You need a 3in inlet and dual 2.25 outlet if you have the dual rear tips of you have a single behind the rear tire it's 3in inlet and 3in out. The smaller the muffler the louder but if your leaving you resonator I would go with the 14 it's pretty tame in running a 14in mbrp with stock resonators and it's very mellow.

OP
OP
G

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks 14 is it 3inch center and 3 inch offset as I do have a single out. Was contemplating the 14 inch mufflex but was unsure of the loudness.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
on the magnaflow 14" what sounds better resonators on or off.
I have 13 ram factory duels and 5.7 liter
really trying to avoid the drone sound
Will be adding a cai once I make my mind up on which one to get
thanks

OP
OP
G

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will the 14 inch mufflex be as loud with my single exhaust pipe as it is with the duels? Will the sound be the same?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the single and went with the 18" Magnaflow. It made a good difference, but it still sounded muffled so I removed the resonator. Then it was perfect on the outside, but the drone inside was really bad (wife not happy).

Found a factory dual for real cheap so I replaced the muffler for another 18" Magnaflow and kept the resonator, it's a little less louder than the single (no resonator), but the drone is not as bad (wife is ok with it)

OP
OP
G

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know about the drone without the resonators. The 14 sounds like the way to go just don't want it to end up being to loud.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
14 is perfect to my ears but everyone has a different perspective in regards to sound.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
G

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you're right sound and noise level is subjective as is cab noise some say minimal some say minimal when I have my stereo turned up halfway. Don't want to put a 14 on and have the police pull me over for excessive noise like they did with my Harley lol.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
on the magnaflow 14" what sounds better resonators on or off.
I have 13 ram factory duels and 5.7 liter
really trying to avoid the drone sound
Will be adding a cai once I make my mind up on which one to get
thanks
Will be the exact same either way.

Wasted my money taking off the resonators trying to getva better sound.. The flowmaster super 44 worked better :)

The 14" magnaflow just sounded too deep and muffled to me, with rumble only on cold starts.

Also felt like I lost top end power.

We all have different taste... But if you must have magnaflow, and you want it to sound like a truck, get something under 14"... Its not anywhere near as bad as you think.

IMO

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
you're right sound and noise level is subjective as is cab noise some say minimal some say minimal when I have my stereo turned up halfway. Don't want to put a 14 on and have the police pull me over for excessive noise like they did with my Harley lol.
A cop won't even notice you're there with a 14 magnaflow.

IMO

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
G

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question Will the lack of back pressure with a 14inch mufflex affect the engine mds or anything else?

OP
OP
G

gypsy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does the Borla Pro XS 14 inch compare to the Magnaflow ? hard to find sound xlips of it.