Multi-function tailgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
I have a 2019 Ram Laramie and the only thing I wish I had gotten is the multi function tailgate. Other than that my truck is perfect for me. Do like that split tailgate though... next truck...

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I got one of these on my 2020 Longhorn. LOVE IT!!! It makes bed use so much easier. Only downfall I believe is the weight of the setup, as it took away some cargo carrying capacity from my truck. The whole bed is different, as the mechanism takes up some space in the gate area, and the gate is made of some seriously strong steel. But in use it's very smooth and looks normal in either opening method other than the odd line down the gate near the middle.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a Honda Ridgeline for along time with side opening tailgate, trunk too! but yeah really miss that tailgate. It’s not a spilt in the middle like the Ram but really made it easy for getting stuff out of the bed. Never any issue with it except for hinge and linkage lubrication. Would certainly want that option for my next truck.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Remember the bed is beefed up if you get the MF tailgate.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I went to do a build with the multifunction tailgate it added $3,635 to the MSRP for the truck as to get it I had to order the tailgate for $995 AND the Level 1 Equipment Group for an additional $1,795 AND the Bed Utility Group for $845. I like the new tailgate but feel like I am being asked to bend over and take it from Ram. To many other ways to deal with loads in the bed of the truck that provide more utility at less cost.
Wow -thats alot of dough!! $3,635. And why do you have to pay $995 for a tailgate? Wouldnt the truck include one from the start?

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow -thats alot of dough!! $3,635. And why do you have to pay $995 for a tailgate? Wouldnt the truck include one from the start?
No...it sucks because for some specific. Things require a level trim. When I was building my ram, qnd wanted the panoramic roof, it was dumping me to level 2...and i didn't want some of those feature.

I think im not doing to do any purchases...because i want to see what November/December deals.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

Coupe427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No...it sucks because for some specific. Things require a level trim. When I was building my ram, qnd wanted the panoramic roof, it was dumping me to level 2...and i didn't want some of those feature.

I think im not doing to do any purchases...because i want to see what November/December deals.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

You have to play with the options and be careful of when it tries to change things. I just purchased a 20 laramie with level 1 and panoramic roof. It can be done.

I also have a bakflip F1 on my truck and although I don't have the mft, from the design of the cover, it would work well with it.

beepster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see no advantage in the "split" tailgate. I would have much preferred a step up option (like Ford or GM) even though that feature is useless with trailer attached. As we get older, crawling in and out of the bed becomes more challenging...

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
more hinges, more latches, more seams, more weight. I tend to keep trucks for 20+ years, so the less gizmos the better. Also more surface and seams,nooks and crannies, to be a future rust spot. Not for me.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see no advantage in the "split" tailgate. I would have much preferred a step up option (like Ford or GM) even though that feature is useless with trailer attached. As we get older, crawling in and out of the bed becomes more challenging...

I see one huge advantage, there's been literally hundreds of times (over my last 3-4 trucks) I've been about a foot away from reaching something with the tail gate down and have had to climb into the bed and under my cover to reach something. The split tail gate would allow me to reach many of these things without having to lay on my stomach or back to get it, and with the bumper there that could act as my step up into the bed should I need to get up there. I actually would much prefer using the bumper to step up into the bed, than the under bed step that they sell.

That being said, I would like the split tail gate on my next truck, but it won't be a deal breaker if it doesn't have it.

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I thought it was kind a silly unnecessary expense until I test drove a truck with one on and I would definitely option a truck with one. Super nice to not have to lean over the tailgate to grab stuff out. It would have also been handy when I was unloading a load of rock from my bed and not worry about it falling between the tailgate/bed crack.

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm getting ready to order a '21 limited. What are your thoughts on the split tailgate? Gimmick or real functionality?d

Going in tomorrow to talk to the dealer and spec it out. I'll post the build once I get it on paper.

Also, no Uconnect 5 for '21's :-(
Get it, it’s built on a frame that strengthens it for regular operation. The frame is what opens regularly. Great to reach into the bed. I have the ram boxes, split tailgate, hard rolling tonneau, and a kayak rack that allows access to all of those. Best idea ever! I’ve only had it for a few months now. negatives - Have to slam shut, not hard but sometimes needs a little more. Will show you open when driving if not fully closed. They removed the extended bed bolts that were used for the divider, I ordered a set for a 2019 and now I can use the ram divider to extend my bed. They did so because supposedly the taillight was hard to see with it out.

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have it and really like it. As mentioned, access to mid-bed is really easy. The only downside is that the aftermarkets haven't seem to come up with compatible covers yet.
My bakflip hard rolling tonneau works great, fits right in the rails of the ram box. Also have a Dethloff manufacturing rack for my kayak, they made me mid height bars to get just above my cab. Awesome setup, allows full access to the ram boxes as well as rolling the tonneau open.
http://dethloffmfg.com/

JKLines

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited
Engine
Cummins HO
I was really looking at ordering a 2021 myself ... but I'm going to wait till uConnect 5 is on it. It doesn't make sense when you are paying $70K for pickups these days that they don't offer the latest technology ... particularly when they want to charge $2K for it. I actually ordered a 2020 2500 Big Horn, but when I found I couldn't order it with the LED headlights or uConnect 5, I backed out of the deal. My 2016 will take care of me for another year ... and I've upgraded so I have the features I wanted with uConnect 5. Can't see stepping backwards to get newer truck.

Ram-in-PA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My bakflip hard rolling tonneau works great, fits right in the rails of the ram box. Also have a Dethloff manufacturing rack for my kayak, they made me mid height bars to get just above my cab. Awesome setup, allows full access to the ram boxes as well as rolling the tonneau open.
http://dethloffmfg.com/

Wow, those racks are nice! Actually saw a Ram this weekend with a Kayak hung on each side and a top box. Nice setup. Be nice if they had a canvas cover that went over that bar setup also.