Multi-function tailgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2020 Longhorn in February and have the split tailgate and I love it ... No more leaning over the gate to put stuff in the bed ... The only problem I've had with it is making sure it is closed .. It seems like it is, but the dash light shows at times that it is still ajar ... I give it a good slam to close it and it seems to do the trick ... Maybe because it's still new and needs a little breaking in period since I haven't used the truck much during this covid issue ... The third brake light comes on when the tailgate is open, and if it goes off within a second or two after closing the gate I know it's secure ...
What happens if you leave it down like a conventional tailgate, is the light constantly on?

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2020 Limited has the MFT. By design, massive cast angle brackets are added to the front corners of the truck bed to stiffen the bed due to the extra stress on alignment of the MFT. Some owners simply remove these Heavy 90 degree brackets to install aftermarket Tonnau covers. This would weaken the stiffness of the truck bed. Rightonbracket.com/product/ram-truck-bed-brackets/ has manufactured replacement brackets so that aftermarket covers could be installed. I still had to modify the rails on my cover but feel good that I maintained the needed stiffness in my truck bed. I don't know how the OEM Cover goes on but if the original brackes are removed, it weakens the truck bed.
I have a non-OEM tonneau and it fit right in the original brackets, did not remove any 90deg brackets.

edit: mine is a 2020 limited with rambox, there are no 90deg brackets on it.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a non-OEM tonneau and it fit right in the original brackets, did not remove any 90deg brackets.

edit: mine is a 2020 limited with rambox, there are no 90deg brackets on it.
Because the RAMBOX doesn't have the brackets, they are on the regular bed with MFT

LouCap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting ready to order a '21 limited. What are your thoughts on the split tailgate? Gimmick or real functionality?d

Going in tomorrow to talk to the dealer and spec it out. I'll post the build once I get it on paper.

Also, no Uconnect 5 for '21's :-(

I've had my Limited with the MFT for a year now, and I couldn't imagine my truck without it. It makes getting stuff in and out of the bed so easy, and when I need to haul something long, I open the gate the regular way. Get it.

Chris Karczmit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the MFT. I use it everyday. Like others have said, I can’t imagine not having it. I definitely recommend it to anyone who’s on the fence.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I think anything that adds complexity is something that down the road becomes a maintenance item. I would not order it.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think anything that adds complexity is something that down the road becomes a maintenance item. I would not order it.

I don't have the MFT and probably won't order it on my next RAM simply for not having the need for it, but that stance doesn't make sense. At what point does one accept more "complexity"? Would you rather have to lock your wheels from the outside when switching to 4x4? Would you rather have manual windows, locks, etc? You want to give back power steering and power brakes? You want to remove the touchscreen and replace it with an 8 channel am/fm radio and put the whip antenna back while they're at it? All of these things added "complexity" to the systems they replaced. Anything can potentially become a maintenance issue. And all of those manual systems I mentioned STILL broke down from time to time because they're mechanical in nature and in some cases they needed more maintence. What doesn't have the potential to become a maintenance issue in some way, shape or form? It's a vehicle...it's a rolling maintenance issue. If you don't want it - fine - I don't either, but to say the reason you don't want it is to minimize potential maintenance issues doesn't make that much sense.

RamGreg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have a 2020 Longhorn with split tailgate also - considering Diamondback SE also. Any experience with leaking issues. Problems will be compounded since we have the RamBox and I hear leaks are guaranteed - no matter what cover is used.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I think it's a great idea really and is along the same lines of why I got the oven I did it has a side opening door so you are not reaching over a hot door to get your food. I see why some may think the design could be a point of failure but overall I think it's a great idea although it's going to be a while before I see once since I plan on holding on to my 15 for a while!

Jfk2man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 2020
Engine
Cummins and 5.7 Hemi
What happens if you leave it down like a conventional tailgate, is the light constantly on?
I'll have to try this. I haven't had to load anything long in this truck yet because I just got it and already have my 3500 dually to haul big stuff. We bought the 1500 to take road trips in.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
People are always apprehensive about advances in technology (electronic and physical). Once they use it, eventually things settle down and it becomes "normal". I think the MFT is a great idea for those that want/need it. When I buy Jeeps I don't buy power windows because the doors weigh significantly more with the motors, and I take the doors off frequently. I recognize the value of power windows but I don't need them.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People are always apprehensive about advances in technology (electronic and physical). Once they use it, eventually things settle down and it becomes "normal". I think the MFT is a great idea for those that want/need it. When I buy Jeeps I don't buy power windows because the doors weigh significantly more with the motors, and I take the doors off frequently. I recognize the value of power windows but I don't need them.
I'm always apprehensive about technology ( and this is coming from a computer guy that always looks for driver/firmware updates)..especially hardware technology. Like you and your jeep, sometimes, keeping it simple will last alot longer.

I currently have 2005 ford f150 ( dont flame me on this...i will be trading/selling it for a ram) and it has no bells or whistles at all. Roll up windows, manual door locks, rubber floor...and its a great 15 year old truck with 123k miles on it. Im trading it because its has an extended cab, and i need a crew cab for my family of 5.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

After having experience with it I really like and recommend the MFT. Any apprehension towards it should be more directed at the electronic aspects of it, not the mechanical. Mechanically it's solid. My only gripe about it is the same one I have with the normal tailgate on 5th gens. Lack of a mechanical release mechanism. The tailgate release on a normal tailgate (5th gen) is basically an electric button. This is the same on the MFT, except they added a second button on the bottom of the handle recess. I doubt anyone would disagree that with new tech comes new problems. Adding electronics adds much more complexity to the tailgate system. You aren't only adding buttons sensors and wires, you're also adding software to control it all. These trucks are the pinnacle of automotive complexity. Adding a newly designed tailgate to that complexity is like worrying about a piece of sand in your shoe when you're walking through a sand dune.

OP
OP
BNeal

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After having experience with it I really like and recommend the MFT. Any apprehension towards it should be more directed at the electronic aspects of it, not the mechanical. Mechanically it's solid. My only gripe about it is the same one I have with the normal tailgate on 5th gens. Lack of a mechanical release mechanism. The tailgate release on a normal tailgate (5th gen) is basically an electric button. This is the same on the MFT, except they added a second button on the bottom of the handle recess. I doubt anyone would disagree that with new tech comes new problems. Adding electronics adds much more complexity to the tailgate system. You aren't only adding buttons sensors and wires, you're also adding software to control it all. These trucks are the pinnacle of automotive complexity. Adding a newly designed tailgate to that complexity is like worrying about a piece of sand in your shoe when you're walking through a sand dune.

Yep. Pretty much a computer with 4-tires!

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Dang! I just read all ten pages on this thread and not one of you guys that has the tailgate posted any pictures!

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to try this. I haven't had to load anything long in this truck yet because I just got it and already have my 3500 dually to haul big stuff. We bought the 1500 to take road trips in.
I'm curious about this because that would be a poor design imo

illinix3

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Looking to purchase my first Ram and having a tough time deciding between the Ram boxes or multi-function tailgate. I do not plan to do both.

I will be using this as mostly a suburban crawler with 3 young kids in the back when needed (other vehicle is a minivan which is the main family hauler). Otherwise, the bed is essentially a trunk or for small weekend warrior yard work projects. Plan to get into the travel trailer game as well. I originally thought the boxes with locking storage would be an nice and we do make 1 or 2 tailgating trips a year so a fun feature for beer/drinks. However, the more I think about it the more I lean towards the multi function tailgate to get closer to the cargo and keep the full bed width.

Thoughts/recommendations?

mjbenedict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looking to purchase my first Ram and having a tough time deciding between the Ram boxes or multi-function tailgate. I do not plan to do both.

I will be using this as mostly a suburban crawler with 3 young kids in the back when needed (other vehicle is a minivan which is the main family hauler). Otherwise, the bed is essentially a trunk or for small weekend warrior yard work projects. Plan to get into the travel trailer game as well. I originally thought the boxes with locking storage would be an nice and we do make 1 or 2 tailgating trips a year so a fun feature for beer/drinks. However, the more I think about it the more I lean towards the multi function tailgate to get closer to the cargo and keep the full bed width.

Thoughts/recommendations?
I recommend both, use the ramboxes all the time and the split tailgate complements it well. Also get the cargo divider.