my 14 Ram vertical Fog light projector retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Those lights are awesome! Nice rig you got there too.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Thank u kindly.

It's worth it, Matchboxes are the easiest to retrofit. Getting the housings open is the tricky part. Don't forget to get cheap housings for the retro.

FUS88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sorry to bump this old thread but I need to ask something .

I did the same but with mini h1 8.0 in the fogs. I tried molding my oem fog light lenses but it had micro cracks that got bigger and opened up on the outside with the heat. Also i think the plastic got a little too hot in some spots and had some bubbles forming inside it.
I did it with a heat gun, not sure if it was the right way to do so.

I tried adding images but it did not work.

So, I was wondering how you did it and got it looking this clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Sorry to bump this old thread but I need to ask something .

I did thae same but with mini h1 8.0 in the fogs. I tried molding my oem fog light lenses but it had micro cracks that got bigger and opened up on the outside with the heat. Also i think the plastic got a little too hot in some spots and had some bubbles forming inside it.
I did it with a heat gun, not sure if it was the right way to do so.

(((Will edit for images.)))

So, I was wondering how you did it and got it looking this clean.

I used a heat gun... on high but u have to regulate how much you heat it till you can mold it. Mine def had some marks but no cracking luckily. You just want it hot enough to form and it may take a few tries... I just heated it and pushed it on the projector that was installed in the housing. If you want to build some extra clearance you can add another silicone isolator to the back of the threaded part of the projector and that will give you some space between the lense and projector after your done (pull the extra silicone isolator off after). But that also means more of the lense has to mold!

FUS88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I used a heat gun... on high but u have to regulate how much you heat it till you can mold it. Mine def had some marks but no cracking luckily. You just want it hot enough to form and it may take a few tries... I just heated it and pushed it on the projector that was installed in the housing. If you want to build some extra clearance you can add another silicone isolator to the back of the threaded part of the projector and that will give you some space between the lense and projector after your done (pull the extra silicone isolator off after). But that also means more of the lense has to mold!

Thanks for the fast reply.

I thought you had some magical way of molding it XD.
Mine came out as I said with the cracks and some marks like mud pattern after it gets dry and shrink.
I have ordered Winjet fog lights to retrofit, as the OEM ones are very loose and can't be aimed. I will try molding them and see how it goes.

DRV-FLASH.jpg DRV-NOFLASH.jpg PAS-FLASH.jpg PAS-NOFLASH.jpg

thankfully images worked out. as you can see i tried sanding and polishing but did not have all I needed and decided to leave it for later.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Looks like You burned the plastic. I can also see the cracks so I would suggest watching your heat. Also you can use thick butyl rope to add some height to the lense which could help you out with extra space. Maybe the cheap replacements will be easier to mold. I have never done the OEM fogs for this reason as they are nicer than the aftermarket and more $$ but they are also harder to open.

FUS88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looks like You burned the plastic. I can also see the cracks so I would suggest watching your heat. Also you can use thick butyl rope to add some height to the lense which could help you out with extra space. Maybe the cheap replacements will be easier to mold. I have never done the OEM fogs for this reason as they are nicer than the aftermarket and more $$ but they are also harder to open.

Sure I did. The cracks were there before, I just made them bigger.
I tried on the OEM as they have already been through a couple of sand storms ( Saudi Arabia ) and were very hazy and loose, so I figured I would go for it.