My 2014 Ram took took a crapped up on me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13igtymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 big horn edition with about 37k miles on it. I was driving on the freeway and all of a sudden the temp gauge went all the way to the red, check engine light went off, throttle control module error message and ABS and anti lock brakes lights appears all at once. The instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree.

I exited the freeway pretty quickly and pulled over in a parking lot. I opened the hood and smelled something burning. I checked the oil and coolant fluids and both were full. I check underneath the truck and it was covered with some kind of fluid. I called a tow truck and dropped it off to a dealership.

What a coincidence that my warranty just expired and all of these issues just showed up. Let's see if Chrysler will cover the repairs.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch dude. Sorry to hear it happened so soon after the warranty expired. I hope the dealer will atleast work with you somewhat on this.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP

13igtymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update :
I just got an update from the dealership about an hr ago. Main issue is that there is a major leak coming from the engine that affected the temp sensor and it caused all the other lights to appear. The dealership will try to cover the repairs and a car rental. The dealership will do a pressure test tomorrow to find out where the leak is.

I forgot to mention that three months after I purchased the truck I took it to the dealership because of an odor coming from the engine. It smelled like a skunk. It is a known issue from what I read here and other forums. The dealership changed all the hoses and flushed the radiator. I don't know of if they are related to my current issue.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where u located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm subscribing too. This is interesting.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

MR.Z06

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't you have a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty?

gas-powered vehicles with a 5-year/60,000-mile Gas Powertrain Limited Warranty+. The Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of repairs on all covered powertrain components — engine, transmission and drive system

OP
OP

13igtymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read about the issue at ramforumz.com. It is well documented there. I'm hoping that the power train warranty will cover it. When I first spoke to the service tech, she made it sound it it might not be covered.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 14 is covered up to 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain. Hopefully your covered. The smell has to do with the coolant used and the hoses. Something about a reaction between the rubber and coolant puts out that smell. At least that's what my dealer said. My truck smelled for the first few thousand miles but went away.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The coolant and the rubber doesn't really like to mesh well I've had to replace the coolant and all underhood hoses on multiple DCJ vehicles. The issue is also known on the grand Cherokees I believe. I'm a Chrysler tech.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah ok

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I read about the issue at ramforumz.com. It is well documented there. I'm hoping that the power train warranty will cover it. When I first spoke to the service tech, she made it sound it it might not be covered.

If you need further help once visiting the dealer, please DM me. For warranty information please visit Ram Trucks Warranty - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Vans - Kevin T, Social Connect Team