My 6.4L towing experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
He was coming from Kinzers and thought he said he was coming from right to left in that pic. Probably following his GPS. There is a hardware store out there that uses its parking lot as a campground for the pipeline workers. He is staying in that parking lot. Can't remember the name of it. He was there about 6 months ago for a few months. Said he will probably be there until September.

IMG_4538.jpg
Yea he went right to left.

Towing 9500 up over there had to be real fun.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's so deceiving looking at those satellite views. It's hard to tell how rough the terrain is. I use it a lot to scope out a new campground, but obviously it only shows half the story. :) It really bit me in the a$$ last year at a new campground (well if you can even call it that). It was a 90* turn off of the highway, an immediate 90* turn in the opposite direction, & all of this on a huge gravel slope. I used to drive truck so I was like "I might be able to pull this off". I have a 5th wheel & I was just starting to get into the 2nd 90* turn & I noticed the trailer hitting the bed rail. I said screw this & proceeded to find another campground in the middle of the night! I am sure a guy could get a bumper pull down into there, but not a 5th wheel. I ripped the campground a new one for stating they could accommodate up to 45' 5th wheels.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
He is staying a little past Shirleysburg, PA. It's about 13 miles past that big mountain. He called a little while ago and he was headed home. It's about 3 hours from here but he will be headed back there tomorrow night again. Camper is still out there obviously...lol. But he said he may have to spend this winter in Minnesota in his camper so that should be fun

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It's so deceiving looking at those satellite views. It's hard to tell how rough the terrain is. I use it a lot to scope out a new campground, but obviously it only shows half the story. :) It really bit me in the a$$ last year at a new campground (well if you can even call it that). It was a 90* turn off of the highway, an immediate 90* turn in the opposite direction, & all of this on a huge gravel slope. I used to drive truck so I was like "I might be able to pull this off". I have a 5th wheel & I was just starting to get into the 2nd 90* turn & I noticed the trailer hitting the bed rail. I said screw this & proceeded to find another campground in the middle of the night! I am sure a guy could get a bumper pull down into there, but not a 5th wheel. I ripped the campground a new one for stating they could accommodate up to 45' 5th wheels.

Man, that would have Ped me off too. Glad you were able to figure out an alternative!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
He wasnt exaggerating running 6000. The gap between 2nd and 1st is ridiculous.

I did the same thing the 1st time I towed up it. I locked 1st gear and it cut spark at 37 mph. Scared the scrap out of me.

My V10 5spd did the same thing. Just couldn't make the shift to 3rd and had to ease back and be happy with 35-40.

A ford focus with 2 adults in it will struggle to hit the 40 mph speed limit.

My wife was following me in her 06 Kia V6 5 speed and she had to grab 2nd gear too.

You basically go up the mountain to just come right back down.

The road on the right...that is uphill and where he had the issue. Then it turns and goes downhill. See how there is 2 switchback there. It is easy going southbound...it is a ***** going northbound.

The cut the southbiund climb into two sections, the northbound climb is one straight up.

If you can visualize that.

This reminds me of a "follow your gps/not familiar with the area" mistakes I made my first trip to cowans gap state park. The GPS took me up stumpy lane and not Richmond road, which is steep in its own right, but lots of curves to the top to make it much more manageable.

I had a 2000 Ford expedition with the 5.4 back then. Stumpy is narrow, bumpy and steep in parts. Some of them I was flat to the floor in 1st gear and she was screaming up over 5000 rpm.

We made it, but there was more than one instance when we slowed down to about 25 when i got a little concerned. I'm a Christian man, but I believe a few "Oh S..Ts" slipped out that day....hahaha

Lesson learned to look ahead/call and ask questions when going to a new and unfamiliar place with a TT!

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Just took 1 more trip. Had my 7k trailer (~2200 pounds).This was shorter, about a 200 mile round trip. Just about 50/50 highway/interstate. Empty started at 14.2 ended at about 14.1. Return trip finished at 13.3. For 90% of the trip I maintained 13.7 just that last 10 miles killed me.

Picked up a 1992 w350 gasser for either a donor or parts truck

743b4fb0d13a1648ce54336fb130262e.jpg
3f2b528a9e118fca8d2437366b0ec25a.jpg

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He wasnt exaggerating running 6000. The gap between 2nd and 1st is ridiculous.

I did the same thing the 1st time I towed up it. I locked 1st gear and it cut spark at 37 mph. Scared the scrap out of me.

My V10 5spd did the same thing. Just couldn't make the shift to 3rd and had to ease back and be happy with 35-40.

A ford focus with 2 adults in it will struggle to hit the 40 mph speed limit.

My wife was following me in her 06 Kia V6 5 speed and she had to grab 2nd gear too.

You basically go up the mountain to just come right back down.

The road on the right...that is uphill and where he had the issue. Then it turns and goes downhill. See how there is 2 switchback there. It is easy going southbound...it is a ***** going northbound.

The cut the southbiund climb into two sections, the northbound climb is one straight up.

If you can visualize that.

I got lost on that route once also going to Carlisle.
37 mph in 1st gear....Holy Revs

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca