My '97 and '12 Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So it all started for me back in Nov '99 when I found my '97 online thru AutoBytel.com in Albuquerque. The local stealership won't actually 'deal' with anybody... the price of being out in the middle of the West Texas desert wasteland. I checked in with my credit union and agreed to purchase, then flew to Albuquerque one morning after a mid-shift (not even direct flight - had to fly to Dallas first). The internet sales guy picked me up at the airport, bought me lunch, and was trying to talk me into the '99 Super Lariat he was driving... which, i wasn't interested in a Ford. Drove the truck, did some quick paperwork, and it was a done-deal. He gave me a handful of free oil change coupons, which I handed right back to him with my compliments (I wasn't planning on making the 440 mile trip for an oil change, after all). He asked if I still had my plane ticket, which he made a copy of, and I took off to head home. I received a check for the airfare a few days later. Now THAT'S how you make a deal!

Anyway, I instantly loved driving the '97 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4 Club Cab - the 440 miles didn't seem like all that big of a deal as I was rolling along. My previous daily was an '85 Nissan King Cab 4x4... which after I drove it around a few days after returning with the Ram, I wondered just how the Hell I'd ever survived driving around in that little truck.

Here's the Ram just before I left ABQ, with Bob Fass, the internet salesman (and retired USAF CMSgt):
bobfass.jpg

Over the next few years, I did a few things to the Ram in the way of nerf bars, Extang bed cover, Daystar levelling kit, and eventually a Westin Bull Bar.

A hail storm in 2002 got me a repaint, so I tossed on a nice cowl induction hood (this was just before the Bull Bar, but pretty much the same shape as when I sold it to my friend).
bigdamram5.jpg

Fast forward to 2014 when I'd just about finished my '71 Mach 1, and my wife asked if I wanted a new truck. No - there's nothing wrong with my Ram... it looks great, runs like a champ, only had 140K, and I just got the ass groove in the seat the way I liked it.

Needless to say, I caved and started looking. I found my '12 at Toyota of Abilene via CarGurus.com - again, the stealership here still sucks. I wanted another 4x4, but I only found 3 Dark Cherry 1500 Crew Cab Lone Stars available. The 2 4x4s in San Antonio both had over 80K miles and were approx $2500 over book with no haggling. My 2WD was much closer, only had 24K, and the 'out-the-door' price was $1500 under book. Yeah... no brainer.

Here are a couple of the web pics that hooked me:
2012Ram1.jpg

2012Ram2.jpg

We made a trip to visit her family in 2016, and I took this pic in my BIL's front yard... which is pretty much how it still looks today. I just loved the way the truck looked basically stock, so I haven't really messed with the cosmetics, other than adding the vent shades and bed cover after changing the 'cheese slicer' grille for one with the black hexagonal inserts... just looks cleaner, IMHO.

newram1.jpg

I guess I need to get some better pics.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great story, I love the looks of the 2nd gen, but it looks like you did well with the 4th gen as well.