My ABS, Traction Control and Brake light are all on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMX_72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi. First Post. As stated in the title all of these indicator lights are on. My mechanic scanned the truck and says I need a new ABS Control Module. My question is (as my mechanic is unsure of the answer (has conflicting info) and the local Dodge dealership was honest enough to say they were not sure either) is the ABS Control Module VIN coded to the truck requiring a new uncoded controller to be installed then flashed to the VIN of my truck or will a used controller from the same year and model as my truck work.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That could be. The most common causes seem to be:
-bad wheel sensor
-bad brake switch
-some wiring/connector/fuse to those above
-Brake module

I'd wiggle abs fuses and the Module's connector. Inspect it for corrosion. Make sure the associated grounds are solid and good. Probably a cold solder joint inside the module. There's lots of reports online about bad solder joints on other mfgrs brake modules in general. There are a lot of heat/cool cycles, vibration/potholes, etc. Not sure why someone's not taking these apart and inspecting them. "Bad Modules" has been an industrywide problem going back to the late 90's on various vehicles. It's been shown over and over again to be predomenately broken or loose or 'bad' connections internally.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Likely needs a new HCU pump (not the actual module). Had a local garage replace mine and they had to program it to my truck. Been working fine since

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This may help, ( his was a 2018 & it has more security blocks )

different person, same basic issue, only with a 2012

OP
OP
A

AMX_72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I think I will just have to swallow the cost and buy a new one and have the dealer program it.

Dutra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the club! This is a very common problem if you go back and read the older posts. I'm getting mine fixed this Saturday hopefully. The part was impossible to get from my local dealership and no word from RAM CARES at all. It wont be as simple and wiggling a wire or checking a fuse. Read some articles. Varies from different years but the same problem

RamHugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2017 RAM 2500 6.7
Researching the same, most posts are from three years back. HCU part # 68143491AB.

Spent over 3 hours on RAM customer service call and finally, by accident, got hold of a guy who took the time to do a little real time research. Crazy how messed up their communication to dealerships and "Engineering" process is.

My home dealership in Boerne, TX ordered the part back in Jan '23, expected it in March... then August, and now Feb of '24, BUT, they called yesterday and told me somehow the part arrived and is ready for install, even though it clearly states on their network that it is on an Engineering Review Hold until 2/24.
I'm traveling and in Colorado now, and there are no parts available in in the state so my home dealership is doing a D2D to Durango.

The real time research this guy did, showed absolutely an Engineering Hold on that part #, but their system also showed there were approximately 470 of these parts being processed; i.e. sold, installed, or replaced under warranty per week. That's nearly 2000 per month. Some dealerships, like here in Colorado had zero stock while places like Texas, Louisiana, and the north east had nearly 20 in stock at some dealerships.

Definitely going to look into the class action suit, this is just too jacked up.

By the way, this guy looks like he did a pretty thorough job of repairing/replacing his HCU.