My brake pad fell out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Express QC 4x4 Hemi with a 2.5” lift, 35s and oem sport 20s. I knew I needed brakes so I figured I’d upgrade with R1 Concepts pads and rotors. I had them on my Jeep and loved them. Saturday I did the front brakes. I bought their black zinc coated drilled and slotted E Line rotors and their OEp pads.

(The black coating wears off the pad surface of the rotor in a few days leaving the rest of the rotor protected from corrosion longer then regular rotors.)3C41A356-F3BA-4743-AD53-2AAFB21F1577.jpeg5C4963C2-1459-421B-980D-DAE42B368ACC.jpeg

The drivers front rotor took over half an hour to remove. It was rusted in bad. I blame this on that brine the dot spray on the road before snow storms.

After all the truck only had 44,470 miles on it.

So fronts done Saturday and I did a few errands Sunday everything is great. This morning I go to work and my brake pedal immediately hits the floor. I stop, check everything out and everything looks fine. Pumped the pedal and went to work.

I get home from work this evening and find a rear pad in the driveway. It’s very rusted and separated from the metal backing plate. The drivers rear rotor is all rusted on the inside surface and the pad seems to be seized in the slides. ‍

I thought I could wait and do rear pads in a few weeks when I had some more cash. Now I’m out a truck for the week while I wait for my rear pads and rotors to ship.

The front brakes needed a lot of cleaning and greasing where the clips go and it looks like the rears will need even more cleaning.

Stupid Dodge ‍

9DA157EB-9988-4F2A-A3E3-EF2D018DC8F9.jpeg

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try working on the gm brake design. I think a two year old designed them. Every year it was a regimen of if you have the wheels off take the brakes apart and clean / lube literally every part on them. They are known for having caliper slide pins rust into place.

Before I bought my ram I tried out a new Silverado. When I saw the brake design was the same I took the truck back and walked away.

From what I’ve seen on the ram the design is so much better and simpler than the Silverado. Yes they still require maintenance as does everything mechanical but they require far less babysitting and care

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Express QC 4x4 Hemi with a 2.5” lift, 35s and oem sport 20s. I knew I needed brakes so I figured I’d upgrade with R1 Concepts pads and rotors. I had them on my Jeep and loved them. Saturday I did the front brakes. I bought their black zinc coated drilled and slotted E Line rotors and their OEp pads.

(The black coating wears off the pad surface of the rotor in a few days leaving the rest of the rotor protected from corrosion longer then regular rotors.)View attachment 166791View attachment 166792

The drivers front rotor took over half an hour to remove. It was rusted in bad. I blame this on that brine the dot spray on the road before snow storms.

After all the truck only had 44,470 miles on it.

So fronts done Saturday and I did a few errands Sunday everything is great. This morning I go to work and my brake pedal immediately hits the floor. I stop, check everything out and everything looks fine. Pumped the pedal and went to work.

I get home from work this evening and find a rear pad in the driveway. It’s very rusted and separated from the metal backing plate. The drivers rear rotor is all rusted on the inside surface and the pad seems to be seized in the slides. ‍

I thought I could wait and do rear pads in a few weeks when I had some more cash. Now I’m out a truck for the week while I wait for my rear pads and rotors to ship.

The front brakes needed a lot of cleaning and greasing where the clips go and it looks like the rears will need even more cleaning.

Stupid Dodge ‍

View attachment 166793
Ummm I think it's more like stupid New Hampshire salt lol!

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ummm I think it's more like stupid New Hampshire salt lol!

Yes that’s what I meant when referring to the brine salt **** they spray the roads with. It’s destroying cars and trucks!

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well you said "stupid Dodge" so I got confused, no worries....

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have just thrown a set of pads on to kick the can down the road a bit.

And of you want horrible brake design... 1989 Chevy Beretta gt... Caliper sliders were torx drive. Good luck getting any decent amount of torque on them.

Stripped the head out of one, went to auto parts store to pick up a replacement, my dad called the store to say another stripped while I was on the way. I think I bought 6 of them just to be sure, along with 2 extra torx bits.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was going to do that but I didn’t have the time since I worked till 6pm and have to be back in for 6am.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Wow never seen that before, Sorry brother

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am soooo glad they do not salt the roads in my area. If they did I would buy junk vehicles for the winter lol. Save my ram for summer

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am soooo glad they do not salt the roads in my area. If they did I would buy junk vehicles for the winter lol. Save my ram for summer

I thinking about getting a old Cherokee or something for the winter and to drive to work and park in the quarry I work out of.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thinking about getting a old Cherokee or something for the winter and to drive to work and park in the quarry I work out of.

You're in New Hampshire....any NH Oil Undercoating applicators near you?

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You're in New Hampshire....any NH Oil Undercoating applicators near you?

There are a few as well as fluid film applications. I’ve never done it before but everyone I see who has their truck looks like they drove it through a friggin oil slick from the Batmobile. I’m too ocd for that.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The salt up north is horrendous! Rust proofing such as fluid film will help but it doesnt keep the brake from seizing. The only thing I found effective is every 1.5 to 2yrs, disassemble the caliper, carrier, pads and pins and grease it well. The contact points where the pads rest on the carrier gets a healthy dose of antiseize.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few as well as fluid film applications. I’ve never done it before but everyone I see who has their truck looks like they drove it through a friggin oil slick from the Batmobile. I’m too ocd for that.

Ive done my truck twice (once a year since purchase) and all I really see is nice black undercarriage. Im not using lanolin-based product (Fluid Film), though.

Yes you get greasy depending on what you work on, but I dont really work too much on my truck since its new-ish.

Ive done a ton of brake jobs on a bunch of different vehicles, and honestly never thought that sand/salt was the cause of the sliders freezing up. Ive dealt with frozen sliders before and once removed, there wasnt exactly corrosion in them as much as there was dried up/petrified grease which caused the sliders to no longer slide.

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The salt up north is horrendous! Rust proofing such as fluid film will help but it doesnt keep the brake from seizing. The only thing I found effective is every 1.5 to 2yrs, disassemble the caliper, carrier, pads and pins and grease it well. The contact points where the pads rest on the carrier gets a healthy dose of antiseize.

You’re not kidding.

My father in law just spent $7000 (2k was insurance money) on body work on his 2010 4.7L Tradesman. It was in a minor accident and still a reliable truck so he had the body shop go the extra mile. They did both cab corners, rocker panels, front and rear bumpers and passenger bed side and painted the wheels. It was in really sad shape for such a “young” truck. Pictures don’t do the rust damage justice. It was bad and bumpers were rusted and dented.

712F2C8A-5548-4FBA-A8D2-FE33E28E1F16.jpeg

113F23FA-276E-4C0E-96B8-DFD2D52141FB.jpeg

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ive done my truck twice (once a year since purchase) and all I really see is nice black undercarriage. Im not using lanolin-based product (Fluid Film), though.

Yes you get greasy depending on what you work on, but I dont really work too much on my truck since its new-ish.

Ive done a ton of brake jobs on a bunch of different vehicles, and honestly never thought that sand/salt was the cause of the sliders freezing up. Ive dealt with frozen sliders before and once removed, there wasnt exactly corrosion in them as much as there was dried up/petrified grease which caused the sliders to no longer slide.

I guess my concern is what to do to keep the slides moving? I clean the rust and grime out and I use brake parts grease on all surfaces but I feel like unless this is done regularly it’s bound to wear off and seize again before the next brake job. I worked at a Chevy dealership years ago that would upsell an oil change with a “brake cleaning” where they would clean everything on the truck with a Mobil parts cleaner then re grease everything with out taking it off. To me that seemed counter productive.

I’m buying decent quality brakes so I’m doing the best I can to do it right but I feel like it’s inevitable to happen again. After all my truck only has 44k miles on it. It’s a 2016. I consider that “newish”

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah i wouldnt waste money on a under coating rust will happen no matter what when salt is involved. just a matter of time and how much you wanna spend on under coating. i would find a cheap jeep like he said and drive it to the wheels fall off then take it to the scrap yard and get money for the steel.