My "check gas cap" saga - Fixed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say 99/100 times it's not the cap.

My cap did look terrible, the o-ring had some small cracking going on, don't know why, but wasn't the fix.
Yeah mine doesn’t look cracked or has to be the purge valve up top or the pump by the tank does P4057 matter in regards to pinpointing? I think that’s a large leak? I know I can take engine cover off and try and blow through that purge valve to know if it is bad.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah mine doesn’t look cracked or has to be the purge valve up top or the pump by the tank does P4057 matter in regards to pinpointing? I think that’s a large leak? I know I can take engine cover off and try and blow through that purge valve to know if it is bad.
Can't really say. I had P0456 and P0457 as well as P0440 and P0441.

Just took a shot in the dark trying the ESIM first, and it turned out that was it.

I did not see any problems with the lines, I am fortunate to live in FL, and not have my undercarriage exposed to alot of crud and such.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just took a shot in the dark trying the ESIM first, and it turned out that was it.

I did not see any problems with the lines, I am fortunate to live in FL, and not have my undercarriage exposed to alot of crud and such.
Squirrels galore atm. I don’t want to try gas cap cuz I know the seal looks good and took tin foil to the neck. I also cleared code with Alfa and it’s been 3 days.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So it was the one by the heat shield? I mean I could go to dealer and have them smoke it but it’s obv the solenoid or esiim.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say 99/100 times it's not the cap.

My cap did look terrible, the o-ring had some small cracking going on, don't know why, but wasn't the fix.
Yep this makes me think it’s the solenoid which wouldn’t be hard to do do I just buy it from dealer and if I don’t need it return it.. watches osme YouTube and if you blow in that and can blow you know valve is bad.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah well I just had the shop smoke test and they kept losing internet when they were trying to get the values. Just paid a lot of money for no real answer other than I now know it’s the ESIM. No smoke leaks and even after thrm
Going down on their rate and not changing me for the lost internet was over 400 dollars.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah well I just had the shop smoke test and they kept losing internet when they were trying to get the values. Just paid a lot of money for no real answer other than I now know it’s the ESIM. No smoke leaks and even after thrm
Going down on their rate and not changing me for the lost internet was over 400 dollars.
Ouch! Sorry. That sucks.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Should have just bought an eSIM….least I know it’s not tank or anything else l….has to be ESIM
I believe that even if you reset the CEL, the codes are stored until you have 3 good engine cycles.

Last edited:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that even if you reset the CEL, the codes are stored until you have 3 good engine cycles.
Yes we will see I replaced the esim today with a duralast. Also siliconed tail light as they tried to tell me standing water is a inspection failure…I saw water droplets, not “standing water” as was stated.