My driveshaft broke :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Found quite a few local to you on car-part for around $1000. And one in sunvally for $700 (wonder if they can ship?). If you want a used one that isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

He'll want to check where his ABS sensors are located.They moved them from the front of the axle tubes to the rear of the tubes.I'm not sure if his 2012 will have them on the front or rear,as it was somewhere around that time frame they moved them.It's not a huge deal,as they can be easily relocated ,just something to watch out for, especially if he wants to re-use his original backing plates and brakes.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Junk yard looks like a good pick it would be faster and cheaper. Dont know how handy you are but it is not a hard job. Need some floor jacks and really good set of jack stands. Also I would change the rear oil on the the replacement rear. Hope you do OK with your pick and are back on the road soon GOOD LUCK

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
God D@MN! That’s crazy. They had to cut the bearing off? I wonder if they cut into the pinion slightly and created a fracture point.

Get a new assembly. Any rear that I’ve opened up once damaged it’s always easier and usually cheaper to replace the whole unit.

This is why they told him don't bring it back to them.They more then likely messed the job up. He was not hot ******* the truck crazy thing to brake off like that

Last edited:

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So earlier today as I was getting ready to drive across the bridge, I stopped at the toll booth and after I paid the attendant, I proceeded to accelerate onto the bridge. Immediately after I pressed the gas, I hear this extremely loud bang I lost all power. I coasted onto the shoulder and when I looked under the truck, my driveshaft was disconnected from the diff and dragging across the ground. Long story short, my pinion gear has completed sheered in half. How on earth is this even possible??
Any suggestions for what to do? Last year around May, I had my truck worked on at a shop where they replaced the pinion bearing because apparently is was stuck on the gear and they had to cut it off..
i called that same shop today and they refused to work on my truck, stating that it was 6 days passed the warranty period. The other half of the pinion gear is still stuck in the differential. Has this ever happened to anyone??
its a 2012 1500, 5.7 express with about 112K miles on it. View attachment 168202View attachment 168203View attachment 168204View attachment 168205
Wow I hate that for you. Your day will get better.

cudaguy71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So earlier today as I was getting ready to drive across the bridge, I stopped at the toll booth and after I paid the attendant, I proceeded to accelerate onto the bridge. Immediately after I pressed the gas, I hear this extremely loud bang I lost all power. I coasted onto the shoulder and when I looked under the truck, my driveshaft was disconnected from the diff and dragging across the ground. Long story short, my pinion gear has completed sheered in half. How on earth is this even possible??
Any suggestions for what to do? Last year around May, I had my truck worked on at a shop where they replaced the pinion bearing because apparently is was stuck on the gear and they had to cut it off..
i called that same shop today and they refused to work on my truck, stating that it was 6 days passed the warranty period. The other half of the pinion gear is still stuck in the differential. Has this ever happened to anyone??
its a 2012 1500, 5.7 express with about 112K miles on it. View attachment 168202View attachment 168203View attachment 168204View attachment 168205

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 19V324
Manufacturer : Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Subject : Driveshaft May Fracture and Separate

Last edited:

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
NHTSA Recall ID Number : 19V324
Manufacturer : Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Subject : Driveshaft May Fracture and Separate

Subject seems correct, but the document specifies separation between the tube and the tube yoke on specific '18 and '19 vehicles, the owners of which will be notified directly.
The pictures in the OP show clearly that the driveshaft was not involved. The pinion shaft fractured.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I wouldn't take to the place that did the work previously. Hard to tell from the photo gut it looks like some crystallization of the metal grain structure around the edges of where it sheard off. If they used a torch to cut off the old bearing, it may have taken the temper out of the steel. When I did rear axle work torches were verboten. If something in the rear axle needed heating to cause it to expand, only a heatd oil bath was permitted.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Last year around May, I had my truck worked on at a shop where they replaced the pinion bearing because apparently is was stuck on the gear and they had to cut it off.."

I've been around a long time and although I've seen cracked or broken pinion/ring gear teeth, I can't ever remember a pinion shaft breaking like that.

Since this is a highly unusual failure, I wonder what method was used to actually remove the frozen pinion bearing? Pinion and ring gears are specially hardened. If heat was used to persuade the bearing off some degree of hardening was lost.

I believe you indicated the rear wheels won't turn. The head of the now unsupported pinion gear is probably cocked so bad that it has bound up the ring gear. You might want to consider a bone yard replacement for the entire axle assembly.

Best of luck,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels, now at 015089 miles

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
barely out of warranty--they should cover half anyway--I have never seen this on a truck this new--or should I expect this on my 2012

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

As others have said, that shop F'd up your axle and they know they did when you told them what happened. I would say that's why they told you not to come back. I've never seen a pinion snap off like that before. I've seen axle C-clips come loose and the axle shafts come out, but nothing like that.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wouldn't take to the place that did the work previously. Hard to tell from the photo gut it looks like some crystallization of the metal grain structure around the edges of where it sheard off. If they used a torch to cut off the old bearing, it may have taken the temper out of the steel. When I did rear axle work torches were verboten. If something in the rear axle needed heating to cause it to expand, only a heatd oil bath was permitted.

My thoughts exactly about using heat on treated metal parts. Even getting something hot in a lathe will move the molecules enough to take the hardness out of it.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HOLY FU**!!! So sorry.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About 2 years ago my son fryed the ring gear. We ended up rebuilding the rear as the truck is a 97 GMC Sonoma with ZQ8 package and the axle has additional attachments not found on standard s10 axle. Had it been a standard axle the cost would have been less to replace with a Used axle from a yard. It would be best if you can pull yourself so you can check it for wheel bearing seal leaks, etc. I would strongly suggest taking the diff cover off at the yard and inspecting the gears etc. for wear and play. And you would want to drain and refill a used axles gear oil anyway.
Good luck
As for the repair shop that did the work, get the old assembly out and have a local drive line shop look at the damage parts. They should be able to tell you what caused the failure. Make sure to document everything in writing and photos. Keep your receipts for the current repairs. If you can get a mechanic to sign off that it was clearly a negligent repair then you may be able to recover your cost of this repair from the shop thru civil means.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if that's the one that just came out yesterday it's only (at this point) for 2018s built between a per of march and april of that year.
It is for faulty welds on the driveshaft, nothing to do with the pinion.

Texjim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
New ring and pinion and someone who is familar with the ZF diff. That took a lot of power to twist that pinion like that. Matt at Moes broke his but it is a full on drag truck that runs 10 second 1/4 mile times.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So an update on my truck problem.
I called Chrysler directly and they were very nice at first and said they wanted to help. So they sent me to the dodge dealer in Fremont. 220$ for a diagnosis fee (seriously?)
And when I called Chrysler back they said sorry we can’t help you because your truck is too old.
I then called my service advisor who referred me to the FCA claims case manager for my area and despite telling me that the guy would be willing to help me, when I called the guy, first thing he did was yell at me for calling him, saying that I was not supposed to have the number. He then proceeded to tell me that my truck is too old (2012 is old?) and then said sorry and hung up.

Sooo now I have to have my truck towed for the fourth time and this time back to my place while I search around for used axles. I’ve decided to just swap it out myself for a used axle.

Oh by the way, dodge dealer quoted me....wait for it.....7,000$ JUST FOR PARTS!! Yup, you read that correctly.

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
HA 7k that is nuts they did the same thing to me for a 02 Dakota I had that had a bad right side cylinder head. Told me that they could no longer order just the head that they needed to replace the whole engine. Just for info comparisons purposes you could order a whole new assembled axle from rock auto for as little as $2,300 and just bolt it in and go...