My first Ram, what am I going to do with it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys and gals.

My first ever Ram. I was and still am an Ford guy but we'll see how good this thing is. More importantly, I'm objective. I'm definitely a "Buy American" kind of guy. Maybe I'm more of an anything but a Piece of Chevy kind of guy? Anyway, price was right now here we are.

1624373506605.png1624373557896.png

It's a 2017 ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 6.4 bed (cuz i'm a working man) with a leveling kit up front. Aftermarket wheels and tires, and some bushwhacker fender flairs for a 2500.

The wife and I agree that getting in and out of the truck is going to cause serious wear to the seat. Thus far, every vehicle we have ever owned has had the drivers side outer portion worn out (F-150, Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler Town and Country, Jeep Commander). This truck has leather heated and vented seats so we're not really a fan of seat covers. Plus, they tend to slide around a bit.

So, we have decided we need running boards, or nerf bars. I think it's silly most after market companies only offer Cab length running boards. Meaning options are limited. I was just about to pull the trigger on ordering some wheel to wheel OE running boards when i read that vehicles with air ride setups have an entry/exit mode? Is it possible or worth going to an air ride setup? Pros - Cons?

Also, yes, I know this air ride question is like taking a sledge hammer to a tiny nail, but if a truck out there was a sledge hammer, wouldn't it be a Ram?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.

My first ever Ram. I was and still am an Ford guy but we'll see how good this thing is. More importantly, I'm objective. I'm definitely a "Buy American" kind of guy. Maybe I'm more of an anything but a Piece of Chevy kind of guy? Anyway, price was right now here we are.

View attachment 462537View attachment 462538

It's a 2017 ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 6.4 bed (cuz i'm a working man) with a leveling kit up front. Aftermarket wheels and tires, and some bushwhacker fender flairs for a 2500.

The wife and I agree that getting in and out of the truck is going to cause serious wear to the seat. Thus far, every vehicle we have ever owned has had the drivers side outer portion worn out (F-150, Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler Town and Country, Jeep Commander). This truck has leather heated and vented seats so we're not really a fan of seat covers. Plus, they tend to slide around a bit.

So, we have decided we need running boards, or nerf bars. I think it's silly most after market companies only offer Cab length running boards. Meaning options are limited. I was just about to pull the trigger on ordering some wheel to wheel OE running boards when i read that vehicles with air ride setups have an entry/exit mode? Is it possible or worth going to an air ride setup? Pros - Cons?

Also, yes, I know this air ride question is like taking a sledge hammer to a tiny nail, but if a truck out there was a sledge hammer, wouldn't it be a Ram?
Personally I would avoid the air ride at all costs because that's one component on a Ram that always seems to have issues down the road especially if you live someplace that has cold winters. I hated side steps when I was a kid but now I think a truck without them looks naked. I don't see why you would have a problem adding wheel to wheel running boards at all.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd go with power steps before considering air bags. I have the air ride option and although it's great to have that entry/exit mode it'd still be a bit of a reach for me to get in/out without the running boards, but I'm 5'10. I am thinking of taking them off anyway just for fun. See how I feel about it after a few days of climbing in and out, but the end game is to eventually put on some blade style steps and ditch the tubes. I'm working on getting my Rebel as close to a TRX as I can without seeming like a poser. lol

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd go with power steps before considering air bags. I have the air ride option and although it's great to have that entry/exit mode it'd still be a bit of a reach for me to get in/out without the running boards, but I'm 5'10. I am thinking of taking them off anyway just for fun. See how I feel about it after a few days of climbing in and out, but the end game is to eventually put on some blade style steps and ditch the tubes. I'm working on getting my Rebel as close to a TRX as I can without seeming like a poser. lol
Ah... a TRX. :drool: If your going to set the bar, might as well set it high. My neighbor has one and I definitely feel like a poser living next to him.

and I agree on the air bag. I just like the idea of the thing sitting lower on long highway drives. The MPG on this thing is awful!

I'm 6'4 and getting in and out isn't really the issue. It's the wear on the seats I'm most afraid of. I do plan on selling the truck one day for a Ford, or maybe another Ram. The Power Wagon or the F-250 Tremor are both taunting me in my dreams.

I don't think the nerf bar style with the drop steps will look good on my truck. It's not high enough, and I don't want to do a lift. I'm using it to build decks, landscape, tow the side by side to St George UT. See below :***:

IMG_8352.JPG1624379498363.png

I like the idea of power running boards because they won't take away from the look of the truck any. Plus I think they would work as a reasonable step to get in and out. they just cost to much. Also, I wish they had a feature where I could deploy them with the doors closed when I wanted them down. Ya know, for doing things like getting stuff out of the bed, or washing the windshield, or cleaning the moon roof. Or maybe they do??? Life would be so much easier with wheel to wheel running boards.

Do they make wheel to wheel power running boards yet???

If I could find a set of used power running boards I'd pick them up just try them out.

Also... I don't have to worry about snow where I'm from. :cool:

IMG_9894.JPG

You guys think black running boards/nerf bars would look better than chrome? I'm not really that big of a fan of going full retard (quote: tropic thunder) with the black. I think a wheel to wheel polished OEM running board would look good on my truck. Thoughts?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decades ago one of my friends had a lifted Chevy that was beat everywhere except the edge of the drivers' seat.. had a metal hoop there bolted to the seat mount that followed the shape of the seat. That was during the truckin' magazine days where every lifted truck had dozens of roll cages and a dozen shocks and chrome and KC lights everywhere so it wasn't out of place but that specifically was a pretty good idea... pity it didn't make it into the mainstream.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah... a TRX. :drool: If your going to set the bar, might as well set it high. My neighbor has one and I definitely feel like a poser living next to him.

and I agree on the air bag. I just like the idea of the thing sitting lower on long highway drives. The MPG on this thing is awful!

I'm 6'4 and getting in and out isn't really the issue. It's the wear on the seats I'm most afraid of. I do plan on selling the truck one day for a Ford, or maybe another Ram. The Power Wagon or the F-250 Tremor are both taunting me in my dreams.

I don't think the nerf bar style with the drop steps will look good on my truck. It's not high enough, and I don't want to do a lift. I'm using it to build decks, landscape, tow the side by side to St George UT. See below :***:

View attachment 462545View attachment 462547

I like the idea of power running boards because they won't take away from the look of the truck any. Plus I think they would work as a reasonable step to get in and out. they just cost to much. Also, I wish they had a feature where I could deploy them with the doors closed when I wanted them down. Ya know, for doing things like getting stuff out of the bed, or washing the windshield, or cleaning the moon roof. Or maybe they do??? Life would be so much easier with wheel to wheel running boards.

If I could find a set of used power running boards I'd pick them up just try them out.

View attachment 462550

You guys think black running boards/nerf bars would look better than chrome? I'm not really that big of a fan of going full retard (quote: tropic thunder) with the black. I think a wheel to wheel polished OEM running board would look good on my truck. Thoughts?
The air ride has the 4 settings of Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, Off-Road. It won't let you drive over 20mph (+/-) in Entry/Exit as it goes to either Aero or Normal (where you had it set to) when you reach that speed or above, and the same goes for Off-Road mode, but when traveling down the highway in Aero, there is a bit of MPG gain. Not much but some.

I agree on the powered ones being way too expensive. I'd love to go that route since they tuck up nice and neat, but they'd more than likely get ruined and I'd be throwing money away since I go off-road a bit and I just like to know I don't have to go easy on things down there. I tore my tube ones up a little the first week I got the truck and had to order a new end cap. *scrrrrape* lol

Good luck in your search!

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The air ride has the 4 settings of Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, Off-Road. It won't let you drive over 20mph (+/-) in Entry/Exit as it goes to either Aero or Normal (where you had it set to) when you reach that speed or above, and the same goes for Off-Road mode, but when traveling down the highway in Aero, there is a bit of MPG gain. Not much but some.

I agree on the powered ones being way too expensive. I'd love to go that route since they tuck up nice and neat, but they'd more than likely get ruined and I'd be throwing money away since I go off-road a bit and I just like to know I don't have to go easy on things down there. I tore my tube ones up a little the first week I got the truck and had to order a new end cap. *scrrrrape* lol

Good luck in your search!

Well I won't be doing the air ride thing then. Thanks for that.

How about those air bags for leveling out your truck when you have a heavy load in the back? My Ford had them when i got rid of it and they were awesome. I could load the F-150 with up to 2,500lbs and the truck wouldn't show much squat above what you would consider acceptable. But that truck had leaf springs. I think the Ram has coils?

so can I even put something like I had on my Ford on my new Ram?

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You mean like this?

yup... :)

I also found this. https://www.airliftcompany.com/
I have used their equipment on my last truck. They sent me two free bags when the hose connections broke off. Great customer service! I 100% will be getting something soon.

I was also looking at this compressor. I started thinking those storage bins in the floor would be the perfect place to mount something like this? has anyone installed an air compressor on their Ram? I want it for not only the air bags, but for airing up my tires after I air down and go for a climb.

Anyone?

1624459232853.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How bad is your seat worn now? Replacement foam seat bottoms are available from Ram parts (or ebay) and aren't that much. Just takes a while to replace. You might need to replace it if it's broken down or gone on the edge. Or you could take to an upholsterer. Your leather seat cover might be just fine, or perhaps an upholsterer can put in a new piece if need be (stronger leather on the edge?).

If you get a step/bar/etc. that helps, BUT you still kind of need to re-train yourself a new method of entry/exit that minimizes sliding and compressing that side of the seat. Ideally you want the passenger to go down ONTO the seat, not slide across (we're talking 'ideal world here'). Sliding across will goof up the leather eventually (if not the foam too). So, practice and find a way that works for you.

I went through that with my wife early on with another vehicle we have that's up off the ground ..and has a step rail. I could see our way of getting in and out was going to be a problem in the future if we got in/out per normal. Esp with the leather seats. So we adhere to a method of climbing in and out w/o sliding that works great, and isn't funky looking. Years later, now, I don't see any visible degradation to the seat cover or foam, so I guess it's working, ha ha.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 462545View attachment 462547

View attachment 462550

With wat U do and pulling equipment to off road sites and such, I would get black rock sliders, but that is just a BOIRD's opinion.

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How bad is your seat worn now? Replacement foam seat bottoms are available from Ram parts (or ebay) and aren't that much. Just takes a while to replace. You might need to replace it if it's broken down or gone on the edge. Or you could take to an upholsterer. Your leather seat cover might be just fine, or perhaps an upholsterer can put in a new piece if need be (stronger leather on the edge?).

If you get a step/bar/etc. that helps, BUT you still kind of need to re-train yourself a new method of entry/exit that minimizes sliding and compressing that side of the seat. Ideally you want the passenger to go down ONTO the seat, not slide across (we're talking 'ideal world here'). Sliding across will goof up the leather eventually (if not the foam too). So, practice and find a way that works for you.

I went through that with my wife early on with another vehicle we have that's up off the ground ..and has a step rail. I could see our way of getting in and out was going to be a problem in the future if we got in/out per normal. Esp with the leather seats. So we adhere to a method of climbing in and out w/o sliding that works great, and isn't funky looking. Years later, now, I don't see any visible degradation to the seat cover or foam, so I guess it's working, ha ha.
Ah, finally, someone who feels my pain!

At this point, the seats are NOT worn out at all. In fact, everything is mint. I just know from experience that these things are going to take a beating. This is by far the nicest vehicle we have owned in a long time and we want to be as proactive as possible with the interior. I can fix mechanical, but I don't really do upholstery. Nor do I really care for the idea of taking the truck to an upholstery shop to fix a seat.

Also, Unless this truck growers on me, I don't plan on keeping this truck past 2 years. Mostly because it's a black truck and down here in the South West New Mexico, Black is murder.

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
With wat U do and pulling equipment to off road sites and such, I would get black rock sliders, but that is just a BOIRD's opinion.
Rock sliders do look the best, I must admit. I just don't like the funky steps that hang off of them. That only looks good on a lifted truck and I do not plan on lifting the truck. Also, If I take the truck anywhere where rock slider are necessary, I'm just going to take the SxS!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HEY Sir, yer ride, yer $$$$$, lol. Wateva works for U. I personally got full length Mopar on MY 19, works for me. The reason I think rock sliders cause looks like U tow construction stuff and go off road to sites and such. May be better than Mopar OEM due to roads, but hey, wat works for U works for me.

Ride wash waxed 6-18-21.jpg

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
HEY Sir, yer ride, yer $$$$$, lol. Wateva works for U. I personally got full length Mopar on MY 19, works for me. The reason I think rock sliders cause looks like U tow construction stuff and go off road to sites and such. May be better than Mopar OEM due to roads, but hey, wat works for U works for me.
I'm still looking yet. A set of Cab length OEM running boards arrived at the house yesterday but they just didn't look right so I'll be sending them back to the rainforest.

OP
OP
67 StingrayJ

67 StingrayJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I wonder if my MPG issue is due to the(slightly) larger tires I have on the truck and them not being recognized by the trucks computer? People always say their HEMI hauls A$$... Mine just Hauls.

If I get the truck to realize I'm running different tires than the stocks, will the truck automatically adjust things like shift points, MPG calculations, Speed, other?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys and gals.

View attachment 462537View attachment 462538

DRIVE IT, ENJOY IT, and maybe spend some money on it !!!!!!!!!!!