My first Truck(3.6 engine) question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I never had a truck before.

Its the first time im buying a truck.

I made a list of the 3 choice

F-150 3.7 2011 too 2014 v6
Ram 2013-2016 3.6 penstar v6 8 speed transmission
Sierra 2014+ 4.3 v6 6 speed transmission

Im really leaning toward the Ram with the 3.6 with 8 Speed transmission.

The truck i looked is a 2013, 4x4 quad cab v6 3.6 8 speed transmission.

I had american suv before in the past a ford escape and had problems such as water pump and alternator.

My questions is this:

1.Are those ram 3.6 2013+ 8 Speed transmission Reliable?

2.Can i do 100k Miles without having mecanic problems and just changing the oil and tires and brakes?

3.How really are they reliable ram 3.6 engine

4.I read the mpg is very good for a half ton truck

I will not get the hemi v8. Im only interested in the v6 3.6 pentastar with the 8 speed transmission.

I plan to keep the truck for at least 5 years, if i can go 10 years that would be great.

5. Can those 3.6 pentastar engine Last a long times Without having mecanical problems?

Thank you

OP
OP
A

Alexender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Also i really need the 4x4, winters are insane over here, Alot of snow.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, my truck is a 2014 3.6 Tradesman Quad Cab 4x4 with 3.55 gearing. Around 62k miles now with a few thousand miles towing a single axle travel trailer. A number of recalls, a bricked radio from a software update and the oil change monkey (at the dealership no less) managed to crack the plastic oil filter/cooler assembly. The last one took the truck out of service but the local dealership is atrocious in every which way and not something you can blame Ram for. Otherwise oil changes and one set of tires around 33k miles. Brakes still had plenty of pad left last time I checked about 2 months ago.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I don't have a v6, but from what I've read on the forum is that all 3 of the brands you listed could have their own issues, and it's a gamble as far as reliability goes. Ram v6 is comparable to other brands that you listed, maybe a bit better. I'm sure you heard this before, and I'll say it once again that Toyota would be more reliable than an American truck. Fuel economy should be just fine, comparable for a full size truck.

In general, it seems that the far majority of people here buy ram trucks because they like them (looks comfort power) and they're loyal to the brand and truck . Even if the truck breaks we all suck it up and get them repaired .. Because our trucks have a special place in our hearts. Or maybe people get attached to their trucks. I mean they're pretty cool as long as it's not breaking.

Buying a 2014 means you probably won't have any warranty.. Maybe 5yr powertrain if truck is under 100k miles. I wouldn't buy a used truck without warranty, without knowing if it had all the maintenance.... It's just not my cup of tea and too much risk for me personally, but others do it .

You're looking to buy a 2013 truck and keep it for 5-10 years trouble free?? That's pushing it in my opinion. A 10 year old American truck without issues? Very unlikely unless you're super lucky with used vehicles especially that you probably won't know its history.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I just traded in my 2013 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 CC with v6/8spd/3.21 in May on a 2018 1500 Laramie w/v8/8spd/3.21...

The v6 was a fantastic truck for me and I had zero issues with it after 4 years and 40k miles. Great gas mileage.
Hauled an apartment's worth of stuff with it fully loaded and a 5x8 enclosed trailer out back from VA to Indiana, then here to SC, no problem. Hauled my 68 mustang on a 6x12 uhaul car hauler fromv storage in VA over the mountains to SC doing 70mph without issue. Sure the v6 has to hit higher Revs, but that's what it's designed to do. Plus the 8 speed helps it out quite a bit.

Only reason I traded it was because my son started working at the local dealer down here and I got a great deal.

Look around for some of my earlier posts and you can see for yourself.

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1691533

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1308617

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1720540

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alexender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I don't have a v6, but from what I've read on the forum is that all 3 of the brands you listed could have their own issues, and it's a gamble as far as reliability goes. Ram v6 is comparable to other brands that you listed, maybe a bit better. I'm sure you heard this before, and I'll say it once again that Toyota would be more reliable than an American truck. Fuel economy should be just fine, comparable for a full size truck.

In general, it seems that the far majority of people here buy ram trucks because they like them (looks comfort power) and they're loyal to the brand and truck . Even if the truck breaks we all suck it up and get them repaired .. Because our trucks have a special place in our hearts. Or maybe people get attached to their trucks. I mean they're pretty cool as long as it's not breaking.

Buying a 2014 means you probably won't have any warranty.. Maybe 5yr powertrain if truck is under 100k miles. I wouldn't buy a used truck without warranty, without knowing if it had all the maintenance.... It's just not my cup of tea and too much risk for me personally, but others do it .

You're looking to buy a 2013 truck and keep it for 5-10 years trouble free?? That's pushing it in my opinion. A 10 year old American truck without issues? Very unlikely unless you're super lucky with used vehicles especially that you probably won't know its history.
I was thinking about a Tundra but not sure, I read they use so much gaz.

The 3.6 pentastar was interesting. For the mpg. One of the best in fullsize truck for the v6.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
The 3.6 is a great engine, and has proven itself. I think you will be extremely happy with that motor and an 8 speed

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The 3.6 pentastar was interesting. For the mpg. One of the best in fullsize truck for the v6.

You will likely get it back in resale value and repairs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, to all your questions!!! I have a 2014 and other then a faulty fuel pump @ less then 5000 miles. I haven't had any problems, get great gas mileage, and plenty of power when needed.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti

Yes, tundra will use more gas but did you do the actual math with $? I'm just guessing but let's assume that over 1 year, you will pay maybe $500 more for gas with tundra vs a v6 ram, but will have better reliability and resale value. It depends on your financial situation of course, so you can decide for yourself if $500 per year is a lot of money for you as far as gas expenses go. This number will vary depending on how much you drive of course.

Ram v6 is not a bad economy choice, but you have to understand that you're buying a 5 year old truck ... Things will be starting to break eventually.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 15 wrangler with the Pentastar engine and eight speed trans had been issue free for 62000 miles. Changing plugs is costly if you have it done. I believe it is a fine engine and very reliable. I am skeptical of some of the mpg numbers being posted, but I have never owned a ram with the v6. Longevity is directly related to how the engine is driven and maintained.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Don’t go to the tyoder junkdra
Stick with Ram after all that’s why you chose the RamForum.
Shame on the guys trying to steer you away from a Ram.
I had a 12 charger V6 and it was badass. The pentstar engine is great and very long lasting.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've only had my 2017 for a few months now, but...

* The Pentastar is a solid engine with a long history of lasting a long time. Unlike the high-strung dual-turbo Ford EcoBoost, the little 3.6 is almost guaranteed to last for many, many more miles - and more importantly, for many more years. Anybody can rack up 200k miles in a handful of years but still have a decent engine, but can they do that 10-15 years in the future? Betting the turbos are going to wear out the EcoBoost engines (or wear out themselves) in a shorter time, unless you put in a lot more maintenance. Not really sure what the GMC v6 looks like, though.

* More bang for the buck - the Pentastar gives you 305hp, without the long-term looming issues that turbochargers tend to bring. Again, I'm not really up to speed on the GMC engine.

* As far as mpg, I average 24 mpg unladen, driving in mountain roads in the Oregon Coastal Range. It drops to around 20mpg or so when I drag a small-but-full livestock trailer behind it, or load the bed down with firewood (Douglas Fir usually - we don't have too many hardwoods up here).

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I have the 3.6 and love this motor and truck. Get the 3.55 gears if you can as it ups tow capacity a lot and does not appear to hurt mpg at all. I agree with McBroom, oohrah.

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 Big Horn V6. It's my daily driver and I commute 40 miles a day. it gets about 19.5 miles per gallon driving 50/50 highway and city. I used to drive an expedition that got 14/15 miles per gallon, similar to slightly better than an older Tundra. I'm saving about $60 per month in gas, which is about $2.70 per gallon in this area.
My buddy has a 2010 Tundra that was recalled for a rusting frame. Had the truck at the dealer for a week to have it powder coated. Tundras aren't bullet proof, and my own personal experience with Toyota is that I'll never own another one. All 5 door actuators on my wife's 2015 highlander went. $1500.00!!! Check out the Toyota forums, its a common problem that Toyota won't fix.
IMO the US cars have the same quality as the Japanese cars now. It's a debatable whether the US quality increased, or the Japanese quality decreased. Probably a little of both.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've owned lots of different vehicles in 30yrs of driving. Many of them trucks and SUVs. I've never owned a V8, which is probably a big reason why my pentastar powered Ram feels so good to me. Owning something big to tow is not in my wheel house at this point in life, so the 3.6, 8spd, 3.21gears is perfect for me. I do an 80mile/day work commute and have clocked about 8500mi on my 2017 since I bought it this April. Fuel economy is phenomenal for a full sized pickup. I see folks say they only get 19-20mpg out of their pentastar Rams with regular driving. I've not had mine give me less than 24mpg tank/tank (over a whole tank of gas) and this is by calculating MPG by hand, not relying on the dash readout that tends to indiciate 0.5mpg better. This is with some mixed driving, with 1-2 more people in the truck in between my work commute. Sure, I can get a single trip at 26mpg and one at 22. It levels out to 24 over the tank.

Is buying used a risk? It's a risk with any make/model. Like said, the pentastar is a well proven engine. I've recently learned the pentastar Rams do have the "lighter duty" version of the 8spd, the 8HP45, vs the 8HP70 that the 5.7's have, but that's a non concern IMO. This series of transmission is one of the best, be it the low, medium or high torque version. They're all good.

I think you'll find a used pentastar Ram, quad cab 4x4 to be an excellent value. I paid $22600+TTL for my used 2017 with 12K miles on it. A chevy or ford half ton with a V6 would be over $30K. Same with 'yota.

Timway61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Gasoline V6
I’ve had 2 Ram Quad cab 1500’s with the 3.6L pentastar and 8 speed transmissions. But my 2014 had the 3.21 gears that got me 23/24 mpg
Now I have a 2016 with the 3.55 gears and average 20/21 mpg. No mechanical issues with either of them. I have to drive up to Wisconsin and Back to Florida for my doctors every 12 months, I used to do it every 3 months when I had the 2014 Ram, never had any issues at all.

Timway61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Gasoline V6
Also, the Dodge / Ram trucks have always been a little roomier due to being a little wider then the Chevy and Ford trucks.

pat leary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pennstar 3.6
I owned a 2017 ram 1500 4/4 with a 3.6 penstar.What a great truck,I pulled a 22 foot trailer from fla to Yellowstone park and from fla to Ottawa canada,never had the first problem.I could not believe the mpg.I got better fuel economy then I did with my 2015 toyota tacoma.I recently traded for a 2018 ram to pull a much bigger trailer.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7