My Hemi Tick Video (Please Help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is annoying. I had the bolts and passenger side manifold done recently and I only have 30k miles on my 2016 Hemi.

In the video I start it up and you hear the tick for just 2-3 seconds, then I let the RPM’s go down before I put it in gear. The tick happens only in gear and I go in and out of neutral every 5 seconds or so.

redline 5w20 RP filter (smaller one)

What am I dealing with here?
Sorry for the wind in the video

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Check belts make sure there are no cracks or chunks missing sometimes that sounds like a tick. Does it do it more loudly as it gets hot? Like after running it for asy an hour and then letting it sit do you rear a good tick?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds like your lifters. Synthetic oil thread has great information on this. I see your on the track with the redline oil already. However going to 5w-30 is what others suggest, I had this exact situation in mine a couple of years ago, went to RL 5w-30 haven't had the noise since , ( UNLESS ) i crank the truck cold move it in the yard a short distance then don't crank it until the next day. So if you crank it let it get to operating temp before shutdown.

May have to ask others about the climate your in but its what i did.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check belts make sure there are no cracks or chunks missing sometimes that sounds like a tick. Does it do it more loudly as it gets hot? Like after running it for asy an hour and then letting it sit do you rear a good tick?
The tick goes away after a couple of minutes of warming up, or when I give it throttle. It’s only ticking on cold idle when in gear. Yes, I would say the tick is worse when I run the truck for a minute and leave it. That said I don’t feel like I should have to take it for a long drive just to put it to bed after I wash it.

The reason I am on 5w20 redline is because I have 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty left on it. So I figure this will be a free fix, the mechanic had it last week for a couple of days and said it seemed “normal”. I strongly disagree.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of that noise is coming from your serpentine belt it changes when you put it in gear, if you watch the alternator the belt seems uneven, and there is a lifter tick, try the Redline 5w30w full synthetic and Lube Gard Bio Tech and SRT filter and see if the tick goes away.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will also say the tick on startup sounds more like the manifold bolts exhaust leak. Then the idol tick in gear is more of a “rattle” tick

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Have you tried giving it a quick little rev before shutting off just for ***** and giggles? I have a habit of doing that just because I like to let people know I'm parking and shutting down my monster.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tried giving it a quick little rev before shutting off just for ***** and giggles? I have a habit of doing that just because I like to let people know I'm parking and shutting down my monster.
Hmm. No, I can’t say I’ve done that. In what way would that affect my situation?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What outside temperature are these starts? Happens cold or when warm out? Can you take a vid of warm idle, after driving 10 minutes? I have to say bud, this is a very mild case. I'd consider getting a uoa at one point. Maybe a second run of redline.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds A Hell of a lot better then my truck ever did i wouldn't worry about it at all Just run good oil dont skip or cheap out on oil changes.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What outside temperature are these starts? Happens cold or when warm out? Can you take a vid of warm idle, after driving 10 minutes? I have to say bud, this is a very mild case. I'd consider getting a uoa at one point. Maybe a second run of redline.
We are pretty comfortable outside. I’d say low of 40’s high in the 50’s. Temp doesn’t seem to affect it much. I’d say the tick is louder in person. It sounds ****** TBH

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When you have genuine lifter tick, the engine wear looks so bad you would rather walk outside and choke your horse then look at the report. So if the wear looks like regular hemi wear, there would be no issue to worry about, if the wear is high, let me know we will figure something out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even after 5 or 6 oil changes, my wear was still over 50ppm iron and 100ppm copper at the 10k mile mark on the oil, even after I ended hemi tick with redline. Now, that is like 1/2 of what it was when the truck was ticking. Point being, get a uoa it will let you know how bad this is. If the engine is young, take the numbers with a grain of salt, if the engine has over 30k miles, then the wear should be normalized.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also understand the hemi’s are notorious noisy engines.
i still don’t think this is quite right though.

Once the Covid-19 vaccine comes through, plus a second vaccine to cure people from turning into zombies from the first vaccine, I will take the truck in to get reassessed and replace the belt.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the same video with no wind, and from under the truck. I think you can hear it more clearly now. Definitely 2 very different sounds. I think broken bolt exhaust leak on the startup, then the in gear idol sounds awful.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely the same tick i had. Lifters.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01