My New Member Introduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I just joined today. I just got word that I can have my dads 2002 Gen3 4.7L 1500. I'm pretty excited to start to restore this truck. My brother has been using the car for a few years now (it works but i'm trying to restore it to its glory). The car is 18yrs old and has round 140k miles.

My first question is what should I do for preventative maintenance in order to keep this truck going.
I did some looking around here and I didn't really see any popular threads or stickys related to general maintenance.

My goals are to get this truck working so it will last a few more year or maybe more.

I was thinking maybe, do an oil change, change spark plugs, new air intake filter. I don't know of any other fluids that should or should not be replaced due to age.

Other issues with the truck, a/c | heat only works on full blast, while driving it says there is normal oil, then no oil, CEL, normal noises from suspension being old, can't really go over 65 on highway

Once all maintenance aspects are covered, I may do some light upgrades, new tires, level or lift kit, CAI (do these help MPG at all?), does anyone know if there is an aftermarket headunit that supports carplay for this system that I could do.

Lastly, is there a popular ODB device that you would suggest that I could look at the codes, i'm assuming this has an obd port

Thanks for any advice.
-BK

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You might want to check the ball joints and front end as well as servicing the transmission and rear differential also. Oh, let's not forget the brakes. Good luck

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might want to check the ball joints and front end as well as servicing the transmission and rear differential also. Oh, let's not forget the brakes. Good luck
thanks for the reply, I know it probably needs a lot, but i'm willing to throw in a few grand to get it right. I just don't have the experience. I need to do way more research as its all on the new somewhere but I figured I would join here as it looks like there is some activity, not as much as my other fourm. Thanks again

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

Check the track bar and end links. This generation Ram is notorious for failure of those components.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Youtube can walk you through a lot by typing in topics like "change power steering fluid, transmission service, oil pressure switch, rear differential fluid, etc., in Dodge 4.7" This and other forums offer very good ideas on these topics that youtube videos miss. I also have an Alldatadiy.com subscription for my vehicles. Be mentally prepared to fight rusty bolts.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I bought my 04 Ram that sat for quite awhile, here's what I did if I remember everything.

Changed oil
New MAF sensor
New 02 sensors (4)
Cleaned throttle body
Flushed radiator
Changed diff fluids and transfer case.
Dropped tranny pan, replaced filters
Bled brakes
New air filter
Spark plugs
Cleaned PVC valve
Greased front end.

Installed a performance tune, kicked the tires and drove off.

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies everyone, im keeping a running list of everything in a google doc. I have another car (VW GTI) which I have done a lot of things too (easier modifications). My experience is following DIY videos, youtube, ect. Took the car to local wawa and it definitely needs an alignment haha.

I do have a decent garage and some jacks/ stands, tools. I'm trying to figure out if I want to just buy whole replacement as some of these items may work but it would be nicer to replace since they are 20 years old. Good news is these parts seem cheap vs what I am used to for the 2017 car (expensive)

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello again, so I was talking with my father in law to be last night about the truck, he did a inspection on it once for my brother.
He was saying I should really hold off on dropping any money into the truck until I get the oil situation figured out.

Issue: oil is in engine. Oil gauge on cluster shows Low some times, today on start it was at low for a while, then it went to normal between Low and High. While driving it will sometimes go to Low, check gauges pops up, then it goes back to normal level. It will sometimes sit at the low level for a bit too.

From my googleing trying to learn, people say:

Replace:
Oil pressure switch
Oil pressure sensor

Or
sludge building up in oil pan clogging up oil pump screen

Replace Oil pressure sender

Withouth knowing really where or what any of these are, is there something I should do first that may fix the issue and are these easy jobs for a low experience garage guy like myself?

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The oil pressure switch would be an easy place to start , $50 Mopar.
You'll also need the oil pressure switch socket $ 7.

You can Google location but all the ones I've replaced were located close to oil filter.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you would like to view the codes. Just do the free "key trick"! Get in the truck, shut the door. Put the key in the ignition. Now cycle the key to accessory, then off, then accessory, then off, then accessory. once on accessory for the last time (third), leave it there and the codes will display in your odometer screen/window. Good luck!

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Ram family. You'll get a LOT of information from this forum and will likely be spending a lot of time just looking at "random stuff" as well - I know I do. Anyway, good luck with your rig...

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah my tech said he replaced the switch, odd, I didn't get a chance to look into it yet. This was last year so idn. but, I got the obd in the mail today. So I can run/ clear codes tomorrow and see what comes back and is likely wrong.

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my tech lol my father in law to be to clarify things. he really thinks it could need a rebuild and to fix the oil thing first.
If you would like to view the codes. Just do the free "key trick"! Get in the truck, shut the door. Put the key in the ignition. Now cycle the key to accessory, then off, then accessory, then off, then accessory. once on accessory for the last time (third), leave it there and the codes will display in your odometer screen/window. Good luck!
I think I saw this online somewhere, I have the tool from amazon only like 30 bucks to just plug in and view the codes, clear. Ill have to record what is there to see whats going on. Once I get all the codes cleared and the car in my name, I will start to go to town on actually dumping some money in and fixing it up

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little update, cleaned the inside of the truck yesterday. Man the truck cleans up nice. Added some caulk to the rear middle window weather stripe as it was pretty loose. Had part of the dash break off and go into the vent hole in front right... yeah after 20 years of sun the dash breaks on touch. So I had to mcgiver tape around a screwdriver to get the pieces out. Besides that I just wiped down some of the engine bay, 20 years of dust in there.

I have some bits and pieces coming today. I cleared the 02 sensor (low bank 1, high voltage codes last week. Havn't driven a whole lot but they havn't came back just yet.

I do have a new oil switch so i'm hoping its just some sludge on the pump when I drop the pan.
Air filter looks pretty new so I guess i'll leave that.

I should probably replace the plugs when I do the throttle body.

Still need to figure out what tires to go with as mine are at like 2/32. I'm thinking of getting the PA 3" kit. I probably need to replace a lot of the oem suspension as its very old but I need to get under there with someone who knows what they are looking at. Besides being a bit rusty it all looks ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye