My new Ram is a **** lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and new to Ram trucks. I recently sold my F150 FX4 Ecoboost and picked up a Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L Hemi. Comparing the two as far as engine performance is really no comparison. I has able to do burnouts, quickly merge on to high ways, and go from 60-100mph very quickly. I understand my new truck is more of a luxury vehicle and not a offroad monster but I am having trouble comparing the two engines and their performance. In my Ram it is virtually impossible to even chirp the tires, and acceleration is unimpressive. I plan on getting a tuner but what are other issues that could be holding it back?
I know I can look up mods and upgrades in the forum ( and I have) but just looking for some advice or support to guide me in the right direction.
Thanks!

OP
OP
R

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and new to Ram trucks. I recently sold my F150 FX4 Ecoboost and picked up a Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L Hemi. Comparing the two as far as engine performance is really no comparison. I has able to do burnouts, quickly merge on to high ways, and go from 60-100mph very quickly. I understand my new truck is more of a luxury vehicle and not a offroad monster but I am having trouble comparing the two engines and their performance. In my Ram it is virtually impossible to even chirp the tires, and acceleration is unimpressive. I plan on getting a tuner but what are other issues that could be holding it back?
I know I can look up mods and upgrades in the forum ( and I have) but just looking for some advice or support to guide me in the right direction.
Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
fill out this form,

it will tell you what rear differential ratio your Ram has & if it has the Limited Slip Differential
If the ratio is a 3:92 & LSD, it should not spin the tires
it should grip & go

Have you tried putting the shifter in 2nd gear & press the GO pedal ?

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You must of had the 3.5 eco. The 5.7 won’t keep up with it. Do you have the v-6 ram? If so that was a mistake. My 5.7 will smoke the tires and stomps a lot of other trucks and cars. It’s basically stock. Pulls hills like mad and tows my 21’ bass boat with ease. Or maybe you’re trolling? Lol

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
... what are other issues that could be holding it back?....

Essentially, an understanding of all things mechanical.
Quite buying based on price and color and start reading up on the fundamentals of automobile, trucks specifically, their purpose, function and performance.

Yes, your twin turbo charged Mouse on Super Soldier Steroids could do all kinds of things.
However, just like the villains, from the Fu-Manchu Iron Man Movie, it was going to overheat and exploded.

If burnouts and the like are important, to you, then buy a car or truck designed to do that.
Ram will do it too.

As evidence by the Twin Stripes of Mopar Power I have painted all over my town.
Then again, I knew enough to get the Hemi, 8 spd and 3.92 posi.

Though, I got to admit, the soft Firestone OEM Rubber helps a bit too.
Now, if I would add twin turbo's or a supercharger to my hemi, oh boy

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious... my Ram Limited is heavy and I have the 3.21 axle and if I'm not careful, the rear tires will break loose when accelerating even remotely hard. I am perfectly happy with the power and acceleration of my Ram and I too owned the 3.5 ecoboost.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the driver not the truck. Learn the features and you will be able to do what ever you want. Read the owners manual and how to disable Traction Control.

I remember high school, doing burn outs. Those were the days….. LMAO

Give your parents back the keys.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
My friend had a classic v6 on 35s and that even did a burnout, not a impressive one, but it did it. You should not have a problem. My 2022 classic CCSB with 5.7L and 3.92’s with a lt E ko2’s is still pretty fast for a truck especially when stomping on the gas while already moving.

OP
OP
R

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You must of had the 3.5 eco. The 5.7 won’t keep up with it. Do you have the v-6 ram? If so that was a mistake. My 5.7 will smoke the tires and stomps a lot of other trucks and cars. It’s basically stock. Pulls hills like mad and tows my 21’ bass boat with ease. Or maybe you’re trolling? Lol
Yes, I had the 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost. I have the 5.7L hemi. I'll have to look into gear ratios like suggested before by @GTyankee. Mine is stock as well. I think I def need to start with a tune and an exhaust.

OP
OP
R

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My friend had a classic v6 on 35s and that even did a burnout, not a impressive one, but it did it. You should not have a problem. My 2022 classic CCSB with 5.7L and 3.92’s with a lt E ko2’s is still pretty fast for a truck especially when stomping on the gas while already moving.
That is why I am asking if there could be something amiss and what I should look for/improve on.

OP
OP
R

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like the driver not the truck. Learn the features and you will be able to do what ever you want. Read the owners manual and how to disable Traction Control.

I remember high school, doing burn outs. Those were the days….. LMAO

Give your parents back the keys.
Thanks for your reply but respectfully I'm 39 and perfectly versed in automobiles and all things that go. I am not looking to do a burnout I just expected more from the all powerful Hemi and looking for advice from some veterans in the area.

OP
OP
R

Ram1500LarLong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What ever happened to just answering the question without judgement or assumptions? I was under the impression we were all Ram owners looking to help each other out with our truck problems. I'm not here to give someone crap because they don't know about something I know and I'm not looking for crap about something I do not know.
I have worked on engines my whole life. I'm 39. I have a 1964 Corvette Stingray with a big block and many upgrades. If I was looking to do burnouts and race I'd drive that.
Once I sift through the sarcasm and BS in your answers it sounds like my issues are either engine output or gear ratio.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I had the 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost. I have the 5.7L hemi. I'll have to look into gear ratios like suggested before by @GTyankee. Mine is stock as well. I think I def need to start with a tune and an exhaust.
If you want more power from it, toss on a super charger.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
stock 2012 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L
12 year old 4th gen. How many miles are on it? Could just be a tired or abused engine. Also, you should have posted this in the 4th gen section instead of the 5th gen section.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
That is why I am asking if there could be something amiss and what I should look for/improve on.

Is it stock? Does it have stupidly heavier tires/rims on it? You literally can't spin the tires or you just think it's slower? What gear ratio? Any signs the transmission is slipping, etc. etc. If you're well versed in vehicles, you've got to know "it feels slower than a different truck" isn't sufficient to get any sort of real feedback. Especially if one truck is heavier, different gear ratios, different drive train, etc.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, my RAM (2017/w 48k miles) doesn't have anything holding it back from smoking the tires, going 60-100 mph at an drop the hat and even merging with traffic on the Interstate. Mine is stock, 8 speed tranny with 3.21 rear gears.

I'm 62 years old and those days of burning up the roads trying to impress whomever are long gone. But, I'll still kick it in the ass from time to time just for good measure and It's still nice to know that my truck can do these things, but just hearing the sound alone of a HEMI beats that of any 4 or 6 banger turbo thingy.

So, maybe your HEMI is tired and could use a refresher ... compare a newer fresh HEMI to that Ecobust and maybe you'll have an better insight for a more fair comparison of the the two.

There's a lot of folks here that have done tons of different performance mods with many types of go fast goodie combinations that will be happy to steer you in the direction of performance that you are seeking to achieve.

Welcome to RAMforum and Happy motoring.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One word there's no replacement for displacement, try unleashing the exhaust to start, get rid of the crap stock muffler and put duals on it, just what you did on your corvette im sure, nothing better than the exhaust note from a V-8, I had one of those EB rice burning machines, yes torque off the line but a dud at the finish line.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If a vehicle is able to merge into traffic at an Highway On Ramp, it is good enough.

You could put the correct NGK Spark Plugs in it
NGK 92174 Standard; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044"
or
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium; Pre-Set Gap: 0.044
Longer lasting

Cleaning the Throttle Body will do wonders

If you want, You could drive to your local auto Parts store & ask them if they could hook up their scanner, to check for hidden trouble codes

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat