Need a laugh (dealer service prices)? UPDATED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJGUSMC21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
'Rear Differential $149.95'

That's it? (joking implied). Just had my 2014 LS in for a oil leak....

Service Manager:
'Oh btw, you need your rear differential serviced'.

Me: 'And lets just humor me here....what's it going to cost?'

Service Manger:
'$265.00.'

Me: 'And lets be clear: this involves you just draining it and replacing the fluid, correct?'

Service Manager:
'Yes.'

Me:
'Nope.'

:)

mopareg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Fuel System Cleaners can't be all that bad, I've used Lucas oil Fuel injector & Fuel System cleaner for the life of my 2000 Ram 1500 Off-Road. 19 years old and 158K. and no problems.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Fluid services other than a basic engine oil change always seem to have crazy high prices, even if they are an easy drain fill. Engine and cabin air filters are another one.

On stuff like brake work, this is going back about 3yrs ago, but when I had the bride's 2013 Grand Caravan in for a State inspection, the local FCA dealer failed it on rear bakes. They wanted something like $350 for rear pads and rotors. I declined. Not having the time to do it myself and the inspection due, I took it to a local mom & pop tire and service shop I like that could get me in that day. What did that wind-up costing me for the rear brake job? $350. LOL.. ugh..

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On stuff like brake work, this is going back about 3yrs ago, but when I had the bride's 2013 Grand Caravan in for a State inspection, the local FCA dealer failed it on rear bakes. They wanted something like $350 for rear pads and rotors. I declined. Not having the time to do it myself and the inspection due, I took it to a local mom & pop tire and service shop I like that could get me in that day. What did that wind-up costing me for the rear brake job? $350. LOL.. ugh..

I think it's fair to say we've all been guilty of that!

TXCOMT

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First, the admonition against fuel system cleaners is aimed at in-tank type chemicals. Many manufacturers fuel system cleaning processes are different in that they directly insert a chemical into the fuel rails to clean the injectors. Chrysler does have a recommended chemical for in-tank cleaning.

People should understand that dealers have overhead costs the vast majority of independent shops do not. Dealers must send technicians to training classes for specific subject training, plus the yearly training for product updates in order to maintain certification. The dealers bear this cost. The service departments must also have a full-time factory certified service manager.

There's an advantage of having factory trained techs working on vehicles of the same lineage all of the time, with easy access to factory service bulletins and gaining experience from repetition that may take independent techs a long time to acquire.

Do you realize the overhead difference of maintaining a building big enough for ten lifts or more, versus the average independent shops with an average of three?

They must also stock all of the special tools and specific make/model service parts that independents don't. Dealers are also mandated to provide a certain stocking level of prescribed parts.

In general, dealers also provide service employees paid health benefits that many independents don't. In the one mile diameter of me the four dealers (CDJR, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan) all have the same shop labor rate - $99 per hour. The independent shop I've done business with in the past is now at $90. There are probably some cheaper, but unless their overhead is a lot lower I'm betting there's not a big difference.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008698 miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Independents don't have the support of auto manufacturers behind them either, or an the aforementioned group throwing them tons of money with warranty work and guaranteed money with actual car sales.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
First, the admonition against fuel system cleaners is aimed at in-tank type chemicals. Many manufacturers fuel system cleaning processes are different in that they directly insert a chemical into the fuel rails to clean the injectors. Chrysler does have a recommended chemical for in-tank cleaning.

People should understand that dealers have overhead costs the vast majority of independent shops do not. Dealers must send technicians to training classes for specific subject training, plus the yearly training for product updates in order to maintain certification. The dealers bear this cost. The service departments must also have a full-time factory certified service manager.

There's an advantage of having factory trained techs working on vehicles of the same lineage all of the time, with easy access to factory service bulletins and gaining experience from repetition that may take independent techs a long time to acquire.

Do you realize the overhead difference of maintaining a building big enough for ten lifts or more, versus the average independent shops with an average of three?

They must also stock all of the special tools and specific make/model service parts that independents don't. Dealers are also mandated to provide a certain stocking level of prescribed parts.

In general, dealers also provide service employees paid health benefits that many independents don't. In the one mile diameter of me the four dealers (CDJR, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan) all have the same shop labor rate - $99 per hour. The independent shop I've done business with in the past is now at $90. There are probably some cheaper, but unless their overhead is a lot lower I'm betting there's not a big difference.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 008698 miles.
Sure, you listed all of the theoretical advantages of a dealership..

However, the big downsides that outweighs them all is that the best mechanics aren't going to stick around working at dealership long, dealers pressure mechanics into quotas and profit maximization which is the priority over doing the proper repair, and dealers got endless flow of warranty work so they can care less about how customers feel about their service because they will comeback anyway for warranty work

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

However, the big downsides that outweighs them all is that the best mechanics aren't going to stick around working at dealership long, dealers pressure mechanics into quotas and profit maximization which is the priority over doing the proper repair, and dealers got endless flow of warranty work so they can care less about how customers feel about their service because they will comeback anyway for warranty work

That’s not really true in my experience where I live anyway. As a dealer tech myself I’ve met a lot of other techs through my apprenticeship and dealer training. Vast majority of the good techs I’ve met have been dealer techs. If a tech is good at what he does and wants to make good money, a dealer is where it can be done.

I’ve also met a lot of meatballs as well, both dealer and independent but most were at independent shops. A lot of the independent techs I’ve met have been lazy and don’t want to work or put in the effort so they go to an independent shop that pays hourly instead of flat rate.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That is a simple generalization. At my dealership the eight mainline Level 2 techs have been with the dealer since it opened and all have worked at CDJR dealers since beginning their careers. One fellow has over 25 years.

I've never heard of any "quota" system being applied, but there could be pressure on work output. Since this is a flat-rate industry, if individual techs are taking much longer than the flat-rate for repairs, they may be demoted to the oil change bays, or dismissed. But even in those cases it has to be relatively severe.

And don't think that pressure doesn't exist in an independent shop. I've worked in a couple. They have the same customer types as dealers customers and the shop that turns wrenches slowly is going to have customer satisfaction issues.

The perception that techs at a dealership are less competent, or perform poorly because they have all that warranty work is false. If a tech has a comeback on a warranty issue for the same problem, the dealership IS NOT reimbursed by the factory for the techs time, and subsequently the tech isn't paid either.

In general, the one thing that small, independent shops offer over many dealerships is potentially a more personal relationship with the customer. At dealerships its the service manager that usually sets the operational guidelines for the shop.

Regards,
Dusty

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That’s not really true in my experience where I live anyway. As a dealer tech myself I’ve met a lot of other techs through my apprenticeship and dealer training. Vast majority of the good techs I’ve met have been dealer techs. If a tech is good at what he does and wants to make good money, a dealer is where it can be done.

I’ve also met a lot of meatballs as well, both dealer and independent but most were at independent shops. A lot of the independent techs I’ve met have been lazy and don’t want to work or put in the effort so they go to an independent shop that pays hourly instead of flat rate.
Tach_tech
Do dealers have benefit packages, medical, dental, 401k matching etc that small mom & pop shops typically don't have? If so I would think that type of benefit would help keep talented mechanics.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Really depends on the dealer, we only have health benefits. No 401k or equivalent, some do, some don’t.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealerships seem to be the one exception to the saying "You get what you pay for". There are some exceptions, but the techs have no say in the pricing or their compensation for that matter. Finding a good tech, mechanic, PDR guy, etc etc is like finding a gold mine. I have found that if you take care of them they will take care of you. When was the last time someone did something for you---truck, house, whatever, and said "If you like my work, tell your friends who did it". Genuine craftsman, that are proud of their work, are a dying breed. IMHO
Jay

I am fortunate, have a decent dealership. But I did not go to the dealer in town, drove to another town 45 miles away to buy. YUP, when I get good work regardless, vehicle, house, etc. I pass it a long. Had my house exterior painted by a great guy. Did good work. So when I had roof done, the roof guy wanted to know who painted my house, he wanted to work out a duo deal. Contacted paint guy, and got OK to share info to other contractor. HARD to find ne of that anymore. It is all only about the $$$$$$$$$ and not service, competence, and backing of work, all IMHO.....

And when U find a good/great mechanic/shop, hold onto that because they are rarer and harder to find.....

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been lucky enough to identify a couple of techs at my local dealership that do a really good job and care about the work they perform. If I have to go to the dealership for anything I tell the service writer I want them to work on the truck and no one else. If they are busy and can't, I postpone the work. I take the time to talk to them, I've brought them donuts in the morning, I give them Xmas cards and generally let them know how much I appreciate them taking good care of my truck and I always let the service manager know how well they did fixing my truck. My advise is, it is worth the time to find someone you like and trust and does a good job. If you do these things you won't be the one writing on here about your horror story at a dealership.
Jay

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
delete posted wrong thread, duh

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Care to see some service pricing from a Dallas-Fort Worth-area CDJR dealer? While my Reb was getting the U53 recall work done today, I asked her about swapping fluids in the t-case and diffs...here's the response I got a few hours ago, along with other "recommended" work:

Front Differential $149.95

Rear Differential $149.95

Transfer Case Service $ 119.95

Brake Fluid Flush $129.95

Fuel System $139.95

Throttle Body $89.95 or

Combo for the two (fuel & throttle) is $199.95.

I LOL'd, then replied in the negative. They don't call 'em stealerships for nothin'!

Here are some updated service prices:

Oil/filter change: $34.95 (semi-synth); $69.95 (synth)

Front or rear brake service w/ machining rotors: $199.95

TXCOMT
Was at my local dealer in Staten Island New York and their hourly rate for mechanical work is 195.00 per hour so that is like 20 bucks just to open your hood

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$135 diagnostic fee near Charlotte NC. $79 Four Wheel Alignment on a P/U?