Need Advice - 18 Laramie/3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine - Enough Power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6cyl
I'm on the market for a Ram truck. My mind was set on a HEMI, because I LOVED the power when I test drove a BigHorn with a Hemi last summer. But today I test drove 2018 Laramine with 3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine, and it seems to have enough power BUT i'm worried it is an under-powered motor for the vehicle size.

I'm hoping that someone who actually has this truck (3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel), to give me an honest opinion about what they think about this engine. Is it powerful enough? Do you wish you bought a gas engine? If yes, why? Any Pros and Cons please? Other advice?

Just to give you an idea, I am not in construction, just need a VERY comfy ride for family activities. Here is how I will use the truck:
-Looong road trips with the family.
-Camping trips
-Skiing trips
-We "might" get a tear-drop camper. I'm guessing that's enough of a truck to pull it.

Thanks you in advance

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think under normal circumstances it would be fine for day to day driving and not really that noticeable unless you like to hammer it on a regular basis. Due to the fact that it makes 420 lb-ft of torque at 2000 RPM vs the Hemi's 410 at a much higher 3950 RPM will help a lot to. Just remember you have to deal with DEF fluid, more expensive oil changes and possible issues with the emissions systems that are a non issue with a gas motor. Also diesel fuel generally costs a lot more than gasoline does too. You can also get a lifetime Maxcare warranty with gas vehicles and I'm not sure but I think 120K is the max warranty mileage for a diesel.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't have, but the ecodiesel is more than up to the tasks you listed. The 6 cyl Pentastar would also suit your needs.

Last edited:

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had a 2016 Ecodiesel and the power was excellent. The power the diesel delivers feels completely different than a gas motor. That's why you have the diesel crowd that are so into their trucks and would never own a gas engine. I absolutely loved the truck but I traded it after only 6 months due to reliability issues they were having at that time. Hopefully they have been corrected. Only time will tell???

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I had a hemi and went to a ecod, i love the ecod mileage but prefer the response of the hemi gas, so cant win them all

The turbo lag is ridiculous for this 3 ton truck with 6 small pistons that make up the 3.0L

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Recently drove two Eco Diesels. Lots of lag and slow off the line. Was a big issue for me and caused me to lack confidence to pull out in traffic. That might change after you own it for a while. Pickup is okay once it's moving but I still felt it was under powered for me. I've been driving Hemi powered Rams since 09 so I may just be to used to the extra power.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Recently drove two Eco Diesels. Lots of lag and slow off the line. Was a big issue for me and caused me to lack confidence to pull out in traffic. That might change after you own it for a while. Pickup is okay once it's moving but I still felt it was under powered for me. I've been driving Hemi powered Rams since 09 so I may just be to used to the extra power.

I had an eco diesel before I got my ‘18 hemi and yes the lag on the diesel from a standstill is way more delayed than a normal car. I got used to it though after like a week and when I jumped back into my wife’s Hyundai Santa Fe I had to get used to a normal throttle response again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Sounds like they should have run twin turbos on it.
That was the bad thing with my 6.7 the turbo lag was bad after the stock turbo went out and I put a big turbo on it.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I had one, and really liked it. For what you described, it will be perfect.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Yeah it sounds like a pedal commander is very necessary because until you get that turbo to spool, you can mash the pedal from a dead stop and it’s slow moving. Plug and play or bench flash tunes will adjust that as well. But as far as power for the size, it’s great.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The hemi makes more horsepower at the wheels than the ecod makes at the crank. 'Nuff said

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Too bad Chrysler didn't pick up the Cummins designed for the ram 1500.

I agree. My understanding is Chrysler and Cummins had something in the works around 2007 to bring to the 1500's. Then the financial collapse in 2008 shut that idea down. When FCA took over and few years later brought the idea back up, Cummins could not bring that engineering back online quick enough and sort out the newer emissions, so FCA went with the Ecodiesel motor. Nissan though would go on to benefit from this with those designs and engineering making it's way into the new and current Titan XD.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Work it like a truck, towing, hauling, carrying a full bed all the time and the torque will matter a lot more than the horsepower.

Not when we're comparing it to the HEMI. The HEMI has the same amount of TQ, and over double the horsepower. The TQ does not matter when we're talking about the same truck, with a cheaper engine in the same platform.

Having more at the wheels on the hemi than the SAME truck has at the crank, but identical TQ numbers. This isn't even a debate. There is literally no benefit to owning the EcoD other than preference. And to each his own. However; when you start comparing actual facts, it's the same truck you own, but with half the power. Period.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, where's my smiley face eating popcorn emoji? I'm following this thread just for the fun of it!

TXCOMT

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not when we're comparing it to the HEMI. The HEMI has the same amount of TQ, and over double the horsepower. The TQ does not matter when we're talking about the same truck, with a cheaper engine in the same platform.

Having more at the wheels on the hemi than the SAME truck has at the crank, but identical TQ numbers. This isn't even a debate. There is literally no benefit to owning the EcoD other than preference. And to each his own. However; when you start comparing actual facts, it's the same truck you own, but with half the power. Period.

Yeah but it makes the same torque as the hemi at 2000rpm which is a lot quieter and easier to listen to if you are running for hours straight in hilly country.