Need Advice - 18 Laramie/3.0-Liter V6 EcoDiesel Engine - Enough Power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not when we're comparing it to the HEMI. The HEMI has the same amount of TQ, and over double the horsepower. The TQ does not matter when we're talking about the same truck, with a cheaper engine in the same platform.

Torque always matters...when it's made makes a huge difference
Unfortunately the Hemi is not some magical engine, it's a marketing name.
This forum has a bunch of Hemi biased individuals that all have the same view of of their ****** lining.

You forgot the EcoD blows the doors off a Hemi in the fuel economy department

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought my 2014 big horn 4x4 crew can ram last month. I drive 3 miles one way to work. Round trip I’m getting less than 10 miles per gallon. On a 700 mile round trip road trip a few weeks ago thru the desert to the lake from Southern California I averaged 15.4 miles per gallon. I have the 8 speed. 35x12.5x20 tires and 20x9 pro comp rims. Not gonna lie the hemi really sucks for gas mileage. Power is great. Sound is awesome. Only area I wish was better was the MPG. The same engine and trans combo in my wife’s Durango gets 11 mpg city but that same highway trip it gets about 22 miles per gallon. I was hoping for that in the ram but oh well. At least it sounds cool and I only drive 3 miles to work!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Remember the truck is about as aerodynamic as a haydock block. And 2000# heavier. Plus it's a Truck...
I just bought my 2014 big horn 4x4 crew can ram last month. I drive 3 miles one way to work. Round trip I’m getting less than 10 miles per gallon. On a 700 mile round trip road trip a few weeks ago thru the desert to the lake from Southern California I averaged 15.4 miles per gallon. I have the 8 speed. 35x12.5x20 tires and 20x9 pro comp rims. Not gonna lie the hemi really sucks for gas mileage. Power is great. Sound is awesome. Only area I wish was better was the MPG. The same engine and trans combo in my wife’s Durango gets 11 mpg city but that same highway trip it gets about 22 miles per gallon. I was hoping for that in the ram but oh well. At least it sounds cool and I only drive 3 miles to work!

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember the truck is about as aerodynamic as a haydock block. And 2000# heavier. Plus it's a Truck...

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

Haha yea I don’t mind. Our two vehicles consist of two hemi and almost 800 horsepower combined! But...if I were considering gas mileage more, I would def look into the diesel and a pedal commander which I have on my hemi Ram also. I’m sure it would feel fine for everyday traffic

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
What’s the superchips tuner add in HP to the hemi? Where as you can push the ecodiesel to add about 200hp or so, idk what all you can do with the hemi as I gave up caring once I sold mine. However, you tune/delete/mod the ecodiesel and you can get up to 30mpg. You mod a hemi and you’ll likely see 10mpg.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
When you do all that to the Eco you kill any warrenty, make the truck illegal emission wise and stress a motor that already has lowerend problems.

IMO , just my opinion but you buy the Eco for the better fuel mileage and for more power than the V6 Penstar.
You buy the Hemi for the quick power good pulling and the sound not so much for mileage.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree. My understanding is Chrysler and Cummins had something in the works around 2007 to bring to the 1500's. Then the financial collapse in 2008 shut that idea down. When FCA took over and few years later brought the idea back up, Cummins could not bring that engineering back online quick enough and sort out the newer emissions, so FCA went with the Ecodiesel motor. Nissan though would go on to benefit from this with those designs and engineering making it's way into the new and current Titan XD.

Fiat owning a big chunk of VM motors had a lot to do with which diesel was chosen also.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Yeah it sounds like a pedal commander is very necessary because until you get that turbo to spool, you can mash the pedal from a dead stop and it’s slow moving. Plug and play or bench flash tunes will adjust that as well. But as far as power for the size, it’s great.

I have a pedal commander on sport level +2

The turbo lag is still turbo lag, took a trip to so cal over the 4th.

Went to the san diego zoo and uss midway, driving on streets your not aware of - merging with traffic with streets and exits/entrance distances your not aware of. Kinda exposes how bad the turbo lag is!

I had 1 scary close miss, a box truck locked up squeeling its brakes due to the merging on ramp being so short and me having major turbo lag from like 35 mph flooring it..... He was probably 1 block out - nice easy normal merge if i didnt have to deal with that 1-2 second turbo lag ahhhhhhhh..........

Same thing when your in the middle of intersection waiting to turn and all of sudden its yellow/red and everyone waiting for you to finish your turn, you try to time perfectly after the last car passes and it feels like a FUKN ETERNITY before your turbo lag kicks in and vroom off you go.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hemi makes more horsepower at the wheels than the ecod makes at the crank. 'Nuff said

But the diesel makes more usable TORQUE.

High horsepower is great for high speeds, but torque is what gets you moving when you hit the gas at a stoplight.

As Carroll Shelby famously said, "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Fiat owning a big chunk of VM motors had a lot to do with which diesel was chosen also.

No doubt but they really had no other choice at the time. Had Cummins had something that was turn key for them, the economics of buying from Cummins would have been more favorable than importing an engine made in Italy to be installed in America.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
But the diesel makes more usable TORQUE.

High horsepower is great for high speeds, but torque is what gets you moving when you hit the gas at a stoplight.

As Carroll Shelby famously said, "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

The Hemis torque is plenty usable it gets to its torque band plenty quick,it kinda shows this by how much quicker and faster it is at all speeds over the Eco. You know that winning races kinda torque. :)

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned both. Stayed with the hemi.

The ONLY advantage the eco diesel has over the hemi is fuel economy. And that is subject to fuel prices driving habits.

The turbo lag is ridiculous, and a pedal commander will not fix it. That's not how turbo lag works.

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The underlined, bolded sentence is why your fuel economy on that trip was so bad. We essentially have the same truck, and on a long trip like that I would easily see 19.5 - 20.5 mpg.

Mopar man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The underlined, bolded sentence is why your fuel economy on that trip was so bad. We essentially have the same truck, and on a long trip like that I would easily see 19.5 - 20.5 mpg.
Yep I know those tires play a big role with my mpg and that’s fine with me. You would not see that kind of mpg though. Too many big hills to climb. On the flat sections I would get 19-20

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Hemis torque is plenty usable it gets to its torque band plenty quick,it kinda shows this by how much quicker and faster it is at all speeds over the Eco.

420 lb/ft at 2000RPM is different from 410 lb/ft at 3950RPM, this becomes apparent when hauling and towing. You don't need to rev the **** out of the engine in order to get peak torque with the diesel, it's down low where you can use it right away.

If you use the truck for work, if you haul a lot, if you do a lot of highway driving while towing a trailer, that's where the diesel is really going to shine in the form of increased fuel mileage. If you do those things just occasionally get Hemi. If your truck spends 99% of its life as a daily commuter the Pentastar will do the job just fine, after all it's still 300hp... which is what the largest V8s in pickups were offering just ten short years ago.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
420 lb/ft at 2000RPM is different from 410 lb/ft at 3950RPM, this becomes apparent when hauling and towing. You don't need to rev the **** out of the engine in order to get peak torque with the diesel, it's down low where you can use it right away.

If you use the truck for work, if you haul a lot, if you do a lot of highway driving while towing a trailer, that's where the diesel is really going to shine in the form of increased fuel mileage. If you do those things just occasionally get Hemi. If your truck spends 99% of its life as a daily commuter the Pentastar will do the job just fine, after all it's still 300hp... which is what the largest V8s in pickups were offering just ten short years ago.

I have had diesels in the past and know how they apply torque.
Using the Hemi for pulling the same load as the Eco does not require reving the **** out of it to do the job easier than the Eco , you still need horse power and with close to double the HP and equal torque Hemi wins every time .
The only thing is the fuel mileage is going to be the major factor and ofcourse the Eco wins in that department.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So you're basically just agreeing with what the consensus is. The ECOD has better gas mileage. Revving the engine up to 3900RMP does one thing on the hemi... use more gas. It's not even much more gas even. That's not the discussion though, the discussion was that it's not a " better " motor for anything, contrary to what some of you want it to be. Again, putting 7k behind an ECOD and 7k behind HEMI means the hemi will pull away from the line, and get to the end of the track quicker, in fact.... much quicker. This is a fact. your argument that it has to work harder is moot, the end goal is the same, the hemi does it faster, and with more power. As already outlined.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, putting 7k behind an ECOD and 7k behind HEMI means the hemi will pull away from the line, and get to the end of the track quicker, in fact.... much quicker. This is a fact. your argument that it has to work harder is moot, the end goal is the same, the hemi does it faster, and with more power. As already outlined.

Do you drag race with a trailer often?

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you drag race with a trailer often?

No, but I know how math works. Are you following the conversation to understand the context in what i'm saying exists? It's absolutely imperative that you use common sense to understand the context in conversations and situations. Without knowing what context clues are you will make horrible choices in life. Please, please, please learn them, it's imperative you know what they are!

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go sit in a hemi and an eco and pull 7k through the mountains for a couple days straight and see which you prefer listening to for hours on end, a screaming 4000 rpm hemi or a relatively quiet 2000 rpm eco?