Need advice on rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gldwing57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 1982 SWB D 150. I purchased the truck originally just because someone had put a 68, 340 and built 727 tranny in it years ago.
The body is in fairly good condition and after it setting for 18 years I have it running again. After driving the truck I was dismayed that it has a hi gear single traction rear gear. I cant find axle ratio and have not pulled cover to find what the gear is as of yet. It is a 12 bolt and was originally straight drive truck.

So after saying all of that I would like to find a 3:90, 4:10 posi or limited slip rear end to fit. Can anyone tell me what to look for. Obviously Id like to find a complete rear end to install; but will weigh my options. Any help is appreciated.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
9.25 with 3.23 gears. very common for 89 and older trucks that don't have overdrive. i don't think any 1st gens came with 3.90 or 4.10's unless they were special order but usually you would only find them in something like a dana 60 in a work truck. 3.55's were the more commonly used on trucks with auto overdrive but. as far s getting a limited slip goes you take a chance buying 1 used especially with 82. i think in 84 or 85 they changed bolt pattern so it would probably require you opening up the axle to swap axle shafts unless you want to convert to the newer bolt pattern. pretty much you may be better off to rebuild your axle to how you like.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mopar.jpg If your bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5, which based on Crazzywolfies response it likely is, any rear end from 1972 and newer will bolt up no mods. the 'best' rear end to look for is the banjo housing or 8 3/4 rear end. but watch out, older mopar sure grips are non rebuildable and if they're worn, they are about as good as your current open diff. the post-74 8 1/4 rear ends are pretty good for street use. I believe they may be rebuildable. either way, I think any rear end you find will need a rebuild. so as mentioned above, rebuilding yours may be the most cost effective. If you do go that route, look into the Eaton tru-trac. I'd say for every day on road driving, best LSD you can buy with no need for rebuild and no LSD additive.

see if the attachment helps you ID your rearend.View attachment 155547

OP
OP
G

Gldwing57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help guys. The info you supplied gives me good direction. From what reek sent my current gear is 9 1/4 . All this info is so helpful.

Thanks again.