Need help. Axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelgraynorman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so here is the deal. I was driving the other day I I felt something weird maybe even a pop. And my ram started vibrating in the rear end. Checked my tires and one was separated had a hump. So I replaced the tire. But I'm still having a horrible vibration that one second is smooth riding. Then it will vibrate real hard for about 30 seconds then smooth again and so forth. I have had the tires rebalanced still exactly the same vibration. Also I noticed when getting on the highway the road curved and as I was getting on the highway it felt like the rear was loose. I've always had an issue that the dealer called axle roll. When I come to a stop and then give it gas to move it would be a small jolt in the rear end. Now it's more pronounced and harder. Could the intermittent vibration be coming from the rear axle.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Check and see if the out of round wheel caused the balance weight on your drive shaft to get tossed off. Also, check the universal joint on both ends and if yours has a center support or slip joint check them too. This sounds a lot like a drive shaft issue.

Also, your dealer is full of crap, there is no such thing as axle roll unless there is something wrong with the way the axle is mounted, you have a big lift and the installer didn't rotate the pinion angle properly, or your are on very severe angles off road. Go find a good drive shaft and rear end shop and get your issues properly diagnosed. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the above suggestions don't find anything, Block the wheels, put it in N put the rear end up on jackstands. Then get under and push up/down on the rear of the driveshaft ..feeling for excessive freeplay. Run your hands around the tires again feeling for out-of-roundness. Lift up/down on each tire, or remove the rear wheels and lift up/down on the axles, to feel for excessive axle bearing freeplay. Probably wouldn't hurt to feel the front driveshaft bushing too (and center ..if your tk has one).

While you're under there, might as well check the front driveshaft too, and the CV's.

There's always a remote chance you ran over something or a large rock became dislodged from the tire too ..when you heard that 'pop'.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
are you jacked up or lowered ?
4 wheel drive ?

did a tire shop do your balance & rotation ?
did they use a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine ?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....did they use a Hunter Road Force Balance Machine?

ha ha ...now you're talking like me! I'm all for using those balancers.

I asked the shop guys at Walmart when the last time they had their balancer's calibrated and they looked at me funny ...they never recalled they were ever calibrated (or didn't know they needed to be). And they weren't new balancers either. LOL They had the largest weights you ever saw hammered on a particular set of pickup truck wheels (not Ram). Since that time, I have Walmart mount the tires, and put them in my truck and take them for Road Force Balancing... They cut the weights down like 1/5th of what Walmart had on them (that particular time).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
a year or 2 ago, i went to Hunter's site
at that time, most Dodge Dealerships had Hunter equipment, but ask the tire guy operating the machine about training, he was shown by the last tire guy, no formal training.

That is why i don't allow the dealership to do balancing or rotating
I use Discount Tire, they also have the Hunter Equipment & they are only about a mile as the crow flies from my place

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007