Lifter cam swap PARTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have been, however I read for days about pressure vs volume vs Hellcat. Making me dizzy lol. I had come up with a Hellcat pump as the winner but some feel the pressure is a bit high at rpm’s can a regular 5.7 spring go in and give you more volume than stock and not so high pressure? I have no idea if hellcat blocks are exactly the same as 5.7’s when dealing with internal oil pressure. Don’t want to spring leaks or anything.
Stick with the stock pump,it's more then adequate for a stock engine,especially if you crank the idle rpm up to 725/750. The cam lobes don't get any pressurized oil,they still rely on crank splash for lubrication,and you'll get more splash off the crank at idle with the higher idle rpm,then you will with a Kitties pump and stock idle rpm.
Plus a higher volumn pump just robs horsepower. Matt Fikac has probably more experience with the trucks and keeping them alive then most,and he's not reconmending the Hellcat pump,even on trucks that see 7,000+ rpm.
If you're stock pump is still building decent pressure it doesn't really need to be replaced,saving you some money.

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My stock pump seems normal pressure wise. Thoughts of replacement was just if I had lots of metal in the oil pan.

Can’t get ahold of MMX still. Must be busy folks.
I priced the cam and lifters here at the local dealer, no other bolts or gaskets. They are insane. Labor was $3000 alone, but it would be well north of $6000 to take it there. A used motor from salvage was $4250 with 151,000 kms on it lol.

I will have to phone Moes to get a kit price.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Matt Fikac has probably more experience with the trucks and keeping them alive then most,and he's not reconmending the Hellcat pump,even on trucks that see 7,000+ rpm.
If you're stock pump is still building decent pressure it doesn't really need to be replaced,saving you some money.

Ive seen that over and over again on HiPo rams. He knows his **** for sure.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ive seen that over and over again on HiPo rams. He knows his **** for sure.
He's put more trucks into the 9's / 10's and 11's then anybody else has,and he reconmends keeping the stock pump .The only time i'd consider the Hellcat pump is on a 6.4 swapped truck ,with the piston squirters ,that's using a stand alone external oil cooler to keep oil temps under control.
Hell even my remote dual filter set-up didn't require more oil pump volume to maintain stock pressures.It idled at 51/52 psi at 725 rpm,and ran down the road in the high 50's at anything over 1600 rpm

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My stock pump seems normal pressure wise. Thoughts of replacement was just if I had lots of metal in the oil pan.

Can’t get ahold of MMX still. Must be busy folks.
I priced the cam and lifters here at the local dealer, no other bolts or gaskets. They are insane. Labor was $3000 alone, but it would be well north of $6000 to take it there. A used motor from salvage was $4250 with 151,000 kms on it lol.

I will have to phone Moes to get a kit price.
If you're on facebook,join this group,sometimes you come across some good deals.It's Alberta based,but it's not far from Saskatoon to alot of Alberta.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's put more trucks into the 9's / 10's and 11's then anybody else has,and he reconmends keeping the stock pump .The only time i'd consider the Hellcat pump is on a 6.4 swapped truck ,with the piston squirters ,that's using a stand alone external oil cooler to keep oil temps under control.
Hell even my remote dual filter set-up didn't require more oil pump volume to maintain stock pressures.It idled at 51/52 psi at 725 rpm,and ran down the road in the high 50's at anything over 1600 rpm

That's great information, now I want to learn how I can get the idle pressure that high on my truck.

I'll check in a day or two but could have sworn my idle pressure is in the 30s.

Am I mistaken?

I run my truck's EVIC in Metric and haven't memorized the entire range of the conversions from Kpa.

I keep a conversion schedule in the truck for my tire pressures, I believe it also covers the range of oil pressures I've observed.

Is there any chance that AlphaOBD could allow me to change tire & oil pressure to PSI while everything else remains metric?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's great information, now I want to learn how I can get the idle pressure that high on my truck.

I'll check in a day or two but could have sworn my idle pressure is in the 30s.

Am I mistaken?

I run my truck's EVIC in Metric and haven't memorized the entire range of the conversions from Kpa.

I keep a conversion schedule in the truck for my tire pressures, I believe it also covers the range of oil pressures I've observed.

Is there any chance that AlphaOBD could allow me to change tire & oil pressure to PSI while everything else remains metric?

I'm old,and i understand psi and farenheight engine/oil temps better then the metric versions,lol.Anything over about 30C,i'm mentally converting to farenheight, 185F i understand better then 85C ,so the evics in my vehicles are set to SAE.Plus Canada is still surveyed in miles and sections yet:waytogo:
All the dragstrips in Canada are still either an 1/8th mile or a 1/4 mile,and they give out mph on the timeslips :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm old,and i understand psi and farenheight engine/oil temps better then the metric versions,lol.Anything over about 30C,i'm mentally converting to farenheight, 185F i understand better then 85C ,so the evics in my vehicles are set to SAE.Plus Canada is still surveyed in miles and sections yet:waytogo:
All the dragstrips in Canada are still either an 1/8th mile or a 1/4 mile,and they give out mph on the timeslips :Big Laugh:

I was fortunate enough to have learned the metric system at a young age, when the metric system first started in Canada.

I used it for a school project.

I'm OK with most everything but pressure in Kpa. I can work with PSI or bar, but with Kpa, I need a chart or converter.

I understand that the higher trim levels allow you to set the pressure readings to PSI, even with the EVIC set to metric.

This makes me wonder if AlphaOBD might allow a tweak.

Good to hear about the dragstrips though. A 400 Metre strip sounds stupid. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was fortunate enough to have learned the metric system at a young age, when the metric system first started in Canada.

I used it for a school project.

I'm OK with most everything but pressure in Kpa. I can work with PSI or bar, but with Kpa, I need a chart or converter.

I understand that the higher trim levels allow you to set the pressure readings to PSI, even with the EVIC set to metric.

This makes me wonder if AlphaOBD might allow a tweak.

Good to hear about the dragstrips though. A 400 Metre strip sounds stupid. :cool:

I was 16 when Canada made the switch in 77 to the metric system,and in a farming community that still used the SAE system for another 20 years. Farms were measured in sections to denote farm sizes,and the majority of farm vehicles were still in miles and psi. Canada to this day is still surveyed in miles,none of the survey stakes have ever been relocated to a metric measure yet

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL, maybe the location makes the difference.

I was living in Ottawa, maybe we were corrupted sooner because AFAIR, my grade 5 or 6 project in '73 or '74 was on the Metric system.

I wonder if that was the intro phase (soft launch) before they dropped the Metric bomb. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I was living in Ottawa, maybe we were corrupted sooner because AFAIR, my grade 5 or 6 project in '73 or '74 was on the Metric system.

I wonder if that was the intro phase (soft launch) before they dropped the Metric bomb. :cool:

They started a soft roll out in the early 70's,but road signs and gasoline pumps didn't change until the later 70's.Farming communities didn't really change until the 80's,and to this day still use sections as a measure of farm sizes.Remember the Gimli Glider where the metric system switch over,damn near killed a plane load of people :rolleyes:

In 1972, the provinces agreed to make all road signs metric by 1977. During the Labour Day weekend in 1977, every speed limit sign in the country was changed from mph to km/h. From the same time every new car sold had to have a speedometer that showed speed in km/h and distance in km. The distances on road signs were changed to kilometres during the next few months. Gasoline pumps changed from imperial gallons to litres in 1979.[4][5]

Training on metric conversion was not universal. Poor metrication training was a contributing factor to Air Canada Flight 143, the so-called Gimli Glider, running out of fuel mid-flight on July 23, 1983.[10]

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

However, imperial measures still have legal definitions in Canada and can be used alongside metric units.

Canadians typically discuss the weather in degrees Celsius, purchase gasoline in litres, observe speed limits set in kilometres per hour (km/h), and read road signs and maps displaying distances in kilometres. Cars have metric speedometers and odometers, although most speedometers include smaller figures in miles per hour (mph). Fuel efficiency for new vehicles is published by Natural Resources Canada in litres per 100 kilometres, (not kilometres per litre as an analog of miles per gallon) and miles per (imperial) gallon.[13][14] Window stickers in dealer showrooms often include "miles per gallon" conversions. The railways of Canada such as the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific as well as commuter rail services, continue to measure their trackage in miles and speed limits in miles per hour (although urban railways including subways and light rail have adopted metres and kilometres for distances and kilometres per hour for speed limits).[15] Canadian railcars show weight figures in both imperial and metric. Canadian railways also maintain exclusive use of imperial measurements to describe train length and height in feet and train masses in short tons.

Canadians typically use a mix of metric and imperial measurements in their daily lives. One area where imperial measures continue to be used, despite official practice, is with respect to human height and weight. Newborns are measured in kilograms at hospitals, but the birth weight and length is also announced to family and friends in pounds, ounces, feet and inches. Although Canadian driver's licences give height in centimetres,[16][17]. Use of the imperial system also persist where influenced by US trade and manufacture. Most kitchen appliances in Canada are labelled with both degrees Celsius and Fahrenheit, and metric cooking measures are widely available; but Fahrenheit is often used for cooking due to the import of kitchen appliances from the United States. When it comes to measures for cooking, Canadians typically use a mix of both depending on the recipe and cook book - use a mix of grams, millilitres, cups, ounces and tablespoons, for example. Canadians also occasionally use Fahrenheit outside of the kitchen, such as when measuring the water temperature in a pool. Stationery and photographic prints are also sold in sizes based on inches and the most popular paper sizes, letter and legal, are sized in imperial units, though many agendas and notebooks are sold in ISO 216 sizes. Canadian football games continue to be played on fields measured in yards (with a gridiron layout with a length of 100.6 metres, or 110 yards, from one goal line to the other); golfers also expect courses to be measured in yards.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just asked the wife and she still cooks in Farenheight,and she says both her meat thermometers are in farenheight,lol

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They started a soft roll out in the early 70's,but road signs and gasoline pumps didn't change until the later 70's.Farming communities didn't really change until the 80's,and to this day still use sections as a measure of farm sizes.Remember the Gimli Glider where the metric system switch over,damn near killed a plane load of people :rolleyes:

In 1972, the provinces agreed to make all road signs metric by 1977. During the Labour Day weekend in 1977, every speed limit sign in the country was changed from mph to km/h. From the same time every new car sold had to have a speedometer that showed speed in km/h and distance in km. The distances on road signs were changed to kilometres during the next few months. Gasoline pumps changed from imperial gallons to litres in 1979.[4][5]

Training on metric conversion was not universal. Poor metrication training was a contributing factor to Air Canada Flight 143, the so-called Gimli Glider, running out of fuel mid-flight on July 23, 1983.[10]

I suppose it must have been at the intro stage when I did that project, because, it was new. Our entire environment was still completely imperial.

Wow, that Gimili Glider story is fantastic.

I can't imagine using a 767 as a glider and it sounds short-sighted that most of the instrumentation was reliant on power created from an operational engine.

Both engines will never fail at the same time so... if that were to occur, who needs the instrumentation to be functional???

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just asked the wife and she still cooks in Farenheight,and she says both her meat thermometers are in farenheight,lol

Me too.

And because most scuba gear was once made in the USA* or at least designed there, most divers on this side of the pond use imperial measurements.

* This is more specific to scuba gear bought & used in North America. Europe is mostly metric for scuba.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Me too.

And because most scuba gear was once made in the USA* or at least designed there, most divers on this side of the pond use imperial measurements.

* This is more specific to scuba gear bought & used in North America. Europe is mostly metric for scuba.

Saskatchewan might have the most lakes,but scuba diving doesn't seem to be all that big on the prairies,consequently i don't have any experience with scuba gear.So i'll take your word for it :Big Laugh:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saskatchewan might have the most lakes,but scuba diving doesn't seem to be all that big on the prairies,consequently i don't have any experience with scuba gear.So i'll take your word for it :Big Laugh:

Yup, the only thing Saskatchewan has for scuba, is being closer to BC for Cave diving and BC coastal diving with critters.

I once sold an underwater scooter to a guy near Winnipeg. I think he primarily dived in a quarry or travelled to BC. :cool:

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya Canada is odd for sure.
I like miles, yards, psi.
Can handle kms, meters, but despise kpa Cook in Fahrenheit, weather temps Celsius, but the wife sets the house in Fahrenheit. Lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is one of the few road signs i know of local to me,that still is in imperial and metric

Attachments

• IMG_4140 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_4140 (2)_LI.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 22