Lifter cam swap PARTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok so I am getting ready to change the lifters and cam on my truck. Is there a kit you guys would recommend for lifter and cams?

I feel if I put new Mopar parts in I may run into the same exact issues with the lifter failure.

Thoughts?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok so I am getting ready to change the lifters and cam on my truck. Is there a kit you guys would recommend for lifter and cams?

I feel if I put new Mopar parts in I may run into the same exact issues with the lifter failure.

Thoughts?
Your best bet is to ask who-ever you're planning on buying your cam off,give them your truck specs,including weight/gears/current and future mods/driving style and what you want out of the truck etc., then go with what they reconmend.
Matt Fikac at Moes
Ryan Hogan at FRP
MMX etc,are places to start

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Moe’s Performance now has a full kit. Gaskets to bolts. Its cheaper than FRP. Believe me I checked. I bought my kit off MMX and had to source additional parts to make it complete. Matt came out with the kit a week later…meh. My cam/lifters adventure starts Thursday night!

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following this as my truck is down at the moment. Cylinder 3. The VVT is clean. Trying to get a kit figured out. ( I am in Canada )
I had been looking at the MMX MDS lifter delete kit, not sure about the no tune cam upgrade claims. I sent questions to them a couple days ago but I better just phone.
Will look up FRP.

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s interesting how each company includes different things in the kits. Exhaust and valve cover gaskets in one, timing chain parts in the other. (MMX/FRP)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It’s interesting how each company includes different things in the kits. Exhaust and valve cover gaskets in one, timing chain parts in the other. (MMX/FRP)
Matt Fikac at Moes has one of the better kits available,as i think he's including pretty well everything needed to swap a cam in a Hemi.
Chris Zelinsky at Player 3 Performance Tuning in Edmonton is a TSP dealer,just don't use TSP's lifters,bite the bullet and buy the OEM lifters,they aren't cheap,but far better then having to jerk the heads off and re-do the lifters down the road

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Matt Fikac at Moes has one of the better kits available,as i think he's including pretty well everything needed to swap a cam in a Hemi.
Chris Zelinsky at Player 3 Performance Tuning in Edmonton is a TSP dealer,just don't use TSP's lifters,bite the bullet and buy the OEM lifters,they aren't cheap,but far better then having to jerk the heads off and re-do the lifters down the road
Yeah, Matt has the complete kit now. I should've waited a week…but he hooked me up with a bunch of extra stuff. I will send you some pics Rick

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, Matt has the complete kit now. I should've waited a week…but he hooked me up with a bunch of extra stuff. I will send you some pics Rick
Sounds good Craig. You could also post them on here to,that way other guys can see them to.

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been looking on Moe’s, have yet to see the full kit, but I could be blind ish. Lol
If my truck had less kms on it and was newer I would be more interested in a performance cam and full tune but I just want the darn thing to work for as long as possible. The transmission has never felt good for me, also need that to last too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have been looking on Moe’s, have yet to see the full kit, but I could be blind ish. Lol
If my truck had less kms on it and was newer I would be more interested in a performance cam and full tune but I just want the darn thing to work for as long as possible. The transmission has never felt good for me, also need that to last too.
Put a stock cam and lifters back in it then.If it's a high milege engine,you're better off using the stock stuff,also probably your cheapest option.
Canada's a big place,where are you located.

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put a stock cam and lifters back in it then.If it's a high milege engine,you're better off using the stock stuff,also probably your cheapest option.
Canada's a big place,where are you located.
Saskatoon

I don’t want the MDS in it at all.
Thinking about.

Non mds cam, I have the means to get it turned off.
Hellcat lifters, or the larger style bearing ones.
Maybe springs
MDS delete plugs
Going to throw in a new water pump.
Thought about oil pump but will see what the oil pan looks like.
I have replaced broken bolts on both exhaust manifold’s in the last 3 years, hope they won’t be trouble, but knowing my luck I will have to get out the welder again.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Saskatoon

I don’t want the MDS in it at all.
Thinking about.

Non mds cam, I have the means to get it turned off.
Hellcat lifters, or the larger style bearing ones.
Maybe springs
MDS delete plugs
Going to throw in a new water pump.
Thought about oil pump but will see what the oil pan looks like.
I have replaced broken bolts on both exhaust manifold’s in the last 3 years, hope they won’t be trouble, but knowing my luck I will have to get out the welder again.
Stock 5.7 and 6.4 cams for a 6 speed manual transmission Challenger are non-mds. Mds is not the issue,not sure where guys get that idea from.The non-mds lifters have as good chance of going south as the mds lifters do. All OEM non-mds lifters are what everybody calls the Hellcat lifters,have been for several years.There is no such thing as a Hellcat lifter these days.
If you have the means to turn off mds,that means you also have the ability to tune it,crank the idle rpm up to a mininium of 725 rpm,is the best thing you can do to help prolong the life of the cam.
If you do decide to go with a non-mds cam,get the solenoid plugs from your local dealer,don't buy the cheap ones off Amazon or Ebay,they have a rep of leaking oil past the o-rings.
If it's a high milege engine,it's also a good idea to replace the timing chain and tensioner.
Get prices from the online Mopar Canada page and see if your local dealer will match them,most dealers will come close to matching the online price.
If you're worried about the transmission,stick a stock cam back in it,odds are if the first cam made it this far,the replacement cam will outlive the truck,especially if you live in Toon town where they salt the crap outta the roads in the winter

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is the kit that was on my list. I will have to phone to see if the plugs are Mopar. My truck has an aftermarket muffler, stock y and cats, and I would like to run 5-30 oil, plus I hate the truck switching back and forth into MDS mode. Sounds bad lol. I’m glad you mentioned upping the idle rpm as I had that on my to do list as well. The upgraded cam in that link you sent from MMX, does it have anymore torque ? Not much online that I can find about it. I would think it’s overall not much more hp or torque than the stock cam since it’s no tune. This truck is used for towing and a daily driver, so a slight HP increase up top is only ok if I don’t lose some bottom. ( When in doubt I will just go stock non MDS. )
I assume the cam bearings are usually good to reuse in these hemis? That would let the engine stay in the chassis during rebuild?

SD2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I were going to the effort of a cam/lifter rebuild with MDS delete, I would seriously consider a Hellcat oil pump.

I have been, however I read for days about pressure vs volume vs Hellcat. Making me dizzy lol. I had come up with a Hellcat pump as the winner but some feel the pressure is a bit high at rpm’s can a regular 5.7 spring go in and give you more volume than stock and not so high pressure? I have no idea if hellcat blocks are exactly the same as 5.7’s when dealing with internal oil pressure. Don’t want to spring leaks or anything.