Need help! PCV and Condensation problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I’m stumped and don’t know what to do. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 4.7L v8. Last winter, my pcv valve froze and oil blew out through a bottom seal of the motor. Luckily, I cleaned out the pcv valve and it doesn’t leak oil anymore (just when the pressure had no where to go). BUT now my problem is continuous build up in the pcv valve. Every single time I drive my truck, I have to clean the valve out. (Has the yellowish sludge in it) and condensation on the oil fill cap. I don’t drive the truck short distances, I’ve changed the oil... it just keeps getting buildup. If I don’t clean it every time, it will freeze again and do the same thing next winter. Any one have any ideas at all? Coolant level and oil level never go down either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
First Dodge put the darn PVC valve in a stupid place.Should be on the valve cover.Have you checked to the hose going the PVC valve it could be about stopped up.Also check the filler cap it may not be sealing good.Get you a can of seafoam and run through that hose it sure aint going to hurt nothing .

OP
OP
BradDodge

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I poured a very small amount in it before... but not much. So maybe I’ll go get some more and pour it down there. Sucks cause I just did an oil change. Oil filler cap, I could try replacing the o-ring? If the hose isn’t backed up and it’s sealing tight, what else do you figure it could be? Darn dodge....
Thanks!

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What i'm thinking is moisture from the cold is freezing inside that tube and you living where it really gets cold.Heck we get two days of ice or snow we say it's bad.The biggest thing from people in the south is they think you can go 70 mile and hour on ice look at meee.

OP
OP
BradDodge

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, but this has been happening since last winter. So yes, I’m in Ontario Canada, where it gets cold... but it’s been hot this summer and I clean it after EVERY trip in it. If I leave it for maybe... 5 trips without cleaning it?.. it gets really bad.

OP
OP
BradDodge

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, I put cardboard in the grill and completely block off cold air from getting to the motor. Helps.. but I’m wondering why it’s still happening. All the moisture should be out by now.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you put a catch can on the 4.7? That would trap the moisture before it got to the pvc valve. Also what oil are you running? Some oils seem to be more prone to this than others.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BradDodge

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the first time today I was actually looking into catch cans. I’m sure I could rig something up? Truck calls for 5w30, so I’m just using that, with either Penzoil or Quaker state. Conventional.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
had an issue with condensation in my oil on my motorcycle. here some things i learned while troubleshooting it.

condensation is formed due to lack of air flow through the crank case either by a clogged air filter or bad PCV valve.

a stuck closed PCV will also raise crank case PSI causing oil to weep in various places.

might be looking at a new air filter or PCV.

my 2cents

OP
OP
BradDodge

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so I’ve changed the air filter, and I’ve changed the pcv valve itself. I appreciate the feedback though. Hmmm... what else could it be.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
head gasket, intake manifold cracked, intake gasket, bad hoses or other various vacuum leaks that interrupt vapor flow, cheap pcv replacement. just spit ballin here.

on my bike, after replacing air filter i had to change my oil like 5 times before the moisture completely dissipated.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked you're thermostat?

OP
OP
BradDodge

BradDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so the intake might be the next step then. Pretty sure the hoses are ok but I could go over them again. I’ve heard about the head gasket story before, but it’s more yellowish than whitish, and my coolant level never changes.

Ramnewbie, what effect would the thermostat have on what’s going on?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a check engine like that kept blowing my mind reader kept telling idle higher than normal.Sprayed this and tighten that got me a evap smoker.Guess where my leak was right at the pvc valve.That darn hose I know this doesn't pertain to your problem but maybe it does it could be a small leak.Also have you had the valve covers off and see if you might be sludge up too.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also Quaker State use to be the worst oil to gum up a engine you would not believe what a valve cover looked like underneath.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
^^^This, that does sound plausible, having a sludge issue would cause a pcv to clog constantly.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so the intake might be the next step then. Pretty sure the hoses are ok but I could go over them again. I’ve heard about the head gasket story before, but it’s more yellowish than whitish, and my coolant level never changes.

Ramnewbie, what effect would the thermostat have on what’s going on?
Engine not getting hot enough to boil off condensation. You said you completely blocked off radiator with cardboard. I don't know how cold it gets up there but I've never seen a radiator on a gasser completely blocked off.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Engine not getting hot enough to boil off condensation. You said you completely blocked off radiator with cardboard. I don't know how cold it gets up there but I've never seen a radiator on a gasser completely blocked off.

AT 30*f below you would.

Had a cabin in northern Quebec and it got down to -40 or more sometimes. That’s when you have to keep any engine operated anything inside.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hell, I get cold at 20° F.

It’s a different kind of cold that far north, next to no humidity. It doesn’t go right through you like the cold where I’m at now.