Need help: proper Tuner for 2018 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
I want a tuner for my 2018 RAM 1500 5.7. Looks like DiabloSport is the only one offering an ECM and fully fledged tuner.

1.) Are there any other PROPER tuners for 2018s?

2.) What will it take for me (not a shop or tuner) to disable that damn cylinder deactivation? Will I be able to make these changes in a file and upload everything?

3.) Will I be able to change the shift patterns of the trans?

4.) Where can I find the best canned maps for a muffler delete (cat and resonator still in place) and an intake (haven't decided yet)?

5.) What else can I change? Would love to turn off the door chime and other stuff.

6.) Should I go InTune i3 or Trinity 2?

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I want a tuner for my 2018 RAM 1500 5.7. Looks like DiabloSport is the only one offering an ECM and fully fledged tuner.

2.) What will it take for me (not a shop or tuner) to disable that damn cylinder deactivation? Will I be able to make these changes in a file and upload everything?

4.) Where can I find the best canned maps for a muffler delete (cat and resonator still in place) and an intake (haven't decided yet)?

5.) What else can I change? Would love to turn off the door chime and other stuff.

6.) Should I go InTune i3 or Trinity 2?
I have the i3 and diablos pcm and it will cover what you want. If you want a constant display, play with 1/4 times etc, get the trinity. For custom tunes I'm using hemifever.com, Sean is great to work with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
I have the i3 and diablos pcm and it will cover what you want. If you want a constant display, play with 1/4 times etc, get the trinity. For custom tunes I'm using hemifever.com, Sean is great to work with.

I think the domain http://hemifever.com/ was sold or something. Those links on that page only lead to different affiliated shops.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to do it, also consider HP tuners.
I don't know if hemifever does programs for HP tuners, but I am pretty sure Jay Greene does if you want another person to send you tunes.

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My bad fellers! It will not post the link as url...

hemi fever tuning (All one word and dot com)

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s a YouTube video on turning off your seat belt chime. It’s easy.
Thanks for reminding me I have one. A seatbelt that is.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think the domain http://hemifever.com/ was sold or something. Those links on that page only lead to different affiliated shops.

Forget that link imbedded in the text and use this one:

https://www.hemifevertuning.com/Default.asp

My input on your questions:

1. Not sure what you mean by "proper" but I've tuned several of my own vehicles using Diablosport programmers and have realized excellent results. You so need a PCM to go with the programmer. Also, make sure that you get a programmer that will accept custom (CMR) tunes.

2. I am not sure if the current generation of Diablosport programmers provide the user an option to turn off MDS. When I got my custom tune from Hemifever (Sean) I asked him specifically to turn off MDS.

3. Shift patterns for the transmission will be enhanced by the base tunes. You can also set WOT shift points with the programmer.

4. The program will take into account additional air in and air out. Once you do those mods I'd have an update done to any custom tune you purchase. Or, wait on the custom tune until you install those mods so the tuner can optimize the custom tune based on real world conditions.

5. There are other user options, such as tire sizes and such, but for an entire list talk to one of the tuners, such as Hemifever.

6. The I3 does the job if you don't want a real time monitor and gauge package. If you want to mount a monitor and watch the engine operating parameters of your choice, get the Trinity.

Several vendors here offer a total package of programmer, PCM & custom tunes.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Thanks so much for all the info, really appreciate it.

1.) So which tuner is "better" and offers more parameters to be adjusted, HP or Diablo?

2.) Do you guys use the stock PCM or a spare?

3.) How does the actual tuning with HP work? I send them my files, tell them about my mods, and they email me tuned files? Is this going back and forth several times until log files look good?

4.) What vendors here offers the "best" total package of programmer, PCM & custom tunes?

PS: @ramdriver2018 did that mod, I'm talking about the open door chime.

The A8 going into park when driving with open door is another crap shot I would like to disable.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

YES, DIABLO & HP

DIABLO CANNED OR CUSTOM TUNE, HP, OR JUST USE THE GEAR SELECTOR ON THE STEERING WHEEL FOR FREE. SELECT 8 & IT WILL STILL SHIFT NORMAL & WILL KEEP IT OUT OF MDS

YUP

DIABLO IS THE ONLY 1 OUT OF DIABLO OR HP THAT OFFERS CANNED TUNES BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SKIPPING A CANNED TUNE & GOING STRAIGHT TO A CUSTOM TUNE FROM JAY GREENE OR MATT BROWN.

ALOT CAN BE CHANGED IN THE MOTOR & TRANS. DOOR CHIME DOESN'T FALL UNDER THAT.

6.) Should I go InTune i3 or Trinity 2?[/QUOTE]

WHATEVER YOU WANT. THE I3 IS BASIC, CHEAPER & GETS THE JOB DONE. THE TRINITY HAS ALOT OF NIFTY MOSTLY ACCURATE FEATURE BUT IS MORE EXPENSIVE.

Last edited:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much for all the info, really appreciate it.

1.) So which tuner is "better" and offers more parameters to be adjusted, HP or Diablo?

HP OFFERS MORE IN THE MOTOR & TRANS TO BE ADJUSTED, ALTHOUGH AS OF LATE JAY GREENE HAS PUT SOME PRESSURE ON DIABLO TO OFFER MORE PARAMETERS LIKE HP HAS & WITHIN THE LAST MONTH OR SO THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON A FEW THINGS SUCH HAS SHORT SHIFTING 2ND TO 3RD(ONLY HAPPENS TO PEOPLE THAT RACE ON THE DRAGSTRIP), NOT NECESSARILY A PROBLEM ON THE STREET & TQ CONVERTER LOCK UP.

2.) Do you guys use the stock PCM or a spare?

MOST KEEP THEIR STOCK AS A SPARE & GET THE EXTRA PCM FROM DIABLO. JUST DEPENDS ON YOUR BUDGET & IF YOUR CONCERNED WITH POSSIBLE FUTURE WARRANTY WORK.

3.) How does the actual tuning with HP work? I send them my files, tell them about my mods, and they email me tuned files? Is this going back and forth several times until log files look good?

YUP. AGAIN CONTACT JAY GREENE(GREENE RACING) OR MATT BROWN(DEMON MOTORSPORTS).

4.) What vendors here offers the "best" total package of programmer, PCM & custom tunes?

MOES PERFORMANCE. MOES ONLY OFFERS A CUSTOM TUNE THROUGH HEMIFEVER THOUGH. ITS UP TO YOU WHO YOU CHOOSE TO GO CUSTOM TUNING WITH. CONTACT EACH I HAVE LISTED, TALK TO THEM PROFESSIONALLY & PERSONALLY & SEE WHO YOU WANT TO TUNE THE TRUCK.

PS: @ramdriver2018 did that mod, I'm talking about the open door chime.

The A8 going into park when driving with open door is another crap shot I would like to disable.[/QUOTE]

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is also the pulsar unit. Which by all means is no custom tune, but for a decent price can give you some fun. Moes performance “ who is a vendor on here” sells tuners with custom running available, kinda like a 1 stop shop.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
I'll go with HP, simply based on having more adjustable parameters. At some point I'll throw a Whipple 2.9 at it.

So far I have this parts list put together. Please let me know if I'm missing anything:

1.) Used 2018 RAM 1500 PCM from eBay for $113

2.) Dodge PCM Modification Service from HP for $249

3.) HP MPVI2 tuner with pro features for internal logging without laptop for $549.98

4.) HP Dodge Smart Access Cable needed for 2018 and newer, for $89

5.) Licensing the PCM for 2 credits, for $98

6.) S&B Intake for $299

7.) Custom Tune from JAY GREENE (GREENE RACING) OR MATT BROWN (DEMON MOTORSPORTS). How much do they charge?

Total without the custom tune: $1,397.98

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is also the pulsar unit. Which by all means is no custom tune, but for a decent price can give you some fun. Moes performance “ who is a vendor on here” sells tuners with custom running available, kinda like a 1 stop shop.
I had two pulsars for my 16 rebel, neither worked for me. I ended up with the I3 tuner. There where some other guys with the same year that worked for them....who knows.
[emoji2957]

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi guys can you please tell me who is H.P. tuner or tuners a new one on me thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
hi guys can you please tell me who is H.P. tuner or tuners a new one on me thanks

HP tuners is a tuning platform.It's a software based program,it's not actually a tune onto itself.It's what you or your tuner use to set the variable tuning parameters that are available to be tuned.Alot of tuners are starting to use the HP tuning software,as it's noticeably cheaper then Diablo's CMR tuning software,and usually gives more access to tune-able parameters compared to Diablo's CMR software.As such if you buy the software,and the credits needed to tune your vehicle,it'll allow you to tune your vehicle yourself,but i'd highly recommend approaching a tuner who is familiar with tuning.It doesn't come with a set of canned tunes like a Diablo tuner does.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you wild one good explanation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01