Need options, any suggestions welcome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 65rfe which is definitely on its way out right now and I'm looking for my best option as to fixing/replacing it. I know this question has been asked a few times, but maybe someone on here has some new info I haven't been able to find yet.

What are my options as to upgrading/rebuilding the current transmission

or

what other 6-speeds will play nice with the stock pcm in the truck?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rfe transmissions have been built for almost 20 years now, they're abundant. Toss a rebuilt or a low mile used in there, stay on top of maintenance and enjoy.

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Give hellraiser performance a call. Best mopar tranny shop there is.
Checking out their website and they look promising, although they're sold out of their 65rfe's right now. Wonder if I could send them a core and just have them build that instead.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
No I do not, but by today's newer trannys the seem cheap. A good transmission shop in your local area, may be your best bet but get a whole bunch of recommendations first.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
rfes are great, especially the 6 speed, if you fix the weaknesses, must watch tv the next two video's. I don't endorse any brand, this is just a jumping off point. I think the only things these don't cover is shifter linkage doohikie (sometimes fail for lack of cotter pin), metal thread upgrades, synthetic filter options, pan with drain plug, and fluid choice.

Valve body and tune for pressure are really important, the entire enchilada (pistons, seals, springs, plate, solenoid, and every moving part, there are many kits out there) With tune this should be under 2 g's.

But then you have your transmission. If you just choose a upgraded transmission such as a stage 3, just look at how they are built and use those two video's to verify weaknesses were addressed and they have a warranty. I would take an upgraded rfe rather then one of the new 8 speeds, ley work being upgraded.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Not sure what to think when these are not in stock.....I mean no one

Simpsj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what to think when these are not in stock.....I mean no one
I emailed them and Charles said they have plenty of cores. This is his response

We have a Stage 1 Build that can handle 600+. Its got a highly modified valve body and upgraded frictions and input drum. They retail for $3800. We have cores available. The only thing you would have to transfer is your extension housing from your unit to ours if you wish to do a core exchange. The core exchange is just $400 which is refunded when we receive your old core. And, shipping is just a flat fee of $150 each way for pickup and drop off. Once installed. We highly recommend tuning the TCM and increasing the line pressures to 225 PSI.

So $4200 for trans plus 150 shipping and I guess youd get $250 back for returning core. So the core charge is almost a non factor IMO.

I dont know of anyone that has a hellraiser rfe, but same thing with the new paramount trans that Joey aka KUSTOMBLACKGunz talks about. But they want twice as much I believe. Its not listed on their website at all. Apparantly paramount made the 545 or 65 in past that didnt work, but they have a new version that supposedly holds power. From Watching KUSTOMBLACKGunz videos he plans on getting one and reviewing on his channel.

My 65 works great, but reading up and trying to understand options for when and if it does break. Right now I just mainly have bolt ons and tune. Probably adding a torque converter soon and then a cam in future. Personally I'd love to switch to the 8 speed, but Im guessing it probably be around 10k to do that. It is a guess but alot of parts have to be chaged out just to get it in.

I emailed Sound German and his response was

I offer a control unit and harness for running the 8 speed for 1000.00.
Besides the transmission you will need the factory shifter. Beyond that you will need whatever parts ie flywheel crossmember. Driveshaft etc. to install it in your truck.

Hellraiser is a vender for Sound German. Ive thought about emailing hellraiser again, but seeing that I'll probably not have the kind of money needed dont want to waste his time.