Need some help on getting the best deal on a new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
guess what boys and girls, the truck i got 53 to 35k

dealer just listed them at 33k fml, and its the first week of the month

thats 20k off or what 37%+ now

dont buy a used preowned right meow until they run outta 17 and 18's

my local dealer cant keep 19 on the lot

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
guess what boys and girls, the truck i got 53 to 35k

dealer just listed them at 33k fml, and its the first week of the month

thats 20k off or what 37%+ now

dont buy a used preowned right meow until they run outta 17 and 18's

my local dealer cant keep 19 on the lot

Now THAT"S a good deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find the package you want (or close) then search the lots within driving range you're comfortable with. Be willing to compromise on color/equipment a little. Searches will tell you how long that vehicle has been on the lot, go for the LONGEST sitting vehicles. (Mine sat for 18 months!) They'll be much more willing to deal on those. GO ON THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH. They say that doesn't matter but it DOES. April 30 may be the end of a quarter for some as well, even better.

And like the other poster said, BE WILLING TO WALK IF YOU DONT GET THE DEAL YOU WANT. It isn't like you're buying the last Ram in existance. There's plenty out there. You'll get your deal IF you persist.

And go with NEW. 9 times out of 10 you will get as good a deal or better, why play around with someone else's used truck when there are hoardes of NEW ones out there?

Last edited:

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a new 2018. If you're not getting the truck at or below dealer invoice, minus incentives and rebates, you're overpaying. What this recently meant for me was I bought a 48k MSRP truck, dealer invoice was about 44500, then manufacturer incentives took off another 5500. These incentives can vary from week to week etc.

Keep in mind, I had to call and communicate with about 5 dealers to find one that was happy to do this deal. Some guys flat out told me "we're not in a position right now to do this". Most dealers will match other dealer's offer though if you'd rather work with a particular dealer, but don't love their pricing.

incupunk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm seeing dealerships making good markdowns on the 2018's. I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2018 CC with the short bed. Sticker was around $48k but it was on sale for $33,900. It's got factory fender flares, Katskin's leather, floor console, 8.4" display with NAV, heated seats and steering wheel, step rails, spray in bedliner and tonneau cover.

View attachment 124545

View attachment 124546

View attachment 124547
Man that is a beautiful truck!

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm seeing dealerships making good markdowns on the 2018's. I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2018 CC with the short bed. Sticker was around $48k but it was on sale for $33,900. It's got factory fender flares, Katskin's leather, floor console, 8.4" display with NAV, heated seats and steering wheel, step rails, spray in bedliner and tonneau cover.

I don't necessarily not believe you, but something isn't adding up here. I've spent a TON of time looking at and pricing 2018's and it seems pretty impossible to get all that in a truck for $48k MSRP. For comparison, I just bought a 2018 Big Horn Crew Cab with upgrades of:

• Heated seats and wheel group
  • Rambox
  • HEMI
  • Rubber floor mats
  • 3.92 rear end
  • Limited slip differential
  • Trailer brake control
  • Locking lug nuts
For.... MSRP $48,145

You're saying you somehow got these upgrades:
  • Step rails (+ $695)
  • Spray in bedliner (+ $495)
  • Katskin's leather (unknown)
  • Tonneau cover (+ $595)
  • Fender flares (unknown)
  • 8.4 display with Nav (+ $795)
  • Extended floor console (unknown)
  • Heated seats and wheel group (+ $545)
It seems *impossible* that what you describe would come in at a $48k MSRP. I'm not disputing the deal you got, just that you're describing what seems like a $50k+ MSRP truck, for sure.

Edit: I see from your pictures that it's a HEMI powertrain, which makes this even more improbable.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't necessarily not believe you, but something isn't adding up here. I've spent a TON of time looking at and pricing 2018's and it seems pretty impossible to get all that in a truck for $48k MSRP. For comparison, I just bought a 2018 Big Horn Crew Cab with upgrades of:

• Rambox
  • HEMI
  • Rubber floor mats
  • 3.92 rear end
  • Trailer brake control
  • Locking lug nuts
For.... MSRP $48,145

• Step rails (+ $695)
  • Tonneau cover (+ $595)
You don't say what trim package you got or powertrain, but it seems *impossible* that what you describe would come in at a $48k MSRP. I'm not disputing the deal you got, just that you're describing what seems like a $50k+ MSRP truck, for sure.

Edit: I see from your pictures that it's a HEMI powertrain, which makes this even more improbable.
MSRP seems in line. You can build that Harvest Edition equipped the same way, minus the katzkins, on the ram site right now for 46,000.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
MSRP seems in line. You can build that Harvest Edition equipped the same way, minus the katzkins, on the ram site right now for 46,000.

You're totally correct. Damn, now I'm trying to figure out why the Harvest is so much less and seems to offer so much more than the Big Horn. Side steps and bedliner, 8.4 *with Nav* standard, etc.

wartemand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel h/o
I don't know where you are located. But look up Dennis Dillon ram. It was worth it for me to drive almost 800 miles to get my truck.

20180331_141240.jpg

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't know where you are located. But look up Dennis Dillon ram. It was worth it for me to drive almost 800 miles to get my truck.

View attachment 125130

Same traffic for Dave Smith. I got a screaming deal on my 2018 PW a little over a month ago. It’s loaded to the gills so they had a lot to work with but I left very happy.3dbf3b9a76106c5f506649d3224e3266.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikesram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

• Rambox
  • HEMI
  • Rubber floor mats
  • 3.92 rear end
  • Trailer brake control
  • Locking lug nuts
For.... MSRP $48,145

• Step rails (+ $695)
  • Tonneau cover (+ $595)
It seems *impossible* that what you describe would come in at a $48k MSRP. I'm not disputing the deal you got, just that you're describing what seems like a $50k+ MSRP truck, for sure.

Yes sir, I'm telling 100% truth. It's a Harvest Edition, which comes standard with the factory spray in bedliner, side step rails, heated seats and steering, floor console, 8.4 NAV, upgraded instrument cluster, rear bumper step for getting in the bed, mine also has the limited slip diff and rubber floor mats. MSRP on the sticker was $46,260. Then it has dealer installed Katskin leather interior, and Mopar trifold tonneau cover, which the dealer messed up and forgot to charge me for those. Win for me! :) So adding those in puts the sticker around $48k. And yes with all the factory rebates and dealer discounts, the truck was in fact on sale for $33,900. And yes, it has the 5.7L Hemi too. I've never found a deal this sweet before so I'm just excited that it played out to my advantage!

Last edited:

mikesram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're totally correct. Damn, now I'm trying to figure out why the Harvest is so much less and seems to offer so much more than the Big Horn. Side steps and bedliner, 8.4 *with Nav* standard, etc.
From what I've heard and read, Ram wanted to pay tribute to America's farmers and agricultural workers by giving them a functional truck with a lot of nice options at an affordable price. Pretty cool truck! I absolutely love it. Also has a lift from the factory so height is the same as a 4x4 stance. A friend of mine has a 2018 Sport 4x4 with the Night package and my 2wd Harvest sits at the same height as his. :)

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've never found a deal this sweet before so I'm just excited that it played out to my advantage!

That is an awesome deal for sure!

Also has a lift from the factory so height is the same as a 4x4 stance. A friend of mine has a 2018 Sport 4x4 with the Night package and my 2wd Harvest sits at the same height as his. :)

Ahhh, that explains *some* of the price difference I was questioning then, as the 4x4 is a good bit more expensive.

Seeing what the Harvest Edition includes now, I wish I could have gotten one - but, I wanted the Rambox bed, and no inventory within 4-6 hours of me came up with Harvest and Rambox (+ whatever other factors I wanted, like color, etc.) Still happy with my Big Horn though I do have to go get Line-X in the bed and I'm going to put my own nerf bars on it. Cheers!

JimfromAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, new poster here. This is the deal I just got on 4/14/18:

2018 1500 Sport
Crew cab
Hemi 5.7
4x4
Spray in bed liner
Blackout
Running boards
Nav 8.4
Keyless entry/auto start
Half leather/cloth heated seats
Sport hood limited grill
Parking sensors
32 gal tank
Lifetime warranty
3yrs free oil change/tire rotations

Sticker said 53 and change and I got 38 and change for price.

Traded in 2011 ram slt 4x2 with 65k miles. They gave me what I asked for of 15,500. After payoff and fees/taxes, I walked out with 33k and change to finance.

So that's the deal I got. Not sure if I did good, but it feels like I did.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My local dealer is already discounting '19 5-7k already

Geddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
First post here. Thinking about getting my first Ram. Looking at a basic 2017 Tradesman quad cab 4x4 3.6L and not sure what a good price is for it.

On the phone the sales rep wouldn’t budge from the advertised price of 27.5% off MSRP, but urged me to visit so we could negotiate further (his words).

I’ve seen 28% on 2018’s advertised by some local dealers, so this doesn’t seem like a good deal at all. I threw out 35% and that seemed like a non-starter. Not sure what is reasonable and what my target should be. Thanks for your help.