Never again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My frustration has gone to full blown anger. Ordered 21 3500 regular DSL Laramie Mega Cab dually on Dec 28 2020. 16 weeks ago finally got another update today supposed to arrive a dealer between 4-27 to 5-11 but that could change. There are people on this site who have ordered (well after me)and received their trucks with more options than mine. I cannot believe this takes this long if I did not have a deposit down and a topper already sitting at local shop (for 6 weeks) waiting to be installed I would tell Ram to shove the truck up where the sun does not shine. I will never order another vehicle again and when the dealer tries to increase the price because of miles put on my trade in that will not go well either. For over 4 months I have tried not to go any far distances to keep miles off of truck and always worry that some idiot will ding my present truck and be stuck with dealing with any kind of repairs before trade in. I hope others on this site have better luck than me.

Trapper1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel your pain. I will never order another truck either. Might not be so bad if we were at least kept in the loop. My dealer treats me like a mushroom. He actually got mad at me for inquiring about status and told me " I'll upade you when I get updated" . I asked about the chip shortage and he told me he didn't know anything about it. What can you do?

lowufo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I to have factory ordered a couple cars/trucks in the past but not anymore. Too many delays and each time they have arrived with a missing option or two never with more. My last new truck I bought it off the lot with 5km on it. I was able to look it all over, test drive and I was sure of what I was getting with no surprises.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Every car company is having major delays due to supply chain issues during COVID. There must be something on your particular model truck that is having an issue. Look at the pictures of all the Silverado sitting in the lot. I know guys who ordered Camaro and they are still waiting due to shortages.

Cancel it and go find one on a lot.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep - maybe it's just advancing age, but I no longer order either. Too many problems, too many deliveries with incorrect options, etc. etc. etc.

snakeman56

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There is got to be a problem with certain models! I ordered my 2021 2500 Laramie Mega Cab on March 5, 2021 with the following options. Towing Technology Group B, Bed Utility Group, Night Edition, Laramie Level B Equipment Group, 220 Amp Alternator,Flat Wheel to wheel Side Steps Painted, Protection Group, Uconnect 12.0 with Navigation, Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle.
It's on the train to Denver with an ETA of 4/19- 5/03/ 21

I was on the Ram website and did another build and they have cut down the option Group down a bit!!

Also my salesperson has kept me in the loop the whole time, gives me updates every week!!

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This won't help your issue, but in 30 years and at least a dozen new vehicles between my wife and I, I have never ordered a vehicle. We have a ton of dealers of all brands in my area and I've always been able to find the car, truck or Jeep from dealer stock with an option combination I wanted or at the most would give or take some lesser wants vs must haves. I also feel they're a bit more incentivized to move an in-stock truck immediately.

I personally never understood ordering but I'm sure it has something to do with limited stock in some areas.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahhh the beauty of the internet. Especially with Ram making window stickers so easy to get, it is SO easy to search for EXACTLY what you want. Patience and diligence are required. I searched for months, and knew exactly what my "must haves", "must not haves", and "don't cares" were. I found the truck i wanted a state away, went and got it.

I wish you luck either way...I'd be frustrated as hell too.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually have ordered all my vehicles, and only had one major delay. My 1973 Dodge Power Wagon took 9 months, talk about frustration...Long before the computer age..

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I usually have ordered all my vehicles, and only had one major delay. My 1973 Dodge Power Wagon took 9 months, talk about frustration...Long before the computer age..

Wow, that's a pretty long time! What caused that delay?

OP
OP
D

DJ52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No idea was told a week ago that is in transit between 4-27 and 5-11 expected at dealer subject to change next update on May4. Don't get your hopes up to high apparently train must move really slow of they are just blowing smoke to appease the customers.

JohnnyBandit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never ordered a vehicle. Even before the internet, if what I was looking for was scarce, I told my dealer exactly what I was looking for and color options and they always came up with it via dealer trade. I have had several vehicles that my dealer of choice went out found for me. Some had a couple hundred miles on it.

Dealers do "dealer trades" on new inventory all the time. It is in their best interest to work with other dealers because they may be looking for something on another dealer's lot the next day.

But I dunno, Maybe this is not as common in more remote regions?

In 2005, I wanted a specific model and a specific color Nissan Frontier. The dealer less than 10 miles from my house had it. I went and test drove it. Tried to buy it. Dealer was jerking me around on my trade, wanted to try to talk me into things I did not want etc. I got frustrated and tried to leave. It was late in the evening. I really wanted that truck but did not want to deal with the foolishness late on a weeknight. They tried to play "hide the trade in keys" on me.... I about came unglued.... My wife and I had only been together a year and had recently become engaged. She said later, she had never seen me so mad....

Next evening I drove to a dealer with a great rep 25 miles away. Told them what I wanted. Gave them the VIN number of the exact truck I had driven the night before. We sat down, made a deal and I left them a deposit. Next morning the sales manager called me and said, the truck I was looking for, the only one in the color I wanted was the one I had test driven and that dealer would not turn loose of it because they had a deal working on it. The first dealer had been blowing up my phone trying to get me answer. I called the jerk dealership. Insisted on speaking to the General Manager. Had to go through three or four people, held a long time. Finally got the GM... Explained who I was, how I had been treated and that I was trying to buy that truck at another dealer but they were refusing to give it up. Told him if they did not turn loose of the truck, my next call was to Nissan America, then the local news station watch dog reporter, etc. He even tried to talk me back into buying from them. No chance. Finally he said he would take care of it. 30 minutes later, my sales rep from the dealer I was buying from called to tell me they had secured my truck. I picked it up that evening.

Octane

Reaction score
JohnnyBandit,I traded a car in once and I had put a set of rubber autozone slushmats over the factory carpeted mats.The sales people didnt didnt want to let go of the slushmats,even with the factory mats that I was going to leave in that car.I had to get a little nasty with them and took my slushmats.What I wish I had done since they were a-holes about it was yank both sets and drive off.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
COVID is the default excuse.
No idea was told a week ago that is in transit between 4-27 and 5-11 expected at dealer subject to change next update on May4. Don't get your hopes up to high apparently train must move really slow of they are just blowing smoke to appease the customers.

All transportation is pretty much maxed out. Many truckers I know say they are turning down loads because they do not have enough driving hours to handle it.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was told my delay was due to the bucket seats that I ordered. They did not show they were available for the 4x4 models, only 2wd. The dealer wrote in the code on the hand written order form. He didn't think it would be any issue since the bodies were all the same, and things were done like this ears ago. That's the only reason they could give me.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered my last 4-vehicles, and prior to my current Ram, they were all BMW's coming in from across the pond. Never had a problem. Even with my new '21 Ram, I ordered it in July and drove away with it on September 15th. I have been lucky, but these are different times today - who knows where things go from here? And good luck finding what you want on a dealers lot now. Some of the largest dealers in the Dallas area are down to a handful of new 1500's, where before they had dozens upon dozens.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i went to my local auto group that we've been dealing with for a couple decades to order my power wagon.we were told to not even bother ordering one.they were waiting on several units that were still in limbo.he went out of his way to find me one as close as possible to what i wanted.we couldn't find a 75'th in white with ram boxes,but did find a level 2.i was about to put down the deposit at another dealer when he called and told me he found one closer to what i was looking for,and it was already built and on the way.still not a 75'th but at least i won't be waiting months for delivery.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The VERY LAST thing a dealership wants to do is to put in a special order vehicle. They want to move the inventory on their lot. Getting the combinations of options on a vehicle sitting on the dealer lot usually never happens.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
The only reason people order a truck is because they get their name on the window sticker. You used to do better ordering one but now there is no discounts for ordering. I own a computer company and our motto is " Love, touch, feel, play and take it home." I ordered a 2016 Limited and it came in with issues. Not again. I want to do my motto before I buy one. With the computer age, put in your options and the sucky Ram website will tell you what is out there. Along with all the garbage.