new battery and still dies when i unhook charger/jumper box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brevan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i put in a new battery today and the truck dies instantly when I take charger/jumper box off?
any thoughts or suggestions? truck has ben sitting for like 4-5 months

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Charging system issues. U gonna have to trouble shoot the system. Now, U know, could be a bad battery also, happens. But really sounds like charge system issue, all IMHO...

OP
OP
Brevan

Brevan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Terminals and leads are tight. Guess I'll take battery back to napa. Thx

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Did you figure this out?

So, just curious, do you have a multimeter? That would tell you the voltage on the battery. Possible they forgot to fill it and sold you a dry battery.

You would also be able to tell if the alternator is charging when its running on the jump pack.

I have not had a chance to read up on 3rd gen alternators, but I assume they need need a certain amount of voltage to establish the magnetic field that creates the current when the alternator spins, which is why it won't run on a dead battery and you can't get it running and then pull the battery like in the good old days.

Multimeters are so cheap and have so many uses, I can't imagine not having one.