New brake controller problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haolefool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I recently installed a (supposedly) OEM brake module and buttons on my 2019 1500 Classic. I purchased them on e bay, not in original packaging, but they appeared to be new and correct.
After installing, I had my local dealer do the programming. When I picked it up, the service writer told me that it wasn’t operating yet. It might need a day or a few run cycles for the computer to recognize it.
After about a week of nothing, I unplugged re plugged the connectors at the module and button. It appeared to do the trick. The screen recognizes if the trailer is connected or not. The screen shows gain adjustment when I manipulate the buttons. However, the brakes still don’t operate, and in the settings menu, it won’t let me select trailer #, brake type, or trailer name.
I have an appointment at the dealer to have them program it (again), but they are pointing the finger at the hardware I installed.
Any ideas?

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
They oh-so-helpfully suggested that you purchase a "working" controller from them, yes?
eBay (and Amazon) are going to be hit-or-miss on OEM controller kits. Many of them are going to say OEM, but will be built with 100% pure Chinesium. Does your kit have the proper badging, stickers, etc? Not going to say that's a guarantee, but it goes a long way towards making sure you have the real deal.

OP
OP
H

Haolefool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I don’t know what the proper badging would be. It was purchased from an e bay seller with a good rep, at a very good price. He disclosed up front that it was not in original packaging. But the bracket, module, and buttons all seemed to fit perfectly. The module connectors are a tight fit though.
I have little faith in the dealer, since they couldn’t even tell that I apparently had a bad connection. I would hate to buy all new hardware from the dealer, and have them install it, if it’s a silly problem.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I dredged around a little, but check with the official Mopar part resellers... if your dealership was smart, they would have checked that part of it for you and said something.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is 3 different trailer brake controller kits for the Gen4 truck from '13 and newer. The correct part number for the Classic trucks should be 82215040AC
I do remember people having problems with knock off versions of the brake controller for these trucks

OP
OP
H

Haolefool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Thanks for the part #. I popped the module out, and there is no sticker with that number. There is a number stamped on the back metal housing, but a search on that number came back with nothing.
I may have rolled the dice and lost on this one. I think I’ll let the dealer try flashing it again. Maybe it didn’t take due to the loose connector.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thanks for the part #. I popped the module out, and there is no sticker with that number.
That part number is for the trailer brake controller kit, it's not the module that goes under the dash.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963