New BW companion hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently got the BW turnover ball setup as well as a line x bed liner installed. Today I had the chance to put together the new campanion 20K hitch. I really hope I got the arms in a good spot. I previously had the Patriot 18K and thought it was a great hitch. On this new truck I wanted to have a flat bed when I’m not towing the fifth wheel. Does anyone here use this hitch? I’ve heard good things about the companion.

6FA8F926-DEC0-4077-9FF0-36384F875DF8.jpeg

65B8A197-4F57-42D7-903E-F6BF3164DC0F.jpeg

EB621998-D2BF-4D41-85A2-CF2AC8CB97FA.jpeg

6DC83B16-47CC-4816-B877-41AA6BDFA2F6.jpeg

F917C9B2-D213-4770-9115-C6C980DA46ED.jpeg

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My dad has this same setup on his F450. It has been an amazing hitch, and is ridiculously overbuilt.

At first I thought you might have had it a bit far back, but then realized you have a short box - which means you've probably got it in about the right spot.

If I ever switch back to a 5'er (high probability), this is the hitch setup I'll be going with. As much as I like the puck systems, after comparing the structure of the two, the B&W is still better built.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked at my patriot hitch and the the arms are in the most rear setting. I can move them about maybe 1 1/2 inch back further on the campanion but I’m not exactly sure if this hitch is sitting in the same spot as the previous one was with the rail system.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have that hitch but in a slider version and it's been good but not totally trouble free. 3-4X out of probably 30 uses the jaws have failed to release when I'm trying to unhook. From poking around RV message boards I found this is a somewhat common problem other have had.

Shifting the kingpin weight forward/back will sometimes help them open but I really hate pushing/pulling the trailer with the landing gear down. What works every time is to hold the release handle all the way open with a bungee cord and just drive out. When doing this the jaws have always opened for me... sometimes after quite a bit of throttle. Of course, be sure the trailer wheels are well chocked.

So, not the biggest problem but a bit frustrating considering how much the hitch cost and its reputation from many for being perfect.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does the Companion hitch tilt side to side? If not, that might cause the issue of not releasing. If the trailer isn't level, maybe it puts a bind on the hitch.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the next-best-thing. I have the B&W turnover ball in my truck. I didn't want to spend the $700-$800 for the Companion hitch, since I already had a 5er hitch. I got this:
https://www.amazon.com/16220-Gooseneck-5th-Wheel-Adapter-Plate/dp/B00E9B7AV8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

It goes in the GN hole, and my 5er hitch gets pinned to this adapter plate. I keep it all together, and lift it all out with my tractor. Before I got the tractor, I used an engine hoist to move it in and out of the truck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does the Companion hitch tilt side to side? If not, that might cause the issue of not releasing. If the trailer isn't level, maybe it puts a bind on the hitch.

I'm pretty sure it does but am not near it to verify. Either way, when I've had problems I've been on dead level ground and all the weight is taken off so there is no contact between trailer and hitch (other than the pin "floating" in the jaws.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the next-best-thing. I have the B&W turnover ball in my truck. I didn't want to spend the $700-$800 for the Companion hitch, since I already had a 5er hitch. I got this:
https://www.amazon.com/16220-Gooseneck-5th-Wheel-Adapter-Plate/dp/B00E9B7AV8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

It goes in the GN hole, and my 5er hitch gets pinned to this adapter plate. I keep it all together, and lift it all out with my tractor. Before I got the tractor, I used an engine hoist to move it in and out of the truck.

i looked into getting a removable rail system as well. I did the math and I would pretty much break even by getting the bw turnover w/ removable rail system and the bw w/ companion and selling my patriot. I figured I’d just get the better hitch and pay the same amount overall. Just have to deal with selling it now.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I have that hitch but in a slider version and it's been good but not totally trouble free. 3-4X out of probably 30 uses the jaws have failed to release when I'm trying to unhook. From poking around RV message boards I found this is a somewhat common problem other have had.

Shifting the kingpin weight forward/back will sometimes help them open but I really hate pushing/pulling the trailer with the landing gear down. What works every time is to hold the release handle all the way open with a bungee cord and just drive out. When doing this the jaws have always opened for me... sometimes after quite a bit of throttle. Of course, be sure the trailer wheels are well chocked.

So, not the biggest problem but a bit frustrating considering how much the hitch cost and its reputation from many for being perfect.

It seems this will happen when you have a little pressure pulling forward, or rolling back against the kingpin. When the pin is sitting neutral without pressure from any direction, jaws will open up easy. I’ll be in that situation and give the releasing handle a real hard yank and it releases. The rolls about an inch or so. Makes you pucker :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I'm pretty sure it does but am not near it to verify. Either way, when I've had problems I've been on dead level ground and all the weight is taken off so there is no contact between trailer and hitch (other than the pin "floating" in the jaws.

Yes, will pivot side to side. Love my B&W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone here has a standard bed and non sliding hitch, can you measure from the cab to the center of the kingpin on your hitch?

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up just moving the arms in the most rear setting. Figured it’s more important to maintain the clearance while turning than moving it as close as possible to the rear axle.