New carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlee76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey there. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I don't won't to scroll thru all of this just to look for it... Lol. But I have an 88 w150 with a 5.9. My question is what is the best carb to go with. I am either looking at rebuilding what's on it... Which I kinda don't want to do. Or just throwing an aftermarket on it. So if I go that route. What is the best cfm? I know this thing is a gas guzzler and by no means a hotrod. It's my daily driver. So fuel economy and a better low end would be my main concerns. Thanks in advance

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U really need to add details: What Make Carbuerator on truck: Number if possible, 2 BBL, 4 BBL, and do U have an EGR valve:

U can go Holley/Carter/Edelbrock.

Here is suggestilon: Edelbrock is the only seems to come up when I do a search...That is readily available and U can get directly from Edelbrock.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1988/dodge/w150/carburetion/carburetor.html

(Now if U go 4 BBL, and you only have a 2 BBL on there, U would either have to change intake or put on an adapter plate, and same in reverse).

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jlee76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry. It's a Rochester R4-M4me that's in it. Stock 4 bbl. Non egr. And I know I can go which ever brand. I'm just mainly asking for cfm rating that would pair up nicely and not over or under power what I've got. Like I said it's not a hotrod but a little bit of omph would be nice.

OP
OP
J

Jlee76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I've done the internet searches.... That's why I'm here. I want to hear it from someone that's swapped it and tried different ones and has real world data on it. The internet can tell ya almost anything... But I trust actual knowledge from someone that has put the work in on it...

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And I've done the internet searches.... That's why I'm here. I want to hear it from someone that's swapped it and tried different ones and has real world data on it. The internet can tell ya almost anything... But I trust actual knowledge from someone that has put the work in on it...

so the knowledge from someone... on the internet.....

JK, meant in good natured ribbing.

so my guess is that you'll not get many responses on this. the truck is probably a 2 barrel and few people will spend $$$ on an after market 2 bbl carb on these trucks. more likely, will replace the intake and go 4 bbl with a complete performance rebuild or go EFI. of course I could be wrong.

if it is a 2 bbl, you're probably looking at a holley or edelbrock in terms of ease of purchase with customer support. how many 'real world' experience reports you'll find... that's a different search.

good luck. hope you get this sorted.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I don't won't to scroll thru all of this just to look for it... Lol. But I have an 88 w150 with a 5.9. My question is what is the best carb to go with. I am either looking at rebuilding what's on it... Which I kinda don't want to do. Or just throwing an aftermarket on it. So if I go that route. What is the best cfm? I know this thing is a gas guzzler and by no means a hotrod. It's my daily driver. So fuel economy and a better low end would be my main concerns. Thanks in advance

I thought this was about my keto diet!

OP
OP
J

Jlee76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a stock 4 barrel Rochester like I stated earlier. Sooo I'll just find a different forum.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's a stock 4 barrel Rochester like I stated earlier. Sooo I'll just find a different forum.

I missed your post about the 4 bbl. I would guess that you might have better luck on ramchargercentral.com. they probably have way more discussions/experience on carburetors than here considering only a portion of gen 1 Rams had carbs. everything else on this forum is EFI.

again, hope you get this sorted. good luck. <insert pointless joke here>.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Lol yeah. Glad y'all just have pointless jokes instead of info.

Well OK...buh bye. You post on a forum and expect immediate answers. Lighten up Francis. In case you've been under a rock the last two months, most people have more important concerns at this particular point in time.