New Classic Laramie owner w/ questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eldoradoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Hi everyone, just picked up a new Laramie Classic ecodiesel. Great truck.

Question on the rebate for taking Chrysler financing - how long do I really have to wait before I can refinance with my own bank? I can’t seem to find any fine print on this, when I first started inquiring with a different dealership than where I bought they said 100 days, or 3 payments. At the place I bought it from they were now saying 4 payments “just to be safe” because if I refi it early they will send me a bill for the amount of that rebate. Sounds like BS, can anyone confirm when it is safe to refi with my credit union? If I make 4 payments and give them a bunch of money in interest then it wipes out the rebate! I read I think on this forum a poster claiming that you can refi it whenever you want but would like to confirm.

2nd question - this was noticed after a long test drive last week and tonight after bringing it home. A burning smell almost like faint burning plastic smell. Initially I told the salesman and he claimed that the engine or other parts have some sort of coating from manufacture that you sometimes smell and burns off shortly. When I got the truck home tonight and parked and got out, there it was again. Except this time it was dark and cold and with the overhead bed lighting I could see it smoking/steaming up from between the bed & cab. Coming off the exhaust I assume. Is this normal burn off from a brand new vehicle or am I going straight back to the service dept. already?

The truck has had the EGR recall done which I confirmed via VIN, so I assume it’s nothing related to that.

Thanks for any help!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Question on the rebate for taking Chrysler financing - how long do I really have to wait before I can refinance with my own bank? I can’t seem to find any fine print on this, when I first started inquiring with a different dealership than where I bought they said 100 days, or 3 payments. At the place I bought it from they were now saying 4 payments “just to be safe” because if I refi it early they will send me a bill for the amount of that rebate. Sounds like BS, can anyone confirm when it is safe to refi with my credit union? If I make 4 payments and give them a bunch of money in interest then it wipes out the rebate! I read I think on this forum a poster claiming that you can refi it whenever you want but would like to confirm.

2nd question - this was noticed after a long test drive last week and tonight after bringing it home. A burning smell almost like faint burning plastic smell. Initially I told the salesman and he claimed that the engine or other parts have some sort of coating from manufacture that you sometimes smell and burns off shortly. When I got the truck home tonight and parked and got out, there it was again. Except this time it was dark and cold and with the overhead bed lighting I could see it smoking/steaming up from between the bed & cab. Coming off the exhaust I assume. Is this normal burn off from a brand new vehicle or am I going straight back to the service dept. already?

The truck has had the EGR recall done which I confirmed via VIN, so I assume it’s nothing related to that.

Thanks for any help!
Call Chrysler financial to be sure but I would say no. Possibly the dealer will loose something if you refinance early though but in the end it's your wallet that matters not theirs. How many miles on the truck? Both my 2015 and 17 Laramies had a weird smell for a few months/few thousand miles that eventually went away. It wouldn't cost you anything but time to let the dealer check it though.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What Tidefan said ... You could have walked out of the dealer, and right to your bank, if you wanna bone the finance guy ... 3 payments and the dealer and the finance guy get their kickback ... Anything less, and they get hosed ... I just did this with my wife’s Jeep ... I’ve known the finance guy since 2012 when I bought my Ram ... So I played nice in the sandbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Use the Chrysler Capital website, when I bought mine in August 2019, the dealer told me 6 months. The website would have allowed me to pay it off on the first payment.

If you agreed to pay it off over a set time then it's your choice as to whether you do that or not. I had no agreement on payments so I did it in two checks. I would have done it in one if I had read the site more carefully.

But if you do make payments, pay the entire amount owed minus the remaining payments (5 in your case) or the interest will eat up any rebate savings if you make just the required monthly amount until the last payment.

I also see you are getting another loan, ITC - I'd just pay it off on the first payment. Even if you do you will pay out about $100 in fees and interest but I was happy to as they gave me $400 for writing two checks.

OP
OP
E

Eldoradoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Thanks guys, I dug around last night and the same topic on another FCA vehicle forum, same answers. The finance guy even said the “no prepayment “ penalty line very quickly and smoothly while he was handing me crap to sign.

the owners manual goes over the basics of the diesel and goes over regen and how it smells. Seems like that but didn’t think that would happen when brand new. 49 miles when I drove it home.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U probably smelling regen, but without a "gauge" toshow if in a regen cycle, unable to be sure. Your Peace of Mind whether or not to go back to Dealer. Guess depends upon what type of relationship U got with yer dealer and SA at Dealership.

REPAYMENT: Total BS, U can repay whenever. Usually, U end up using FCA/GM, whomever to get rebates, then pay off. What I have done is use FCA, wait a month, make 1 payment then pay off so I get all of the extra rebates U get when U finance with Company. But each experience is different. Unless Yer Contract has in writing that U signed a Statement that U have to wait a specific period of time...

LAST TRUCK: I bought in August 2018. Did all rebates, trade in,., deduction off MSRP, etc., etc, gave them Credit Card, put $12,500 on Credit Card, and walked out door owning truck. I then transferred money outta fund as soon as CC payment hit and got rid of debt. OH, my dealership about a week later found me another $1,500 in rebates and called and asked: Refi or have FCA send check? I said send check. 6 weeks later I got check, Just a saying... and no I am not rich, but I diligently keep an eye on all finances...:33:

ADDED; And I's a BOIRD.....

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
U probably smelling regen, but without a "gauge" toshow if in a regen cycle, unable to be sure. Your Peace of Mind whether or not to go back to Dealer. Guess depends upon what type of relationship U got with yer dealer and SA at Dealership.

REPAYMENT: Total BS, U can repay whenever. Usually, U end up using FCA/GM, whomever to get rebates, then pay off. What I have done is use FCA, wait a month, make 1 payment then pay off so I get all of the extra rebates U get when U finance with Company. But each experience is different. Unless Yer Contract has in writing that U signed a Statement that U have to wait a specific period of time...

LAST TRUCK: I bought in August 2018. Did all rebates, trade in,., deduction off MSRP, etc., etc, gave them Credit Card, put $12,500 on Credit Card, and walked out door owning truck. I then transferred money outta fund as soon as CC payment hit and got rid of debt. OH, my dealership about a week later found me another $1,500 in rebates and called and asked: Refi or have FCA send check? I said send check. 6 weeks later I got check, Just a saying... and no I am not rich, but I diligently keep an eye on all finances...:33:

nice job, dealers around me in cali would only take $3k max on credit card, then its a check or financing.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

BOIRD...........You must be from Jersey!

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made one payment to Chrysler then paid them off.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Thanks for any help!

Hey, Eldoradoram. We do recommend revisiting the dealer to have the trained technicians take a look at your vehicle. Please keep us updated and if you need further assistance we are available in private message.

Kate
RamCares