New discussion on 5.7/6.4 hemi lifter failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has this video been posted here yet?

This guy (previous FCA mechanic) does an indepth walk through on the MDS system, found it fascinating. Now I'm worried that I shouldn't be turning off my MDS all the time.

Far as I can see, he thinks it might be better to do an MDS delete, then tell the ECU to keep MDS enabled at all times, as pressurized oil is only sent to the lifters when MDS is active.

He also says in the comments that the 6.4 seems to have more problems with this (unless that was a typo).

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
He says "my research shows less than 5% have the lifter / cam failure issue".

I wish he would of said what / how. I completely concur with his understanding of corporate risk analysis. It exactly fits my experience working for corporate American for 30+ years. We are stuck with it, period. And....they won't help us.

Also, his conclusion is pretty much what another poster observed when he turned his MDS back on - tick went away. Beginning to think the solution is non MDS lifters with MDS oil solenoids turned on full time - means full time lifter roller oiling down the bore - even at idle.

Appreciate this guy's time and help.

Last edited: