new hemi tick video, recommends hellcat oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Easily said, and probably easily done, but...

Assuming AlphaOBD is the go-to interface for this and some other features as well, I would be starting from zero to make this happen.

My question is what's the list of items and ballpark cost.
My 2014 with 106,000 miles is factory stock except for LED cargo and reverse lights. I really like the idea of a 750RPM idle, I've used the pedal to get there and can barely tell the difference.

For any interface I have an Android phone and a Windows 10/11 laptop. Everything else I would have to "procure".
For a 14 if you're not interested in really tuning it,you could pick up an older T1000 Diablo (make sure it's unmarried) and use it to disable MDS ,up the idle rpm and you can also use it to remove the speed limiter. It'll have a couple canned tunes that you could also try out,they aren't as good as a custom tune,but they'll work for a stock truck for a slight bump in power. HP is the better option,but is more money,and if you don't know what you're doing,can get you into trouble if you start experimenting

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2014 is fairly straightforward as your ECU is not locked like 2015 and up. So it would be HPTuner obd dongle ($400), free software download, ecu/tcu credits ($50 each, 2 credits for ecu, 4 credits if you have the 8 speed), and go from there. Either you can learn to edit the files yourself, or pay for tuning (worth it IMO) and ask as part of the tuning to raise the idle speed.

Do you need HP Tuner's specific OBD dongle? I just bought a bluetooth one and it works with Jscan.

And second question, what's the best source of unlocked ECU's?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you need HP Tuner's specific OBD dongle? I just bought a bluetooth one and it works with Jscan.

For the reading/tuning yes, you need their MPVI. I bought the ECU from HPTuners direct, they can unlock or provide a new one. You do have to buy the dongle first and provide a stock read file so they can program the new ECU and it will drop in and run just like your current one. I've heard the Diablo ECUs don't play nice, and I've seen other people use eBay stock ECUs to send in for reprogramming.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I bought a second PCM from the dealer for the wifes 2019 Challenger and sent it to HP to be unlocked,but there's alot of differant options.You could send your stock one in to be unlocked,but then your truck is down for a bit,or you could pick up a used PCM and send it in.CCMR in Edmonton can unlock them if you don't want to deal with the border delays.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just set your idle FFS. It shows lots of you arent High Performance Ram pages. Thinking the HC oil pump is somehow a savior... lol...
I find it interesting that "don't idle" or "adjust your idle" are commonly quoted for prevention of cam/lifter failure. Yet I can't help think of all the police cruisers in the country that spend most of their day idling. They don't all destroy engines.

IMO the problem is overrepresented anyways. It's the typical negative bias forums have. People don't come online and report "Oh, another week with no problems." They only tend to show up when there is a problem. As much as Hemi was spread around the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram lineup over the past twenty years if there was really such a fatal flaw it would have been fixed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I find it interesting that "don't idle" or "adjust your idle" are commonly quoted for prevention of cam/lifter failure. Yet I can't help think of all the police cruisers in the country that spend most of their day idling. They don't all destroy engines.

IMO the problem is overrepresented anyways. It's the typical negative bias forums have. People don't come online and report "Oh, another week with no problems." They only tend to show up when there is a problem. As much as Hemi was spread around the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram lineup over the past twenty years if there was really such a fatal flaw it would have been fixed.
Cop cars are one of the worst for eating cams.I don't know where you're getting your info from,but it's wrong about police vehicles.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The oil pressure #s dont lie.

Takes 2 seconds to see it on HP tuners.

Dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that 10psi gain for a stetting change that takes 3 seconds is the first MOD you should do.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I also have the tazer dt which comes with it's own security module, will that work with HP's stuff?

You could try it.

I have HP Cable, and ZAuto cable and ZAuto Module. All three work. Not sure Tazer DT will, could affect settings.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The oil pressure #s dont lie.

Takes 2 seconds to see it on HP tuners.

Dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that 10psi gain for a stetting change that takes 3 seconds is the first MOD you should do.
The cam lobes and lifter rollers are not lubricated via any oil passages where increased oil pressure would be a benefit. They're lubricated via crank sling. Crank sling takes place via engine RPM's. So, yeah, a slight increase in idle RPM's may increase the amount of oil slung up to the cam and lifters. Might.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The cam lobes and lifter rollers are not lubricated via any oil passages where increased oil pressure would be a benefit. They're lubricated via crank sling. Crank sling takes place via engine RPM's. So, yeah, a slight increase in idle RPM's may increase the amount of oil slung up to the cam and lifters. Might.
The stock idle rpm is roughly 500 to 550 rpm,so upping it to 700+ does throw a fair bit more oil onto the cam lobes