new hemi tick video, recommends hellcat oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What do you think guys, should we be upgrading to hellcat oil pump? He addresses a lot of what we've discussed here, including whether more volume would blow out seals or not. Interesting take that's for sure.

OP
OP
ramffml

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it's too long to watch, basically some guys who've tried the hellcat pump from the 6.2 (which bolts right up to a 5.7 or a 6.4 without mods) have been getting codes thrown which says "low oil pressure". Turns out the code is just a generic oil pressure code which means the pressure is outside of the expected bounds, in this case it's higher than what it wants due to the increase in volume. So he recommends either using the pressure relief spring from the 5.7 pump instead if you haven't done the swap yet, or basically reducing the pressure switch signal voltage by putting 2 resisters on the signal to lower the output signal and fool the pcm into thinking it's getting the proper psi.

I'd prefer the spring from the 5.7 pump, that way we're only actually increasing volume and pressure on idle and still hitting pressure relief at the old upper boundary.

Is this the source of hemi tick? Dunno, but just one of those things we can do in addition to whatever else we're doing, to increase our chances I guess. I'd never do this and then run PUP 0w-20 for example. Have to combine all these strategies. Highest quality oil, low oil change intervals, strong filters, minimize idling, and now possibly this pump. Definitely thinking about it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The Hellcat pump still doesn't get anymore oil on the face of the cam lobes,or the roller wheel though,the only way to accomplish more oil splash onto the cam lobe is up the idle rpm,and drive it like you stole it.
The cam and roller are still lubricated from crank splash,same as pretty well every other V8 engine since they developed the V8
The high priced Johnson lifters with the bleed hole do address the lobe/roller oiling issue,but they're well out of the average guys budget

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The Hellcat pump still doesn't get anymore oil on the face of the cam lobes,or the roller wheel though,the only way to accomplish more oil splash onto the cam lobe is up the idle rpm,and drive it like you stole it.
The cam and roller are still lubricated from crank splash,same as pretty well every other V8 engine since they developed the V8
The high priced Johnson lifters with the bleed hole do address the lobe/roller oiling issue,but they're well out of the average guys budget

This.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So drive this **** out of it? Will have to do the math on the difference between replacing cams and speeding tickets.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
So drive this **** out of it? Will have to do the math on the difference between replacing cams and speeding tickets.
You don't have to drive the snot out of it, just don't idle for long. Get in and go. At idle there isn't enough sling from the crank to get oil up to the cam and lifters.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Get in...power up...select "D"...and go.
Idle is the curse...its okay for stop lights but not for waiting for spouse in the grocery store.
Some climates do require more idle time then other climates,when it's -30+,you're more inclined to let it idle while the spouse is in the grocery store,and to let it warm up before driving it,same as if it's 105+ outside

WSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is something I'd like to try, but I'm new to the 5.7 and need to do some research on how difficult a job it is to change it out.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is something I'd like to try, but I'm new to the 5.7 and need to do some research on how difficult a job it is to change it out.
A better option is to unlock your pcm and use a tuner to up the idle rpm to 725+.Changing the pump still doesn't put anymore oil on the cam lobes or the lifters roller,they're still lubed by crank splash.They don't get any pressurized oil,so having a higher volumn pump isn't going to put more oil where it's needed,the only thing that'll get more oil to them is a higher idle rpm,and don't baby the truck.The Hemi doesn't like Grandma driving,lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Hemi doesn't like Grandma driving
The Hemi not the only engine I've read people baffled why it blew up and one of their descriptions is "I baby it, drive it like an old lady". What's the point of having the horsepower and not letting it loose once in a while.

WSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Wild one , thanks for the info. Its helpful.
As far as a higher idle, how does that effect the trans as far as harshness going into gear and when sitting at a stoplight? I've not noticed what this truck idles at.
Also, I've been accused of driving like an old lady more than once!!

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just set your idle FFS. It shows lots of you arent High Performance Ram pages. Thinking the HC oil pump is somehow a savior... lol...
Easily said, and probably easily done, but...

Assuming AlphaOBD is the go-to interface for this and some other features as well, I would be starting from zero to make this happen.

My question is what's the list of items and ballpark cost.
My 2014 with 106,000 miles is factory stock except for LED cargo and reverse lights. I really like the idea of a 750RPM idle, I've used the pedal to get there and can barely tell the difference.

For any interface I have an Android phone and a Windows 10/11 laptop. Everything else I would have to "procure".

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easily said, and probably easily done, but...

Assuming AlphaOBD is the go-to interface for this and some other features as well, I would be starting from zero to make this happen.

My question is what's the list of items and ballpark cost.
My 2014 with 106,000 miles is factory stock except for LED cargo and reverse lights. I really like the idea of a 750RPM idle, I've used the pedal to get there and can barely tell the difference.

For any interface I have an Android phone and a Windows 10/11 laptop. Everything else I would have to "procure".
2014 is fairly straightforward as your ECU is not locked like 2015 and up. So it would be HPTuner obd dongle ($400), free software download, ecu/tcu credits ($50 each, 2 credits for ecu, 4 credits if you have the 8 speed), and go from there. Either you can learn to edit the files yourself, or pay for tuning (worth it IMO) and ask as part of the tuning to raise the idle speed.