New here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning or evening depending which timezone... I'm in Georgia. I got here by googling Ram forums. I have been driving by a 2013 Laramie Longhorn (limited?) for sale for almost 3 months now...
Its a beautiful truck and I would love to be its new home.... I have been burned so many times by purchasing used vehicles from private sellers.....3 times in the past 2 yrs now... It has every option I can see.... I don't know if it has the block heater.... I have not contacted the seller yet.... I am leery. It has 196,000 miles on it. Despite being clean, the interior shows every one of those miles. I am for more concerned with mechanical reliability at this point. more about the truck. 2013 Laramie Longhorn, full size 4 door, 6 ft(?) bed, 5.7, 4x4, tow, bed cover, sun/moon roof, leather, dial shifter, button option transfer case, step rails. Cpl minor scratches and scuffs, like I have to look for them... They are not obvious until you get two feet or closer. I have run the options list and the vin through kbb... they are asking $14k, and its worth it... but at this point its been there for 3 months and hasn't sold. The owner appears to have upgraded to a newer heavy duty clone of this truck...

What should I be wary of and/or expect to replace or repair if I buy this truck? I really cannot afford another lemon.... let alone a loss on a loan... Thanks anyone and everyone in advance.

-desperately,

Smittles

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum. Ask your question in the correct section above and you will get answers.

Red

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome. As stated, re-post your question in the 4th Gen Forum https://www.ramforum.com/forums/4th-gen-2009-2018-2019-2020-classic.37/ . That said, given the times we're in people might be passing that deal by because of personal finances. I would pass it by because the mileage/age ratio is pretty high. If the seller has maintenance records that would be a good start if you're seriously interested. My two cents... Good luck!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome!

Man, any vehicle is a major risk when you buy them with ~200K miles on them. All you can go by is how it looks and drives. What you can see, feel, hear and smell. Some people love to see records of maintenance, etc. I guess those are good too, but can mean anything IMO.

Does it have the column or floor shifter (6spd automatic) or the dial shifter (8spd). 8spd would be the only Ram 1500 I'd buy, but the 6spds aren't bad either.

To me, I wouldn't pay $14K for that. I'm not sure I'd pay $12K for it, but I know truck values are out of sight today.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:to the Forum!

Id bet it’s been sitting there due to miles. IMO, shop around you should be able to find a better deal.

just a side note.... I purchased my rig 3 years ago. I searched all brands just looking for a better replacement for my worn out 96 Z71 ext cab. The only added extra I really wanted was BT phone capability. I found that Rams had best prices out there and lowest mileage (in the price range I was shopping in). We found “Bertha” at a dealer off site sale. My kids fell in love with the cab room. So in short. I picked up my rig for $17k with 64k on the clock. I did spend $2k more than my set budget but I don’t regret that. It has all the creature comforts that I want/ care about and most importantly it works for the family. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
S

smittles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. still new to this forum and its operations and have a lousy schedule. I did try searching my question, but results didn't cover anything mechanical beyond fuel economy and potential transmission problems. I will try to correct the location of my question in the next 48 hrs, but work, wife, and toddler don't always allow. XD

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to Ram Forum.

You may find you answers in the Ram 4th Generation section under General Discussion and Engine & Performance sub-sections.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Welcome Aboard from Denison Tx

Black 20 Ram

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Welcome to the club. Research "Hemi Tick" and "exhaust manifold studs". A 5.7 with that many miles may have issues with these two subjects. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat