New projects, need answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, yesterday I placed an order for a side mirror running light wiring kit, which has started a chain reaction of other modifications I want to try to knock out all at once.
Since I have to take the front door panels off to wire up the running light kit, I figured i may as well go ahead and replace the factory 6x9"s with some speakers that have a bit more output (however I do not want to have to hook up another amp to power them). Also, since I'm going to upgrade the speakers, I figured I should probably add some sound dampening while I'm at it so i dont have to take the front doors apart again in the future.

I have questions about all 3 parts of this.

My truck has factory power/fold mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights. I ordered the mirror running light wiring kit from JHD Lighting.
Is it possible to modify the wiring so that when the turn signal is on, the puddle light also comes on (but doesnt flash)?

What kind of RMS power does the non-Alpine 8.4 push out to the door speakers? I know the doors are 4ohms, but I dont want to buy 80watts RMS speakers if the factory head unit is only putting out 10-20watts.

For sound dampening, I'm looking at 80mil Kilmat. Should that be sufficient enough to kill some of the road noise and make the audio system sound better? Or do i need to use more/other products.
I am currently only looking at doing the front doors, but eventually I plan to do the rear doors and probably the back wall and floor throughout the truck.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For the running lights, you can do what you’re looking to do with the puddle lamps and turn signals by using a 5 pin relay and diode. If you want the mirror running lights to act like true switchbacks when the turn signal is on, you can add a capacitor to the relay (the kit you bought doesn’t “drop out” the running light when the turn signal is on, but rather, the running just gets brighter). If you have ambient interior door handle lights, you can do the whole thing without pulling any wire through the door boot.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As for the speakers you could use JBL Club series. They will sound much better then the stock ones. I put some in my truck and I didn’t have to add an amp to run them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
nwsewell

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the running lights, you can do what you’re looking to do with the puddle lamps and turn signals by using a 5 pin relay and diode. If you want the mirror running lights to act like true switchbacks when the turn signal is on, you can add a capacitor to the relay (the kit you bought doesn’t “drop out” the running light when the turn signal is on, but rather, the running just gets brighter). If you have ambient interior door handle lights, you can do the whole thing without pulling any wire through the door boot.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately my truck doesn't have the ambient interior door handle lights. I didnt even know that was an option lol.
Would the wiring for that option be pre-existing in my truck, and possibly something I could activate with AlfaOBD?

How/where would I attach/wire/(?) the 5 pin relay and diode?

OP
OP
nwsewell

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for the speakers you could use JBL Club series. They will sound much better then the stock ones. I put some in my truck and I didn’t have to add an amp to run them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
Any chance you know which ones specifically you got? I'm eyeballing the JBL Club 9630's. Amazon has them for $53 a pair right now.
And at 80watts RMS each, i bet that'll really get loud.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately my truck doesn't have the ambient interior door handle lights. I didnt even know that was an option lol.
Would the wiring for that option be pre-existing in my truck, and possibly something I could activate with AlfaOBD?

How/where would I attach/wire/(?) the 5 pin relay and diode?

If you have AlfaOBD, you can enable it. I’ll draw you a diagram, if you want, of what to do for how you want the mirror running lights, turn signals, and puddle lamps to work. You would basically be scrapping the wiring kit you already ordered, though.

OP
OP
nwsewell

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have AlfaOBD, you can enable it. I’ll draw you a diagram, if you want, of what to do for how you want the mirror running lights, turn signals, and puddle lamps to work. You would basically be scrapping the wiring kit you already ordered, though.
If it means I don't have to wire anything from the door to inside the cab of the truck, I would much prefer to do it that way. Im sure i wouldnt have any trouble reselling the kit I already ordered.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any chance you know which ones specifically you got? I'm eyeballing the JBL Club 9630's. Amazon has them for $53 a pair right now.
And at 80watts RMS each, i bet that'll really get loud.

I did use the 9630’s. Look at the the ones on amazon and see if they are the Club 9630’s or Club 9630AM’s. The Club 9630’s have been discontinued and the Club 9639AM’s are the new versions. I have the old versions and they’re great. I’m not sure what the difference is between the old and new. I highly suggest the metra speaker wire adapter for hooking the speakers up to the trucks harness. It makes hooking them up plug and play.

OP
OP
nwsewell

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did use the 9630’s. Look at the the ones on amazon and see if they are the Club 9630’s or Club 9630AM’s. The Club 9630’s have been discontinued and the Club 9639AM’s are the new versions. I have the old versions and they’re great. I’m not sure what the difference is between the old and new. I highly suggest the metra speaker wire adapter for hooking the speakers up to the trucks harness. It makes hooking them up plug and play.

These are probably the new version, unless theyre just trying to sell off stock of the old ones. Amazon has them for 59% off at $53