New Recall, 25Jan2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
It appears to be the case that there is only the outboard nut (the end away from the Pitman arm) that is the focus of attention. If both nuts were welded to the sleeve, it would render the drag link junk.

ford40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think its only the 2500 up its the adj to center the steering wheel.

verng

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
What about drilling a hole in each lock nut and then wire them together?

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
It appears to be the case that both ends of the drag link feature a ball/stud end, pretty much the same as what is used on tie rods. The question is why or how enough torque can be applied to the drag link to crack that one nut loose? If both ball ends are centered when that adjuster is tightened, it suggests that the travel of the drag link gets to the end of the allowed flex of one ball end, but not the other, so the torque on the drag link increases until the nut loosens. Whether the end that is affected is RH or LH threads might indicate which ball socket is going to its limit. However, in any event, it would suggest that one or both ball sockets should not be centered when the adjusting sleeve is tightened.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just my personal thought but I am just going to RED Loctite mine and forget about it. Welding seems to be a bit overkill and whom ever at FCA thought of that fix needs some serious counseling. The other thing that comes to mind is, If in fact the adjuster sleeve did come loose the steering wheel would definitely be off center and one would think the driver would notice said change immediately. Of course that might not apply to fleet vehicles, but...

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just check my Mopar app and it usually lets me know about recalls. Good app.
My Mopar app showed my 2017 2500 as part of the recall. While I realize that not all >2500 Ram vehicles are affected, I would like to know the proper torque value for the affected nut. I am guessing that FCA is not being more specific because they do not want just anybody to attempt a fix at home, but the correct torque values would be helpful.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if it's not loose weld it???? So it can never be adjusted if need be???

So a few years later you're in the shop and the mechanic says good news, you just need an alignment, bad news I need to replace the drag link assembly because some ******* welded it....:eek:

*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I believe the instruction on the remedy is just a case of careless use of language. The problem seems to be limited to the outboard nut (the one away from the Pitman arm). Since there are many in use that have popped loose, the writer wrote weld the nuts, when I believe the intention is to weld that outboard nut only.

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Statement: Steering Linkage February 5, 2019, Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC is recalling an estimated 573,876 heavy-duty trucks in the U.S. to address a potential steering-linkage issue. An FCA US investigation discovered a specific steering-linkage configuration on certain vehicles may separate over time. If this were to occur, the driver may experience steering loss. The Company is aware of one potentially related injury and eight potentially related accidents. The recall population is limited to model-year 2013-2017 Ram 3500 pickups and model-year 2014-2017 Ram 2500 pickups and 3500 chassis cabs. Customers will be advised when they may schedule service. Those with questions or concerns may use online search engines such as the one at recalls.mopar.com to determine if their vehicles are in the recall population. Alternately, they may contact their dealers or call the FCA US Recall Information Center at (800) 853- 1403. Additional vehicles will be subject to recall in Canada (est. 62,734), Mexico (est. 17,682) and certain markets outside the NAFTA region (est. 5,837).

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/pdf.do?id=20605