New Recall, 25Jan2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There is a new recall out. Wasn't sure if the word had been spread here or not.
Jan 25,2019
Manufacturer Recall NumberV06
NHTSA Recall Number19V-021
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
SummarySome vehicles may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve.

Safety RiskA drag link separation can result in a loss of directional steering control, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.

RemedyInspect the torque values. If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the drag link assembly will be replaced.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
*deleted*

Last edited:

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My vin came up. I think it might be for the 2500s and up.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My vin came up. I think it might be for the 2500s and up.

Mine came up as well. I bought my 2014 used in August of 2018, and this is the only recall listed, so I guess I should be grateful all the other ones are done already.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So if it's not loose weld it???? So it can never be adjusted if need be???

So a few years later you're in the shop and the mechanic says good news, you just need an alignment, bad news I need to replace the drag link assembly because some ******* welded it....:eek:

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anybody post a picture of this so we can see the nut they want to weld...?

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey Thanks Ernie...
Theres alotta nuts, which one are they wanting to weld up (?)
Can you edit your picture and circle the nut, then repost it..?

I'm not real positive. The recall didn't mention one specifically, and I'm not a good enough mechanic to understand what they are alluding to, but my best guess is the one at the lower left that attaches to the tie rod. I'm sure there are some salty veterans on here that will point it out to us less knowledgeable folks.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not real positive. The recall didn't mention one specifically, and I'm not a good enough mechanic to understand what they are alluding to, but my best guess is the one at the lower left that attaches to the tie rod. I'm sure there are some salty veterans on here that will point it out to us less knowledgeable folks.
Thanks Ernie, grateful of the pic regardless.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So if it's not loose weld it???? So it can never be adjusted if need be???

So a few years later you're in the shop and the mechanic says good news, you just need an alignment, bad news I need to replace the drag link assembly because some ******* welded it....:eek:
Agreed especially since mine was adjusted when my BDS lift was installed now they are gonna weld it WTF. I still haven't been to the dealer for the 4 or 5 other recalls on my 2500 what is going on with the HDs?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey Thanks Ernie...
Theres alotta nuts, which one are they wanting to weld up (?)
Can you edit your picture and circle the nut, then repost it..?

There is no repair procedure released yet so there’s no pictures or anything to show exactly how the nuts are welded to the adjuster sleeve.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think they`ll have the mechanics just weld the nut(s) onto the sleeve in hopes that this will keep things tight.
Well, if so, some things, concern me... the nut wont move after welding it, but the bolts will still have to be locked somehow.
Hope they find a good way to keep the bolts tight, and not just the nut(s). New fasteners need to be in place. This welding is "just a band-aid" to their problem.

The "what if`s";
How many mechanics will not follow the recall procedure and just weld the nut, then over-tighten the bolts and just run it back out the door. (time is money ya know)
What kind of second op will be in place at these dealerships to make sure the job is done correctly. (plenty of shady wrencher`s and service dept`s out there)
What if the dealerships do not have a "certified welder" employed at their dealership. What kind of a bird**** weld job will you see when the job is done.
Welding changes alot of things... can cause alot of issues... hardness... brittleness... fractures... ect ect etc

After-all, they ARE, playing around with people`s lives here. I guess we`ll all see how this goes, in the long run.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think they`ll have the mechanics just weld the nut(s) onto the sleeve in hopes that this will keep things tight.
Well, if so, some things, concern me... the nut wont move after welding it, but the bolts will still have to be locked somehow.
Hope they find a good way to keep the bolts tight, and not just the nut(s). New fasteners need to be in place. This welding is "just a band-aid" to their problem.

The "what if`s";
How many mechanics will not follow the recall procedure and just weld the nut, then over-tighten the bolts and just run it back out the door. (time is money ya know)
What kind of second op will be in place at these dealerships to make sure the job is done correctly. (plenty of shady wrencher`s and service dept`s out there)
What if the dealerships do not have a "certified welder" employed at their dealership. What kind of a bird**** weld job will you see when the job is done.
Welding changes alot of things... can cause alot of issues... hardness... brittleness... fractures... ect ect etc

After-all, they ARE, playing around with people`s lives here. I guess we`ll all see how this goes, in the long run.

Chances are if welding is required it will have to be subletted to a certified welder. When the track bar recall came out, if there was welding required, a certified welder had to be brought in to do it.

When the track bar recall was out that some required welding, a certified welder had to be brought in.

Here in Canada they don’t even teach welding in the apprenticeship courses anymore, which is ******** in my opinion. They did when I went through, and I can weld well enough I would trust myself on my own vehicle. However there’s a lot of techs that couldn’t weld to save their lives.

Last edited:

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chances are if welding is required it will have to be subletted to a certified welder. When the track bar recall came out, if there was welding required, a certified welder had to be brought in to do it.

When the track bar recall was out that some required welding, a certified welder had to be brought in.

Here in Canada they don’t even teach welding in the apprenticeship courses anymore, which is ******** in my opinion. They did when I went through, and I can weld well enough I would trust myself on my own vehicle. However there’s a lot of techs that couldn’t weld to save their lives.
THAT, was the answer i was hoping to read! THANK YOU!!!!
Welding should NEVER be taken lightly, i am a certified welder, i know exactly what welding can do and i surely know the dont do`s.

I can see it now... some ******* will clamp the grounding clamp on the suspension somewhere other than the adjustment sleeve, and the sleeve will get welded within the threads of the sleeve, and this will ruin the threading. They`ll surely want to UNHOOK the battery in the truck too... automotive electronics do NOT like welders!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
THAT, was the answer i was hoping to read! THANK YOU!!!!
Welding should NEVER be taken lightly, i am a certified welder, i know exactly what welding can do and i surely know the dont do`s.

I can see it now... some ******* will clamp the grounding clamp on the suspension somewhere other than the adjustment sleeve, and the sleeve will get welded within the threads of the sleeve, and this will ruin the threading. They`ll surely want to UNHOOK the battery in the truck too... automotive electronics do NOT like welders!

It’s 100% a liability issue. There’s a couple guys in my shop that I would trust without issue doing it but technically speaking techs aren’t welders and aren’t certified as such. If someone who’s technically not certified to do it, does it then something happens. There will be a huge **** storm with fingers pointing everywhere.

However if a certified welder does it and it goes bad there’s really only one person to blame.

Last edited:

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s 100% a liability issue. There’s a couple guys in my shop that I would trust without issue doing it but technically speaker techs aren’t welders and aren’t certified as such. If someone who’s technically not certified to do it, does it then something happens. There will be a huge **** storm with fingers pointing everywhere.

However if a certified welder does it and it goes bad there’s really only one person to blame.
Exactly!