New S&B CAI & the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7duster3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So i got my S&B installed today and as i went to start up my truck i noticed the check engine light went on. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this? I followed all almost to the T. I'm going back out right now with a flashlight to make sure i buttoned everything up correctly....

I never disconnected the battery, and i never fully removed the wheel well from the truck. I couldn't get the wire disconnected so i just left it hanging on the wheel. I did manage to pull the red tab up and just remembered that i needed to re engage it but that didnt make the light go away. Also when i was installing the Temp Sensor i pushed it just a little too hard and broke off the plastic arm that keeps the sensor from going in too far. The sensor fell on the work bench not to low beneath it. Could any of these be the issue? I have no way of checking the code at this time.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i got my S&B installed today and as i went to start up my truck i noticed the check engine light went on. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this? I followed all almost to the T. I'm going back out right now with a flashlight to make sure i buttoned everything up correctly....

I never disconnected the battery, and i never fully removed the wheel well from the truck. I couldn't get the wire disconnected so i just left it hanging on the wheel. I did manage to pull the red tab up and just remembered that i needed to re engage it but that didnt make the light go away. Also when i was installing the Temp Sensor i pushed it just a little too hard and broke off the plastic arm that keeps the sensor from going in too far. The sensor fell on the work bench not to low beneath it. Could any of these be the issue? I have no way of checking the code at this time.

Sounds like your IAT sensor got damaged

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It would depend on the code that's causing the CEL but with just a CAI swap done I'm also leaning towards a damaged sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The sensor may be fine, but if you turned your key to the on position with it unplugged, it will show a stored code. Just disconnect your negative battery terminal for a few minutes to reset the computer and see if it goes away.

OP
OP

7duster3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The sensor may be fine, but if you turned your key to the on position with it unplugged, it will show a stored code. Just disconnect your negative battery terminal for a few minutes to reset the computer and see if it goes away.

Thanks for the tip, I did turn the key to the on position while everything was disconnected to turn the wheel out of the way. I'll try this ASAP. I did notice on my morning commute that the Trip meter seemed to be way off. It said at one point I was getting 34 mpg while excelerating on the freeway.

OP
OP

7duster3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Quick update:

After installation and sitting over night I drove my truck for an hour with the light on to get to work. Then it sat for 7 hours and when I got back in to leave work the light was off! I got home and saw that my DiabloSport I2 came in so I installed that and still no light. I checked to see if the tuner could find a code and nothing came up. I drove it last night to job #2 and this morning to job #1 and still no light. Now I'm really confused but happy it's gone and love the results of the CAI tuner and exhaust. Hopefully I can get my stock tune over to Sean later today......

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The light was only on because you turned the key to the on position with the sensor unplugged...nothing to worry about at all. Glad the truck is running strong with the new upgrades.