New shorty headers on the market, I think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel for you guys, it was a free country before COVID though why didn’t you move!
Lol just I just retired and couldn't move before that. I'm actually having a house built on 5 acres in another state that will be done early next year. Will miss all my friends and family but I gotta get out of here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Michigan BIGHORN

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Alright as promised here are some updates with the cheapy shorty headers. Installed them over the weekend and it was a breeze and by breeze I mean a friggin hurricane. The headers arrived great, well packaged and no damages. The header wrap I bought was garbage but because of time constraints had to use it. The headers actually fit great but I pulled a couple boo boos. First off had two busted studs deep inside the heads one on the upper rear passenger side and one upper front drivers side. Without a welder or a set of easy outs here is what I did. Started with a very small drill bit, pb blaster and a lot of patience and started drilling. Once in a quarter inch I changed to the next size bit and went only an eighth inch in then next size but and only a 16th inch effectively tapering the hole. I then ( and this is the geneous part) took a small torx bit and tapped it into the hole then I took my quarter inch drive ratchet and appropriate size socket and backed the studs right out easy breezy. Can you say redneck easyout?
Installing the headers I boo booed by damaging one of my Remflex gaskets which really pissed me off something furious. So I had the brainy idea that I would chisel the old gaskets off of the heat shield and use the cheap gaskets that came with the headers along with the heat shields because I liked the idea of having the extra protection from the heat even though they are wrapped. Well got everything in and tightened up, started it up and exhaust leaks everywhere! So off come the headers and out come the heat shields because I discovered that because of the bends in the headers they won't allow the shields to lay flat. Once I took them out it was all ok. Here are a couple pointers that will really help out if you do this. IF you decide to wrap your headers like I did be advised that there are a couple of studs that you are going to fight your ass off getting in because the clearance is so tight to begin with that once you add the thickness of the wrap you can't get the studs in. There is one on each side like that so get yourself a spare cheap 10mm wrench and grind the open end down to about half thickness and if possible put about a 20 degree bend on the wrench about an inch down. You'll thank me for this. Next when you get to the drivers side don't think you are going to work around the steering shaft. Just take it apart and zip tie it up out of the way. Also remove both the knock sensors. You'll need the room to get a wrench in there and if you don't have a set of racheting wrenches, or at least a 10mm get some they are worth their weight in gold. Also I wouldn't mess with the stage 8 locking header studs, #1 because I am reading online that the locking tabs will actually vibrate against the headers and the knock sensors will pick up that noise and think it's spark knock. The stud kit I bought from Mr Gasket actually saved me a lot of hassle because they come with a special tool for installing the difficult studs plus they are grade 8 stainless steel with teeth on the stud heads to bite into the headers so they won't loosen not to mention they are half the price of stage 8's.
The oil dipstick wasn't much of a hassle so not sure what everyone complains about that for? Then again I didn't remove mine just bent it while it was still in.
One other thing I noticed was made me feel real good. I started looking at JBA headers and YouTube videos installing them ( boosted Motorsports) and I noticed that the ones I just bought are EXACTLY the same as the JBA except for the price $219 and the little company tag that is welded on. EXACTLY the same. Was shocked and would advise anyone thinking about buying some to do so quickly before JBA realizes that their patterns have been stolen and sues this company! Lol
Going to try to attach some pictures. Hope this helps you all out. Any more help I can be just email me.

IMG_20200724_133247536.jpg

IMG_20200724_133345069.jpg

IMG_20200724_133419586.jpg

IMG_20200725_001421528.jpg

IMG_20200724_133457851.jpg

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kind of wish you wouldn't have used the header wrap so we can see how they hold up over time.

I am not a fan of header wrap myself as it holds moisture that promotes rust.
It also keeps the heat against the metal creating higher metal fatigue.
Your headers will last longer without it. It does keep the under hood temps down though.

They look decent in your pics for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michigan BIGHORN

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
I agree totally and I really didn't want to use the wrap, Lord knows life would have been easier without it but there are some very close tolerances in there like the heater hoses and I was just too scared that without the wrap I would be opening a can of worms. I will keep everyone posted on any problems that might arise. Installed cold air kit and have a mild tune in the computer along with new plugs, catch can and now the headers. Time to finally drive the damn thing! Lol Can't wait to see how she acts now with the mods.

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback, just pulled the trigger on these and the remflex gaskets. I have at least two broken manifold bolts. I do a lot of work myself but I’m not sure I want to tackle this install, I’ll probably take the truck somewhere to have them put on if I can get a reasonable price at a reputable shop.

OP
OP
Michigan BIGHORN

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Ok folks here it is January of 21' and giving an update. I couldn't be happier with the header package I installed myself. Definitely get the Remflex gaskets. After a week and again a month I retourqed the header bolts. Not once did any of them loosen. Tickled pink about that part! Now we're in the deepest part of winter here in the good old U.P. of michigan and I've had zero, let me say it again, zero problems. Combined with the Total Flow 18" direct fit muffler my truck has a very low growl to it. You can tell she ain't stock but it's not straight pipe annoying either (no offense if that's your thing). I would definitely recommend these, this setup to anyone. Matter of fact when I one day go newer I'll do the same exact setup. Only difference this time I'll pay for the labor. Two carpal tunnel and two ulner nerve surgeries the ol hands ain't what they used to be. So folks if you're looking for a direct fit shorty header solution I believe this is the way to go. Bonus that everything including a case of beer comes to under $500 unless prices have gone up. 4.75 out of 5 stars.

OP
OP
Michigan BIGHORN

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Thanks for the feedback, just pulled the trigger on these and the remflex gaskets. I have at least two broken manifold bolts. I do a lot of work myself but I’m not sure I want to tackle this install, I’ll probably take the truck somewhere to have them put on if I can get a reasonable price at a reputable shop.
Happy to be able to shed some insight and help.

Bluto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just received mine. They look good. Looks like quality stainless steel. The welds are as good if not better than the BBKs I’m replacing. They will go on when my new engine goes in. I ordered OEM gaskets and arp bolts.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok folks here it is January of 21' and giving an update. I couldn't be happier with the header package I installed myself. Definitely get the Remflex gaskets. After a week and again a month I retourqed the header bolts. Not once did any of them loosen. Tickled pink about that part! Now we're in the deepest part of winter here in the good old U.P. of michigan and I've had zero, let me say it again, zero problems. Combined with the Total Flow 18" direct fit muffler my truck has a very low growl to it. You can tell she ain't stock but it's not straight pipe annoying either (no offense if that's your thing). I would definitely recommend these, this setup to anyone. Matter of fact when I one day go newer I'll do the same exact setup. Only difference this time I'll pay for the labor. Two carpal tunnel and two ulner nerve surgeries the ol hands ain't what they used to be. So folks if you're looking for a direct fit shorty header solution I believe this is the way to go. Bonus that everything including a case of beer comes to under $500 unless prices have gone up. 4.75 out of 5 stars.
How are they holding up as far as rust is concerned? I'm assuming they're 409 stainless?

OP
OP
Michigan BIGHORN

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
How are they holding up as far as rust is concerned? I'm assuming they're 409 stainless?

I have them wrapped in header wrap to keep the heat down in my engine compartment but as far as I can tell they are holding up great. No indication of any leaks. I believe they are 409 stainless.

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to see the gains from them. I have not had a header bolt break so im worried if I tried to install a pair a stud would snap. i do have 157k on my 2010.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I would like to see the gains from them. I have not had a header bolt break so im worried if I tried to install a pair a stud would snap. i do have 157k on my 2010.

Maybe it's the warmer weather that minimizes the warping? I had a 2010 in ND that snapped a bolt and a 2015 in WA that did the same. Never broke one when I lived in TX or AZ.

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it's the warmer weather that minimizes the warping? I had a 2010 in ND that snapped a bolt and a 2015 in WA that did the same. Never broke one when I lived in TX or AZ.
Ya we don’t get that cold down here in central Texas.

Last edited:

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
OP
OP
Michigan BIGHORN

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)

That would totally make sense. The colder the climate the more expanding and contracting that happens. I had two per side. When I got the stock manifolds off I laid a straight edge across them...YIKES!

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have them wrapped in header wrap to keep the heat down in my engine compartment but as far as I can tell they are holding up great. No indication of any leaks. I believe they are 409 stainless.
What did you notice as far as "seat gains" or overall difference in drivability and response? I'd like to gain anything i can down low with these 3:55 gears w/5speed and 35's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca