New Spark Plugs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I think if you want to use those fancy plugs in the older 4 th gen's you can change(upgrade) the coil packs and then you can use the "newer" style plug. But the're still a pain in the ass to change, especially if your under 6' tall, unless you remove the fender liners.
Jay

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard that as well, but can't find anyone that's actually done it.

Justin Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the plugs on my 2014 ram by removing the inner fender wells. Job was still a pain but would have been way worse if I hadn’t. I’ll be doing it again since I am unhappy with the performance of the champion plugs I installed. My fuel economy has gone straight down the toilet. Sucks to have to do the job again so soon but I’ve eliminated all other things.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I changed the plugs on my 2014 ram by removing the inner fender wells. Job was still a pain but would have been way worse if I hadn’t. I’ll be doing it again since I am unhappy with the performance of the champion plugs I installed. My fuel economy has gone straight down the toilet. Sucks to have to do the job again so soon but I’ve eliminated all other things.

Are champs what came out ?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I feel your pain man. About 2,000 miles into the very first plug change I did on my old 08 years ago, I ended up having to pull them all out and replace with basically the Champion version of the OEM plugs because I found out the hard way that it did not like the next step up platinum tipped Champions that a distant dealership recommended I change to. They said they put the same plugs in whenever someone came in for a plug change, and this way you get twice the mileage out of them. Yeah ok...lol. Truck ran like **** on them and basically I was left with a $65 set of plugs I couldn’t use.

Needless to say it was the plain Jane Champion coppers after there on out till I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ramember when

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unbelievable. I changed the old plugs for NGK Iridiums and started having starting issues ever since. I even warranty swapped all 16 & put fresh ones in there & the problem is still there. Takes 6-7 seconds to crank then start. (New crank & camshaft sensors a week after i installed new plugs hoping that was the issue). Still running the NGK Iridiums but now it bucks occasionally & takes forever to get over 10mph. (Not always)

Have new throttle body, new EGR valve, new pedal position sensor but still have the same issues. Also have the red lightning bolt (lucky me). I'm going nuts here and have to drive an hr to a dealer. Mechanics around here do a 50% satisfaction rate. Had power steering done and after that have belts squeaking. Replaced belts, idler pulleys, water pump, a.c. condenser & still squeaks like crazy. Love the truck but it's driving me crazy!

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck is a 2011 with hemi. It calls for 30,000 mile plug changes. I changed plugs first time at 58,000 and plugs looked good. Now I have 68,000 miles on plugs and still runs good and just got 20.5 mpg on trip. Does anyone else get this kind of mileage on stock plugs and when do you change them,

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
When I had my 11, I made the decision to move to iridium plugs at 120k. After changing plugs every 30k up until then.

I at the same time made the decision to update coils to the 2016 coils.

Since I had 120k on the original coils.

Now the part numberar for the 11 coils and the 16 coils is the same and I went back with the OEM coils. Many people told me, no need to update coils. I did it anyway since the coils were off for the plug change.

Install when as expected, mileage went from 15 to 18, no issues experienced and when I sold the truck at 150k, it was flawless. Guy who bought the truck, still driving it every day, now has over 200k, still has not changed plugs.

By the way, redline 5w30, still no cam issues. Luck of the draw or ????

Say what you want, I believe my decision was spot on. But many will say I spent $$ unnecessarily.

Your call, your truck, your $$.

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Champion spark plugs are for lawn mowers only.